Thread: Random Draft Thoughts

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Random Draft Thoughts

The Jets made the right move in getting Mark Sanchez.

If The Jets front office and coaching staff truly believes that Mark Sanchez is a franchise QB that will be starting for this team for the next 10 to 15 years. Then the move to get him was a no brainer. They didn't give up alot for him. The Jets essentially gave up a 2nd rounder, a starting defensive lineman and two backups on their roster in Elam and Ratliff.

Jay Cutler, who is a top 10 NFL quarterback commanded two first round picks and a 3rd and a starting QB. If The Jets brass thinks that Mark Sanchez is going to be on that level. Then they didn't really mortgage alot to get him. Normally, The price for a franchise quarterback is much more steep. There is nothing more valuable in football than getting that franchise quarterback. You can't put a price on it. Mark Sanchez looks the part and acts the part. Let's pray as Jets fans that he becomes the part and is starting for this team as a franchise quarterback in the years to come.

The Jets found the perfect trade partner in Cleveland. I think that Cleveland made out ok in the trade. They turned their 5th pick into alot of picks. They got two instant starters in the deal in Coleman and Elam. It remains to be seen what they get out of Ratliff but Brett has experience with Brian Daboll, The Browns current OC and former Jets QB coach. Eric Mangini did a good job with his Browns draft. He is stockpiling with his types of players.

The Jets gave up the first day of the draft for Mark Sanchez. They followed that up by giving up their second day of the draft for Shonn Greene. Greene is a power back in the mold of Lamont Jordan and Michael Turner. He runs with a low center of gravity and breaks alot of tackles. He was arguably the best back in the nation last year. The Jets like Rex Ryan stated are going to be a ground and pound team. Last year, The Ravens ran the ball more than any team in football with a 3 headed backfield that consisted of Willis McGahee and two young backs in Leron McClain and Ray Rice. Greene can be the power back that The Jets need to grind out and wear down defenses late in games. It's a talented 3 headed backfield now with Jones, Washington and Greene. There's uncertainty with regards to Jones but I think that he will be a Jet in 2009.

I am lukewarm on The Jets sixth round pick, Matt Slauson. This is a big and tough offensive lineman with versatility and he has experience with the Jets offensive line coach in Bill Callahan. He was one of Callahan's favorite recruits and players at Nebraska. I wanted The Jets to draft TE John Phillips out of Virginia because that's exactly the blocking type TE that The Jets offense desperately needs.

The Jets had only 3 draft picks this year and Mike Tannebaum was just on ESPN stating how the team will look to sign as many as 15 undrafted free agents. The Jets have quite a few areas to address. TE and a speed WR would be ideal but it looks like The Jets are going to go to war with what they have at WR. If I were an undrafted TE, I would look to sign with The Jets. It's a realistic possibility that an undrafted free agent TE will make the Jets team and play alot in year one.
    Last edited by YJF; 04-26-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Lito Sheppard starting CB for a 5th RD pick too

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=YJF;3104630]The Jets made the right move in getting Mark Sanchez.

If The Jets front office and coaching staff truly believes that Mark Sanchez is a franchise QB that will be starting for this team for the next 10 to 15 years. Then the move to get him was a no brainer. They didn't give up alot for him. The Jets essentially gave up a 2nd rounder, a starting defensive lineman and two backups on their roster in Elam and Ratliff.

Jay Cutler, who is a top 10 NFL quarterback commanded two first round picks. If The Jets brass thinks that Mark Sanchez is going to be on that level. Then they didn't really mortgage alot to get him. Normally, The price for a franchise quarterback is much more steep. There is nothing more valuable in football than getting that franchise quarterback. You can't put a price on it. Mark Sanchez looks the part and acts the part. Let's pray as Jets fans that he becomes the part and is starting for this team as a franchise quarterback in the years to come.

The Jets found the perfect trade partner in Cleveland. I think that Cleveland made out ok in the trade. They turned their 5th pick into alot of picks. They got two instant starters in the deal in Coleman and Elam. It remains to be seen what they get out of Ratliff but Brett has experience with Brian Daboll, The Browns current OC and former Jets QB coach. Eric Mangini did a good job with his Browns draft. He is stockpiling with his types of players.

The Jets gave up the first day of the draft for Mark Sanchez. They followed that up by giving up their second day of the draft for Shonn Greene. Greene is a power back in the mold of Lamont Jordan and Michael Turner. He runs with a low center of gravity and breaks alot of tackles. He was arguably the best back in the nation last year. The Jets like Rex Ryan stated are going to be a ground and pound team. Last year, The Ravens ran the ball more than any team in football with a 3 headed backfield that consisted of Willis McGahee and two young backs in Leron McClain and Ray Rice. Greene can be the power back that The Jets need to grind out and wear down defenses late in games. It's a talented 3 headed backfield now with Jones, Washington and Greene. There's uncertainty with regards to Jones but I think that he will be a Jet in 2009.

I am lukewarm on The Jets sixth round pick, Matt Slauson. This is a big and tough offensive lineman with versatility and he has experience with the Jets offensive line coach in Bill Callahan. He was one of Callahan's favorite recruits and players at Nebraska. I wanted The Jets to draft TE John Phillips out of Virginia because that's exactly the blocking type TE that The Jets offense desperately needs.

The Jets had only 3 draft picks this year and Mike Tannebaum was just on ESPN stating how the team will look to sign as many as 15 undrafted free agents. The Jets have quite a few areas to address. TE and a speed WR would be ideal but it looks like The Jets are going to go to war with what they have at WR. If I were an undrafted TE, I would look to sign with The Jets. It's a realistic possibility that an undrafted free agent TE will make the Jets team and play alot in year one.[/QUOTE]

Well if TJ is still on the Team in Sept I finally got a multi running back tandem I really like..I was a Freeman guy but Sanchez grows on you the more you see his positive energy..Class move calling KC..:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=YJF;3104630] If I were an undrafted TE, I would look to sign with The Jets. It's a realistic possibility that an undrafted free agent TE will make the Jets team and play alot in year one.[/QUOTE]

I'd watch Tampa Bay very closely the rest of this off-season to see if this guy gets cut or if we could possibly sign him away.

I was pissed when we let him go last off-season. :yes:

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonpociask/profile?id=POC296635"]http://http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonpociask/profile?id=POC296635[/URL]

Not burner by any stretch, but, he had good hands and was a hell of a blocker.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Savage69;3104639]Well if TJ is still on the Team in Sept I finally got a multi running back tandem I really like..I was a Freeman guy but Sanchez grows on you the more you see his positive energy..Class move calling KC..:yes:[/QUOTE]

I agree. That was very classy.

The Jets gave Sanchez a full private workout and made him make all the throws and all the reads. According to Mark Sanchez, He got the Jets playbook two days before his private workout with The Jets. He obviously aced the test because The Jets made the move to get him.

There's no guarantee that come week 1 that Mark Sanchez will start. The original plan in Baltimore last year was for Troy Smith to start out the season and for Joe Flacco to be a backup but Smith got injured, Boller was Boller and Flacco got thrown to the wolves and passed with flying colors.

You never know what will happen but I expect Kellen Clemens to start the season as The Jets starting quarterback. It's a contract year for KC and he's in the same spot that Drew Brees was in when San Diego drafted Rivers.

[QUOTE=Savage69;3104639]Well if TJ is still on the Team in Sept I finally got a multi running back tandem I really like..I was a Freeman guy but Sanchez grows on you the more you see his positive energy..Class move calling KC..:yes:[/QUOTE]

I assume by KC you mean Clemens as opposed to Kansas City? :) I missed that... What did he say?

All League
    After a day of thinking about it and seeing how hes handled himself, I am becoming optomistic that Sanchez can be "The Man" for the Jets, and think he was worth the little bit tthat the Jets gave up for him. A second and 3 Jags? Nice Deal. :rockon:

That being said, I don't know if Shonn Greene is worth the picks it took to move up and get him. RBs seem to be able to come from ANYWHERE in the draft and be effective. It really depends on the team he goes to. I like that fact that hes a 235lb Power Back to go with Leon and maybe TJ for at least '09, but it was a lot to give up for a team with other needs.

Finally, I think the Slauson pick was a total waste. They could have dropped back and maybe grabbed a couple of 7s, they could have picked up a decent DE or TE...heck, they could have gotten a good Punter. But I truly think that Slauson would be available as an UDFA and if Callahan has a "relationship" with him, it should have been an easy sign.

WHen you are only taking 3 players from he draft, each pick needs to be a player that contributes, and I only see this guy being AT BEST a third stringer or PS guy.

You can't judge the draft yet, but I like the Sanchez pick up and think the Greene move is "OK" but cost a LOT....and the 6th rounder was a total throw away.

Only time will tell.

Great stuff YJF. Right on the money.............

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3104668]

You can't judge the draft yet, but I like the Sanchez pick up and think the Greene move is "OK" but cost a LOT....and the 6th rounder was a total throw away.

Only time will tell.[/QUOTE]

In 1965 when we drafted Joe we had 20 picks..The only one that stuck other then Joe was 3rd rd pick Verlon Biggs...:eek:

well, i took me just about a full day to digest the fact that we got mark sanchez in the first round, when all i wanted was a WR. it's true what other people are saying: his positive attitude is certainly changing my perspective on him. we just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best. picking greene in the 3rd helped ease the shock of round 1. that was perfect timing and we need the RB considering TJ may or may not be here much longer. O-lineman? i guess it's a necessity and adds depth, but i think the jets really needed depth on the Dline now that coleman is gone. we can still be competitive despite not having a big target at WR. something to obviously attain in 2010 draft. i think it's a really strange feeling still knowing that we actually drafted a qb who can throw the ball and who is a proven winner in a winning program and seems to be a level headed nice guy- rather than someone who has no arm but a really nice guy (Penny), or a guy with a cannon who is a senior citizen(Vinny), or a future HOFer who looks good on paper but fell to pieces when it counted (Favre).

[QUOTE=Savage69;3104685]In 1965 when we drafted Joe we had 20 picks..The only one that stuck other then Joe was 3rd rd pick Verlon Biggs...:eek:[/QUOTE]

So was JI complaining then that the Jets only had 20 picks? :P

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=C Mart;3104723]So was JI complaining then that the Jets only had 20 picks? :P[/QUOTE]

Didn't have computers then but the crying then would have drowned the site if we did..;)