Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mort reported on ESPN that the Jets are talking to Plaxico (merged)

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3105049]My ass, money talks with the court system and Plax has plenty of that.

Mike Vick HAD to get locked up because what he did...Was EVIL.

Who had Plax hurt? NoOne except himself.[/QUOTE]

Doesnt matter. The gun charge will stick. The mayor has already commented on this.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3104699]Plaxico in handcuffs >>>>> Brad Smith[/QUOTE]

hahaha, very true

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3105043]If any team should go after Burress..It's the Jets.

Burress would never have to move or buy a new home, we would stay in his comfort zone and thats right here in New York.

If O.J Simpson beat a double murder because of money alone...I have a feeling that Burress can beat this gun charge without doing a single day in jail.

If Mike Vick actually hurt INNOCENT dog's and committed evil crimes on Animals by killing them if they lost the fight and only got two years? Something tells me that Plaxico could walk away with doing little to no time at all. Who did Burress hurt? Other than himself.

The Jets better sign this talent before a team like the Patriots have Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress with Brady running the show. Or how about the Bills with T.O and Burress? Or maybe even the Dolphins are trying to match the Pats and Bills with a #1 WR of their own?

Sign this man.[/QUOTE]

New York has some of the toughest gun laws in the country, and he broke them......and the Mayor has spoken out about it making sure he's not getting any special treatment just because he's famous. He's going to jail, I don't think that's even debatable at this point. The question is for how long?

Sign Burress and Vick please! :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3104699]Plaxico in handcuffs >>>>> Brad Smith[/QUOTE]

LOL

All Pro
    I guess that Jets fans have decided that character isn't important any longer.. :P

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

Veteran
    i think hes gonna play this year n get off with probation n **** ton of community service...

commish will use his suspension and games missed last year as punishment

[QUOTE=ListerFiend;3105251]i think hes gonna play this year n get off with probation n **** ton of community service...

commish will use his suspension and games missed last year as punishment[/QUOTE]

no way. He is going to serve time.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3105191]New York has some of the toughest gun laws in the country, and he broke them......and the Mayor has spoken out about it making sure he's not getting any special treatment just because he's famous. He's going to jail, I don't think that's even debatable at this point. The question is for how long?[/QUOTE]

Now, I know having a gun is a serious issue, but lets be real here... the concealed weapon carriers that the laws are trying to stop are not the regular taxpaying members of the public, nor the occasional star who gets caught with a gun. The laws are meant to decrease violent crimes. Violent crimes, at least I imagine, tend to be committed by people who have demonstrated violence before. Not to say people who have not been violent can not become violent, just that most of the crimes with guns they would like to see decrease in frquency are likely committed by repeat offenders.

All that being said... Plax is not a convict. He is stupid yes, but not a convict. He is not likely to have been plotting on going out and shooting his ex-girlfriend or a rival dealer caught pushing booger sugar on his side of the block. I understand the law is black and white and not written with amendments based upon individual circumstances, but... do you send Plax to jail for this?

Jail? Attica? Sing Sing? Rykers? Rahway? I could prolly get away with a first time concealed weapons charge, and I am not someone who can afford a high priced attorney, nor am I someone who could use my star athlete status as a bargaining chip in negotiating some sort of plea agreement inclusive of community service like Plax.

He will go to a bunch of schools... talk about his experience... let the kids know what he did was wrong... etc etc etc. That would all mean nothing from me. Plax? Big deal.

I aint saying he should get a pass. I am saying that I imagine they have bigger fish to fry and more violence prone offenders to incarcerate than him. He could do more good going on a tour of NY schools and setting up weapons for dollars drives and things of that nature.

Make his penalty in fines equal to $50 for each gun he gets people to turn in during his cash for guns drives. The economy is bad. People would bring guns in for fifty bucks.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jet Fumes;3105379]The economy is bad. People would bring guns in for fifty bucks.[/QUOTE]

This would only solidify PT Barnum's old adage...

Jets acknowledge looking at Burress

BY ERIK BOLAND | [email]erik.boland@newsday.com[/email]
    10:23 PM EDT, April 26, 2009

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - The Jets had been quick to refute rumors that had them connected to controversial quarterback Michael Vick and receiver Terrell Owens.

The reaction was not as swift last night after they were linked with Plaxico Burress.

The Jets first declined comment before later saying they had looked into the troubled receiver's legal status.

"Consistent with our normal approach of performing our due diligence, we contacted [agent] Drew Rosenhaus several days ago prior to the draft to inquire about Plaxico's pending legal situation," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said last night in a statement. "However, we have had no discussions with Drew about Plaxico since that time."

A source familiar with the situation said the Jets "kicked the tires [on Burress]. It has not advanced beyond that point.''

With the draft in its seventh round early last evening, ESPN reported the Jets had internal discussions regarding the talented receiver, who is facing jail time after shooting himself in the leg in a nightclub last year.

The Giants released Burress, whose next hearing in the case is scheduled for June 15. Burress and his attorney are trying to reach a plea agreement that excludes jail time, but the prosecution to this point has balked.

No deal with Burress appears forthcoming, though the Jets have not offered the same emphatic "not interested" they did in recent months regarding Vick and Owens.

During their post-draft news conference, Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan said they are happy with the Jets' current crop of receivers, which includes Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey and David Clowney, who is one of the team's fastest players but still unproven at the position.

In theory, the 6-5 Burress is exactly what the Jets' offense needs - a proven big-body, No. 1-type wideout. Of course, he was what the Giants needed, too.

[url]http://www.newsday.com/about/ny-spplax2712701590apr26,0,1745058.story[/url]