Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: curiosity?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

curiosity?

I was sitting here at home watching the draft and it occured to me, what if one of the players the jets traded to cleveland fails a physical. Then what? I mean i doubt we have to give back the draft pick, but what happens then?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would guess (and this carries no weight at all) that there are backup, boilerplate provisions in the contract that assigns a future draft pick to each player should they fail their physical. Ex. If Coleman fails, Cleveland gets a 2010 5th, etc.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    but i thought any player that fails a physical automatically cancels a trade

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most draft day trades are worked out beforehand, it wouldn't suprise me in the least if they were done before the draft by the Cleveland doctors.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would assume that while some trades are conditional on all players passing a physical - that can't be the case here. There's no way to undo the trade at this point.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    can a projected #1 overall pick choose to not enter the draft and sign with any team he desires?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jr420x;3104879]can a projected #1 overall pick choose to not enter the draft and sign with any team he desires?[/QUOTE]

How can you have like 1200+ posts ans ask this question?

If you don't get drafted you are a free agent.

If you get drafted you are the property of the team that drafted you until the following year's draft when you can get drafted again and you then belong to that team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BUD329;3104921]How can you have like 1200+ posts ans ask this question?

If you don't get drafted you are a free agent.

If you get drafted you are the property of the team that drafted you until the following year's draft when you can get drafted again and you then belong to that team.[/QUOTE]

your not understanding my question, what i am asking is can you choose NOT to enter the draft and sign with any team you desire. For example say peyton manning decided to not enter the draft in 98, could he have just went and signed with the jets. just asking thats all.