Thread: Enough with this WR crap!

Veteran

Enough with this WR crap!

I may be in the minority here but I am totally fed up with the obsession about the WR position. I intend to address all three of the complaints about our WR situation; Philosophy; Draft; Free Agency/Trade options.

First: The Jets team Philosophy. The Jets are attempting to build a great defense and an offense that runs the ball effectively. They are not, and have no immediate plans to become, a passing team ala the Colts and Cardinals. The Jets will creat shorte fields for the offense by forcing turnovers and having solid special team units.

Second: It is often a total waste to draft a WR early in the draft, especially in the 1st round. They take too long to develop, if they even develop at all. For every Fitz, Andre Johnson, and Calvin Johnson; there are at least five more like Troy Williamson, Reggie Williams, Peter Warrick, David Terrell, Charles Rogers, etc. Even the elite WR's listed above, the so-called athletic freaks, taken early in the first did not make much of an impact until at least their second year. None of the WR's in this draft are likely to make much of an impact until their third year. Also, the Jets apparently tried to get back into the 1st to take Percy Harvin. The fact that they tried should help to quell some of you that desire a reciever above all else.

Third: The free agent options many of you are whining about. If the only issue to acquire Anquan Boldin was a 2nd round pick, the whole league would be interested. Anquan Boldin wants like $10 million per year. He is not anywhere close to worth that kind of money. On to Braylon Edwards. Keyshawn once stated the guy could not "catch a cold on a rainy day in Alaska." And finally the newest name being thrown around, Plaxico Burress. The guy is a headache. He cares only about himself, skips practices and meetings, and creates unnecessary distractions. He will require more time and effort than he could possibly be worth.

I am ecstatic that the Jets avoided the temptation of taking a WR. The Jets might even be pleasantly surprised if one of the young wideouts already on the roster develops this year.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 08-18-2010 at 07:54 AM.

[QUOTE=RoadFan;3104835]I may be in the minority here but I am totally fed up with the obsession about the WR position. I intend to address all three of the complaints about our WR situation; Philosophy; Draft; and Free Agent/Trade options.

First: The Jets team Philosophy. The Jets are attempting to build a great defense and an offense that runs the ball effectively. They are not, and have no plans to become, a passing team ala the Colts, Cardinals, etc.

Second: It is often a total waste to draft a WR early in the draft, especially in the 1st round. They take TOO long to develop...if they even develop at all. For every Fitz, Andre Johnson, and Calvin Johnson...there are at least five Troy Williamsons', Reggie Williams', RJ Sowards', Marcus Nashs', Peter Warricks', David Terrells', Freddie Mitchells', Rod Gardners', Rashaun Woods', Charles Rogers', Travis Taylors' ( I could go on but, hopefully, you get the idea) Even the best of the recent WR's listed above, yeah the athletic freaks, taken early in the first did not make much of an impact until at least their second year. None of the WR's in this draft are likely to make much of an impact until their third year. Also, the Jets apparently tried to get back in the 1st to take Parcy Harvin. The fact that they tried should help to quell some of you receiver starved die-hards.

Third: The free agent options many of you are whining about. If the only issue to acquire Anquan Boldin was a 2nd round pick....the whole league would be interested. Anquan Boldin wants like $10 million per year. He is NOT, anywhere close to worth that kind of money. On to Braylon Edwards. Keyshawn once stated the guy could not catch a cold on a rainy day in Alaska. Now the newest one, Plaxico Burress. The guy is a total douchebag! He cares only about himself, skips practices and meetings, creates unnecessary distractions, and requires more time and effort than he could possibly be worth.

I am ecstatic that the Jets avoided temptation to avoid taking a WR. The Jets might even be pleasantly surprised if one of the young wideouts already on the roster develops this year. Are there any other Jet fans out there that feel like I do? If you are tired of reading one post after another about, "What about a WR?"....let yourselves be heard here!!!![/QUOTE]

1ST: in order to be a truly effective run team, you need a down field threat. take last year giants as an example, as soon as plaxico got hurt, they werent as effective as running

2nd: chances of landing a fitz or megatron is rare but we certainly could have used a player like donnie avery, desean jackson etc service-able players that held there own in their first year.

3rd: boldin is worth that kind of money. not worth the draft picks though. youre right i DONT like plax neither. braylon is a star, TO had plenty of drops either, leaving out his off field problems etc, hes one hell of a football player

i do hope our young WR can turn into something special but at the end of the day, if were going to get a franchise qb, we need WR for him to throw to.

I agree.

The other thing is that we have some quality receivers already.

You want a speed guy to stretch the field? We got that. Clowney ran a 4.3 something with a tweeked hammy. The guy can fly and has great hands.

You want a tough possesion reciever? We have one of the best in the game with Jericho.

You want a quick, shifty slot guy? Stuckey is your man.

Or maybe you want a big red zone receiver? Enter Marcus Henry.

We got our QB and RB of the future this weekend. Let's let our guys play and if we need to upgrade at WR. I am pretty sure they will be having another one of these draft thingys again next year.
    Last edited by GandWFan; 04-26-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the amazing athlete Brad Smith. (not counting on much from him though)

[QUOTE=TheOne;3104865]1ST: in order to be a truly effective run team, you need a down field threat. take last year giants as an example, as soon as plaxico got hurt, they werent as effective as running

3rd: boldin is worth that kind of money. not worth the draft picks though. youre right i DONT like plax neither. braylon is a star, TO had plenty of drops either, leaving out his off field problems etc, hes one hell of a football player

i do hope our young WR can turn into something special but at the end of the day, if were going to get a franchise qb, we need WR for him to throw to.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with these 3 points. I have a feeling that Clowney has a chance to be something big, and that maybe the Jets brass feels the same way. I remember seeing on Jets Nation last week that Clowney's 40 time of 4.35 back in early 2007 on a grass field would have been faster than all but one WR in this year's combine. His actual 2007 combine number was only 4.4 because he had a hamstring injury at the time.

[QUOTE=TheOne;3104865]1ST: in order to be a truly effective run team, you need a down field threat. take last year giants as an example, as soon as plaxico got hurt, they werent as effective as running[/QUOTE]

Finally someone who gets it. You need players that defenses respect at every position regardless of WHAT type of offense you want to run. If we don't have receivers that defenses respect they will just load up on our running game and shut it down every week. They'll blitz the hell out of our wet behind the ears QB because they can shut our receivers down with single coverage. We need a receiver, period. There are no shortcuts or loopholes. The offense is incomplete if we go into '09 with the current WR group.

speed is one thing

route running and catching is another ;)

Banned
    Jet fans have each and every right to dream about WR's such as Boldin, Edwards or Burress being in Green and White here in 2009, every right.

The Jets front office tried to trade back into the 1st round after drafting our Franchise QB for a reason...They wanted a WR like Harvin @ a position of need. Reports have it that the Jets are now starting to talk with Burress which means that the Jets front office is trying to upgrade the WR position, and I love it.

So lets not act like the fans of the Jets are the ONLY people who are no longer "Loving our WR situation".

It's no secret that the loss of Coles has hurt the overall makeup of our passing game because we really had it made with Cotchery as our #2 WR, Stucky in the Slot along with a really talented pass catching TE in Dustin Keller. Now that Coles is no longer a Jet, we have question marks on the offensive side of the ball...As far as the WR positions go.

Now Cotchery will be our #1 WR, I'm all for that because the man can catch around 80-90 passes per season while putting up around 1,000 yards which in my eyes means that this kid deserves to be a #1 WR @ the age of 26 but still...The Jets would be better off with Cotch as our #2 WR with either Burress/Boldin or Edwards as our #1 and what team wouldn't be?

Stucky will continue to make his mark as the Jets next best thing as far as becoming our Slot WR and I love Stucky in the slot but there's only one problem....

Who's going to man the #2 WR position? Thats the question and please, dont act like the #2 WR position isn't important because it is. Just ask Arizona along with the Colts and Bengals how awsome it is to have a #2 WR that can play like a #1. I'm going to miss Cotch as our #2 WR.

Clowney? I love his speed along with his potential but I'm sorry...The man is really raw as far as running routes as well as beating press coverage @ the NFL level.

And yeah, it's no secret that Rex Ryan wants a strong rushing attack with Thomas Jones, Leon Washington and now Shonn Greene because we REALLY do have a solid O-Line, but who are you to say something like...[B]"They are not, and have no plans to become, a passing team ala the Colts, Cardinals, etc"[/B]

Because the last time I checked, we just went out and traded for, and drafted a potential Franchise QB and if we didn't plan on being a great passing team, we would have stuck with Kellen Clemens and drafted an O-Lineman with our 1st pick @ #17.

I have loved this offseason but a WR like Edwards or Burress would turn this Jets Offense into one of the best around.

All League
    [QUOTE=GandWFan;3104880]I agree.

You want a speed guy to stretch the field? We got that. Clowney ran a 4.3 something with a tweeked hammy. The guy can fly and has great hands.

You want a tough possesion reciever? We have one of the best in the game with Jericho.

We got our QB and RB of the future this weekend. Let's let our guys play and if we need to upgrade at WR. I am pretty sure they will be having another one of these draft thingys again next year.[/QUOTE]

Works for me! I am very pleased with the draft! We got guys that we are going to use and not drafting players just to draft them and then don't even offer them contracts like those teams that stockpiled picks and will end up cutting some of them.

[QUOTE=GandWFan;3104880]I agree.

We got our QB and RB of the future this weekend. Let's let our guys play and if we need to upgrade at WR. I am pretty sure they will be having another one of these draft thingys again next year.[/QUOTE]

I would also like a guy who will command and beat double coverage consistently. I don't see that guy on our roster.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=fullblast;3104977]I would also like a guy who will command and beat double coverage consistently. I don't see that guy on our roster.[/QUOTE]

You're right...he isn't on the roster. That guy would be nice to have. But he probably wasn't in the draft either.

All League
    Define down field threat.

How about....Can run a route and get open between 20-30 yards away from the Line of scrimmage. That works for me. Does he have to be 60 yards down field to be 'down field'? Does he have to be open by a mile, or just a step or two? With a good QB, a step or two works fine.

We have a dozen guys on the roster who can get open a step or two 30 yards down field.

We're fine. Just because we don't have Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson does not mean our existing WR's are no good.

Before Brady had Moss who was NE's #1 WR? They had 6 guys who were all good WR's, none named Calvin or Andre. They won a bunch of SB's before Moss ever showed up. In fact, they have not won a SB with Moss. So there.

All League
    think it only helps young Qb's when they have talented recievers

FYI- David Clowney is as fast as any WR in this draft.

Here's Scout's Inc. take on David Clowney back in 2007. Seems like a whole lot of good positives and only a few negatives, most of which have to do with not being bulky enough.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a lean, angular frame with room to carry more bulk without it affecting his quickness … Has adequate power to fight through the jam and get into position to make the tough catches in a crowd … Not big, but is a slippery route runner whose suddenness causes defenders to struggle in attempts to get their hands on him in attempts to reroute … Blessed with the elusiveness and second gear to escape the initial tackler and separate in the open field … Shows fluid change of direction agility and despite his slight frame, he utilizes his explosion to defeat the jam … Does a nice job of gearing down and dropping his weight when working through a crowd … Has the plant-&-drive agility coming out of his breaks to get under the deep pass … Has the explosion to instantly gobble up the cushion and will win most foot races in the open … Sinks his pads with fluidness and is deceptive with his acceleration, as he looks effortless gliding towards the ball … Stays in control getting in and out of his break point … Has the quick vertical burst and lateral agility to come back for the poorly thrown pass … Shows good awareness for locating the soft spots in the zone, dropping his weight to settle underneath … Can generate that second gear needed to make the over-the-shoulder grabs … Uncovers and finds space when working in the short area and can drive off on the slant due to his quickness … Has large, natural hands and shows proper technique extending to catch outside his frame … Does not hesitate going for the ball in a crowd (but lacks the size and strength to dominate) … Shows a steady stride and burst throughout his route progression … Even with his blazing speed, he knows how to regulate so he does not outrun the deep throws … His hard planting agility lets him separate from the crowd after the catch … Has good pluck-&-snatch ability, doing a good job of making body adjustments to the ball in flight … Can get in and out of his break point, doing a nice job of driving off on slants when working in the short area … Keeps his feet working along the sidelines and will catch with his hands outside his framework … Very elusive runner once he reaches full stride … Has the crisp cutting agility that lets him come out of his breaks without having to throttle down … Adequate cut blocker who uses his hands well vs. second level defenders and despite a lack of bulk, he works hard to sustain, especially when blocking for the running game … Can add some value as an emergency kickoff returner.

Negatives: Capable of retaining plays, but needs several reps to do so … Lacks the bulk to face up to defenders when blocking in-line, as he will generally be pushed back or run over … Needs to get a clean release off the line, as his lack of bulk and power can see him get rerouted by the more physical cornerbacks … Can get in and out of his break point, but then starts to coast too often, which lets the defensive back recover … Can outrun most defenders, but once the opponent latches on to him, the battle is over.

Compares to: Kevin Curtis, Philadelphia … Clowney has few peers when it comes to gaining separation on deep routes. He might not have the bulk to be a physical type working underneath, but when he makes those over-the-shoulder grabs, he is almost certain to beat his man, thanks to his hard planting agility that lets him slide past the opponent to pick up positive yardage.

AGILITY TESTS
    Campus: 4.29 in the 40-yard dash (indoor rubber track) … 4.35 in the 40-yard dash (outside grass field) … 275-pound bench press … 450-pound squat … 226-pound power clean … 6.69 three-cone drill … 36-inch vertical jump … 31 1/8-inch arm length … 9 5/8-inch hands … 18/20 Wonderlic score.

Combine: 4.4 in the 40-yard dash (with hamstring pull)… 1.57 10-yard dash … 2.54 20-yard dash … 4.15 20-yard shuttle … 11.75 60-yard shuttle … 7.0 three-cone drill … 32.5-inch vertical jump … 10'3" broad jump.
    Last edited by Kleckomania; 04-26-2009 at 07:57 PM.

- Lets sell the farm to draft a franchise QB who can 'make all the throws'
    - Lets not attempt to upgrade a poor WR group, or at the very least untested.

Sorry, this is akin to drafting the franchise QB and then having an o-line. If we wanted to be a great defence only run the ball kind of team why did they go to the great lengths to get a QB.

Rookie
    WR is the position on O that you can get fill with B level guys and still get solid production. If we can add a serviceable WR to what we already have I think we can get by without picking up a big threat wideout.

Worm

All League
    clowney and cotch will be our #1/#2. who cares which one you list first.

we'll be fine.

throw keller/stuckey/wright/henry/smith/raymond into the mix.

we'll have a good bunch.

[QUOTE=RoadFan;3105001]You're right...he isn't on the roster. That guy would be nice to have. But he probably wasn't in the draft either.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, I'm just stating facts. We're kinda screwed at WR right now. Some people think we're fine with the current crop.