Thread: Rex Ryan's first draft: Not a single defensive player taken

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex Ryan's first draft: Not a single defensive player taken

That is probably the most surprising thing to me. Couple it with the fact that we traded away a starting DE and Safety and we've actually lost players on Defense without adding any youth. I know we addressed the D quite a bit in FA with Scott, Leohnard, etc. but it is still surprising. If anything, it shows me that he's embracing being a head coach, open to new ideas/approaches, and not fixated on defense. I like that!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We brought in a lot of defensive players over the past few months and we ignored offense, so there really way no need to draft any defenders.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    not a big deal.

the Oakland Raiders haven't drafted a defensive player, since Howie Long.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's safe to say we will sign a ton of UDFA according to the press conference just a couple hours ago. Mr T said they were not done and are going to be on the phone all night ready to sign UDFAs.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vin777b;3104853]not a big deal.

the Oakland Raiders haven't drafted a defensive player, since Howie Long.[/QUOTE]

fantastic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets already got a starting DE in Douglas, two solid corners in Strickland and Sheppard, and one of the league's best cover linebackers in Bart Scott. Green and Pouha are adequate backups and there are still tons of talented UDFAs available. The offense was what we needed to focus on and Tannenbaum was smart to address two glaring needs: the quarterback position, and our short yardage/goal line running game.