Thread: I might not love this draft...but I love Mike T.

All League

I might not love this draft...but I love Mike T.

First off let me say I am warming up to the Sanchez pick. For crying out loud every freakin guy on ESPN , NFL Network, NFL Radio ETC ETC love the kid and think he was the best pick in the draft. How the hell did Stafford get picked ahead of him...oh yeah it was the Lions!!

Forget about only having three picks and who they were because we wont know how they work out for a few years....lets talk about Mike Tannenbaum.....I love the guy!! I am telling you NO GM works harder, you can tell this guy does not rest. Maybe deals like last year with Favre didnt work out but that doesnt stop the guy....he keeps going full steam ahead making deals.....signing big free agents and moving up for who he thinks is a franchise QB. In my opinion he is one of the top GM in the league.....love the guy.

You had 3 threads bashing him already, I think we helped.

[QUOTE=DBAKE;3104988]First off let me say I am warming up to the Sanchez pick. For crying out loud every freakin guy on ESPN , NFL Network, NFL Radio ETC ETC love the kid and think he was the best pick in the draft. How the hell did Stafford get picked ahead of him...oh yeah it was the Lions!!

Forget about only having three picks and who they were because we wont know how they work out for a few years....lets talk about Mike Tannenbaum.....I love the guy!! I am telling you NO GM works harder, you can tell this guy does not rest. Maybe deals like last year with Favre didnt work out but that doesnt stop the guy....he keeps going full steam ahead making deals.....signing big free agents and moving up for who he thinks is a franchise QB. In my opinion he is one of the top GM in the league.....love the guy.[/QUOTE]

As a fellow Jet fan, I completely understand the up and down emotions DBAKE. Nice to see you're finally coming around a bit. :yes:

Banned
    I love how alot of Jet fans who didn't understand the significance of drafting a franchise QB at first...Are now starting to watch youtube video's on Sanchez, starting to listen to what NFL experts are saying about this kid and overall...Are really starting to fall in love with this pick while jumping on the Mark Sanchez wagon like it's no tomorrow, I love it.

Jet Fans: We have a Franchise QB here in Mark Sanchez and he's not just a "Franchise QB", He's a special talent and a player that has the confidence, ability and the heart to lead a team for years to come.

Just watch this kid celebrate after a huge play...The man plays the game with a love for the game thats 2nd to none and he honestly reminds me of a Favre type of QB with the way that he approaches the game of football. He plays with a fire and I can respect that.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of our draft overall.

I'm not sold on Sanchez, regardless of what the experts say. My eyes don't see the greatness.

I like Greene but another trade up leaves the draft cupboard bare.

We have given our 'franchise' QB no receiving threats.

We have no TE behind Keller

We lost a safety and a DE and did not add players to provide depth in those areas.

We once again drafted an olineman in the late rounds ala garner and Bender.

We are very thin depth wise.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3105073]I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of our draft overall.

I'm not sold on Sanchez, regardless of what the experts say. My eyes don't see the greatness.

I like Greene but another trade up leaves the draft cupboard bare.

We lost a safety and a DE and did not add players to provide depth in those areas.

We are very thin depth wise.[/QUOTE]

Didn't you know Beer, we're the minority and classified idiots in these here parts :rolleyes:

i never understood the ignorant tanny bashing. EVERY pick or trade can either be a great move or a bust in hindsight, but there can be no question that tanny has dominated the last few offseasons. i know there is an entire team of talent behind the scenes that goes into scouting and getting guys like harris and revis in front of mike t's eye to say - "you have to do whatever you can to get this guy". but all credit to tanny for making the moves - being aggressive - and realizing that two studs in a draft is better than 7 picks where success is a complete gamble.

I agree that the trade was great to move up 12 spots. I dont' know if Sanchez is the answer, but if the Jets management thinks so, certainly worth an extra 2nd rounder and some fringe starters.

However, I think they gave far too much up to move to get Greene. To give up a 4th and a 6th to move up 12 spots... especially for a RB, just seems unnecessary. That's something that'll be felt in a few years.

Overall, I think going after Sanchez was worth, but I'm not nearly as sold on the 3rd round trade.

I am all for going after Plexico though. That would be huge, even if he does have to sit out 4-6 weeks

[QUOTE=oh well okay;3105085]i never understood the ignorant tanny bashing. EVERY pick or trade can either be a great move or a bust in hindsight, but there can be no question that tanny has dominated the last few offseasons. i know there is an entire team of talent behind the scenes that goes into scouting and getting guys like harris and revis in front of mike t's eye to say - "you have to do whatever you can to get this guy". but all credit to tanny for making the moves - being aggressive - and realizing that two studs in a draft is better than 7 picks where success is a complete gamble.[/QUOTE]

I give Tannenbaum all credit for going after what he wants player wise but sooner or later you need more than 3 draft choices per year or the depth of the team begins to suffer badly and one injury can be catastrophic.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. No one knows if Sanchez'll pan out for awhile. We have to see how he translates to the NFL before we do. All the nay sayers are Jets fans as well though and are of course hoping he pans out. It's becoming easier for people to accept for a few reasons:

- You love Tanny making the big move to try and win.

- 99.9% of experts love the move, saying he's the best pick in the draft. Obviously, these guys are not always right. But if almost all of them say someone will be good, I'd tend to agree with them.

- Sanchez is coming into an offense with Schotty that he already knows very well from his days at USC. The schemes were very, very similar. He will obviously still need to make some adjustments, but he's a QB that fits our system and will be ahead of the curve.

- If Sanchez works out, the Jets will be well on their way to a SB. This is the one position they just could never settle, for whatever reason. Sanchez looks like has all the physical tools, mental tools, intangibles, and support to be successful as an NFL QB in NY.

I realize it's hard as a Jets fan to believe in anything like this since we've been spurned time and time and time again. But let's put our faith in Sanchez. He could very well be the real deal.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3105073]

We are very thin depth wise.[/QUOTE]

No receiving threats? Cotchery has the ability and has caught around 80-90 passes per year with around 1,000 yards every year as a full time starter. Dustin Keller is one of the best pass catching TE's in the game today-He's a special talent and Stucky can make for an explosive slot WR. Lets not forget that Leon Washington has really good hands for a RB out of the backfield.

I'm a HUGE supporter of going after a Burress or Boldin type of WR but you know what? Since when was Cotchery, Keller, Stucky and Leon considered "Not to be a threat" in the passing game?

How did we lose a Safety in Elam??? When we signed Jim Leonard to be our starter during the offseason?

How did we "Lose" a DE in Coleman when we signed Douglas during the offseason? Douglas was also a starter on the Ravens D-Line.

Something tells me the Jets front office knew what they were doing when they signed Leonard and Douglas and thats the reason why we traded Coleman and Elam. Put it this way...If we NEVER would have signed Coleman and Douglas, we would have NEVER traded Coleman and Elam.

And with the 6th round pick...We signed an O-Lineman for Deph-Not to be a future star. I'm not sure any G.M expects to draft a "Star" after the 5th and 6th rounds.

The only thing the Jets "Lost out on" was a 2nd round draft pick and we gained a potential Franchise QB and you know what? We drafted a 2nd round talent in Shonn Greene in the 3rd round, a back that scored 20 TD's last year, rushed for over 100+ yards like 11 games in a row and won the award for "Best running back in the NATION"

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;3105082]Didn't you know Beer, we're the minority and classified idiots in these here parts :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

you're not idiots, and Beerfish expressed some very valid concerns.

but it's also April 26th.

most of our needs are of the backup variety and can be filled with cheap free agents. let's wait and see what the roster looks like going into training camp before freaking out about depth.

All League
    yes i am coming around to liking the sanchez pick but this is more about my how much i like tannenbaum....overall i am still overall negative on our team and wether or not we improved much from friday til today.

that being said, i have faith in tannenbaum and he will make moves to fill the holes...:yes:

[QUOTE=DBAKE;3105159]yes i am coming around to liking the sanchez pick but this is more about my how much i like tannenbaum....overall i am still overall negative on our team and wether or not we improved much from friday til today.

that being said, i have faith in tannenbaum and he will make moves to fill the holes...:yes:[/QUOTE]

Do you live in a gray world somewhere between the lines or what? Everything is sorta maybe not to sure but what the heck but then again if I really think about it with you.

God bless you DBAKE, hopefully you come around to all this...which is what I thought you were saying before you weren't? LOL

All Pro
    I'm fine with the move up for Sanchez (although I wonder if we still could have moved to 8 instead to get him). Regardless, because we made that move and gave up 3 players, I don't think we really had the luxury of moving up in the 3rd for Greene.

First of all, I think there's a pretty decent chance he would have lasted to our pick as he wasn't considered one of the hottest names on the list at that point.

Second, I think we could have gotten a very good player there even if Greene was gone, and still gotten a good player in the 4th round. We did have holes to fill, particularly in light of the Sanchez trade so I just didnt' love the 3-for-1 trade of picks.

Now having said that...if Greene turns out to be the kind of guy who regularly blasts holes for in defenses for 3 tough yards, I'll never look back with regret on the missed 4th and 7th round picks. This is where the draft will be judged a year or two from now. When the move up works (see Revis and Harris) nobody remember the lost picks.

No receiving threats? Cotchery has the ability and has caught around 80-90 passes per year with around 1,000 yards every year as a full time starter. Dustin Keller is one of the best pass catching TE's in the game today-He's a special talent and Stucky can make for an explosive slot WR. Lets not forget that Leon Washington has really good hands for a RB out of the backfield.
    [B]
    Cotchery is a good receiver but had a disappointing year last year. Keller had a nice rookie year and is a TE. Stuckey is an unknown quantity. [/B]

I'm a HUGE supporter of going after a Burress or Boldin type of WR but you know what? Since when was Cotchery, Keller, Stucky and Leon considered "Not to be a threat" in the passing game?

How did we lose a Safety in Elam??? When we signed Jim Leonard to be our starter during the offseason?

[B]It's called depth, if leonard or rhodes go down in game one are you comfy with having Eric capppola Smith start for the year?[/B]

How did we "Lose" a DE in Coleman when we signed Douglas during the offseason? Douglas was also a starter on the Ravens D-Line.
    [B]
    Depth, Ellis is older, Douglas will probably be fine, either of those guys go down and we have Devito as a starter for the year?[/B]

Something tells me the Jets front office knew what they were doing when they signed Leonard and Douglas and thats the reason why we traded Coleman and Elam. Put it this way...If we NEVER would have signed Coleman and Douglas, we would have NEVER traded Coleman and Elam.

[B]For sure Douglas and Leonard were upgrades, once again who is behind our starters?[/B]

And with the 6th round pick...We signed an O-Lineman for Deph-Not to be a future star. I'm not sure any G.M expects to draft a "Star" after the 5th and 6th rounds.

The only thing the Jets "Lost out on" was a 2nd round draft pick and we gained a potential Franchise QB and you know what? We drafted a 2nd round talent in Shonn Greene in the 3rd round, a back that scored 20 TD's last year, rushed for over 100+ yards like 11 games in a row and won the award for "Best running back in the NATION"

All League
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3105219]Do you live in a gray world somewhere between the lines or what? Everything is sorta maybe not to sure but what the heck but then again if I really think about it with you.

God bless you DBAKE, hopefully you come around to all this...which is what I thought you were saying before you weren't? LOL[/QUOTE]

Hess...your dead on!! I have flip flopped on sanchez 2 or 3 times today but the point of this post was that I love our gm and come september he will have the pieces in place and it will be up tp MR. SANCHEZ to deliver.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[B][CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="7"][COLOR="DarkRed"]... Mikey T = THE MAN !!! ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER][/B]

... we are very lucky to have him at the top of our football pyramid ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=DBAKE;3104988][B]First off let me say I am warming up to the Sanchez pick. [/B] For crying out loud every freakin guy on ESPN , NFL Network, NFL Radio ETC ETC love the kid and think he was the best pick in the draft. How the hell did Stafford get picked ahead of him...oh yeah it was the Lions!!

Forget about only having three picks and who they were because we wont know how they work out for a few years....lets talk about Mike Tannenbaum.....I love the guy!! [B]I am telling you NO GM works harder, you can tell this guy does not rest. Maybe deals like last year with Favre didnt work out but that doesnt stop the guy...[/B].he keeps going full steam ahead making deals.....signing big free agents and moving up for who he thinks is a franchise QB. In my opinion he is one of the top GM in the league.....love the guy.[/QUOTE]

D'B...I'm a big Tanny fan myself. He's aggressive and tireless in pursuit of talent to improve the Jets. He leaves no stone unturned. He's a Parcels guy(my favorite alltime coach)so I'm hoping he can survive and grow as the GM NYJ.

The move up to get Sanchez took balz to do. The price was very reasonable, for a move up of 12 spots. And make no mistake about it, Tanny has put his reputation and job on the line with this move. I personally have confidence in Sanchez, so I think he took this chance for the right player.

Looking forward to beating you in JI'S Pick'Em Confidence pool this coming year;)(you were 1st and I was 2nd)