Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shonn greene=marion barber III

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=genom;3105142]Yea, except for one small detail. Barber ran a 4.49 while our guy ran a 4.65. There's no way this guy can succeed in the NFL with that type of speed.[/QUOTE]

Umm, Bettis ran a 4.66 in the combine. I think he did pretty ok -

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=genom;3105142]Yea, except for one small detail. Barber ran a 4.49 while our guy ran a 4.65. There's no way this guy can succeed in the NFL with that type of speed.[/QUOTE]

Disagreed... we dont need him to out run as most rb's can not out run everyone. We need him to run THROUGH. To break the first tackle, and to be able to stiff arm the safety or corner coming up from the secondary to stop him once he gets past the line of scrimmage.

I dont recall Curtis Martin out running alot of people. He was good for the open field move, but in the open he could be caught from behind. Same with Emmit Smith. Hell same with Thomas Jones!

As long as Greene is difficult to tackle and can not be handled one on one, his speed or lack there of will not be a hinderance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Fumes;3105272]Disagreed... we dont need him to out run as most rb's can not out run everyone. We need him to run THROUGH. To break the first tackle, and to be able to stiff arm the safety or corner coming up from the secondary to stop him once he gets past the line of scrimmage.

I dont recall Curtis Martin out running alot of people. He was good for the open field move, but in the open he could be caught from behind. Same with Emmit Smith. Hell same with Thomas Jones!

As long as Greene is difficult to tackle and can not be handled one on one, his speed or lack there of will not be a hinderance.[/QUOTE]

Exactly bro, exactly so +1 with that post right cheah!

I remember...I would always call C-Mart, Curtis "Caught from behind" Martin.

We already have a well rounded back in Thomas Jones, we have a true speed back thats explosive in the open field in Leon Washington and this is why it's awsome that we now have a power back in Greene.

This man rushed for almost 2,000 yards last year (His 1st year as a starter)

He rushed for 100+ yards in like 11 games in a row

And he also earned the award for best college back in the nation

And we drafted this guy in the 3rd round? No WONDER why we traded up for this man. He's a power back that can move the pile and thats something the Jets attack has been missing for years now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrickHouse;3105265]Umm, Bettis ran a 4.66 in the combine. I think he did pretty ok -[/QUOTE]

Didnt even think of the Bus....

Exactly right though... you could catch him, but... who in the hell was gonna tackle him?

Brandon Jacobs same thing... I wouldnt wanna tackle him.

5'10 and 230lbs? I am 6'2... played some football in my day... let me tell you... tackling the short stocky kid was infinitely difficult. No matter how "low" I was told to go to tackle the short stocky guy, it was never low enough. I could always catch him but dammit if the ooompa loompa bastid wasnt always hard to tackle.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait to see this guy square his shoulders and drive through Mayo, Poluzny and Crowder.

Forget Earth, Wind and Fire

The new combo is "Fort" Greene and Washington "Heights".

4/26/09: I'm trademarking that nickname for anyone that steals it. Not so fast Cimini .

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't crazy about the move for Sanchez, but I love, love, [B]LOVE[/B] the Shonn Greene pick. He's the type of RB that I've wanted the Jets to get for years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you honestly think that every successful running back has 4.4 speed, particularly those at 230+? What do you think TJ would run at right now, by the way?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RIJetFan;3105505]Do you honestly think that every successful running back has 4.4 speed, particularly those at 230+? What do you think TJ would run at right now, by the way?[/QUOTE]

I'll grant you guys Bettis. Who else? I'm not being facetious, just curious.
    Last edited by genom; 04-27-2009 at 02:18 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some players...when they put on the pads and strap on the helmets...play faster then whatever they time in those Dog and Pony Combine-Pro Day Events. Greene is one of them. You see him using his good balance and vision, spinning and bouncing off of defenders, treading laterally, then accelerate thru a hole he finds, and you see him turn on another gear, like a hungry runner that hears the TD chow bell ring. IMO...Shonn Greene is what you see him doing...being a big bruising RB that can both move the chains, and rip off big gains.

I really like this pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just made a thread detailing Greene vs Moreno at the combine.

MORENO RAN A 4.62!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyjets1969;3105067]I hope after trading up for this guy means that the Jets will package fat mouth Jones for a WR.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see that but I just don't think it's going to happen. With Arizona or Cleveland (maybe Mangini wants Jones back??) maybe we can work something out, but at this point I just don't see it happening.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3105184]
    He rushed for over 100+ yards like 11 games in a row
    [/QUOTE]

13, but hey who's counting.:D