Thread: From now on, Tanny should really start thinking about stockpiling more picks...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

From now on, Tanny should really start thinking about stockpiling more picks...

I love what he did these past 2 days. But teams build depth on their team through the draft by getting 7 players or so. The Jets haven't drafted 7 players under Tannenbaum. I realize he's been getting good players, and that's what's most important. But at this point, they need to start thinking about depth on the roster. Come next year, they need to start thinking a little bit more about quantity in my opinion.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BIGKIDD325;3105196]I love what he did these past 2 days. But teams build depth on their team through the draft by getting 7 players or so. The Jets haven't drafted 7 players under Tannenbaum. I realize he's been getting good players, and that's what's most important. But at this point, they need to start thinking about depth on the roster. Come next year, they need to start thinking a little bit more about quantity in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Tannenbaum has been successful picking up young players outside of the draft, Clowney, Turner, Trusnik, Murrell just to name a few. You could also throw Ratliff in that mix since he was part of a deal that got us Sanchez...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We did draft 10 players in 2006 but I agree with you. That's what I wanted to see them do this year. I give them a pass based on the possibility of having just drafted our franchise QB but going forward they really need to hold onto their picks and start turning them into more picks. We are running thin at several positions and it will start to catch up. We were lucky last year with few key injuries but it won't always shake down that way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather they collect 2-3 stars every year and fill the rest of the roster with FA signings... then draft 12 guys, and cut 6-8... as it stands, some very fine Patriot players will be on our roster this year after they are done with their cuts. :D

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we will in future drafts.. Start by trading up to take your superstars then start stockpiling after your base has been built. We spent many of our draft picks to take young studs at key positions (MLB, CB, QB, RB).. In upcoming drafts we'll have more picks and be drafting people to compliment our key players that we traded up for

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    We use free agency and trades to fill a lot of our holes (starters Jones, Faneca, Woody, Richardson, Pace, Jenkins, Leonhard, Sheppard were all obtained via FA or trade). Tannenbaum likes to have flexibility when draft day comes. He just prefers quality over quantity with draft picks and I'm not sure that that's ever going to change. It's worked well so far if you go back and look at all the picks.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BIGKIDD325;3105196]I love what he did these past 2 days. But teams build depth on their team through the draft by getting 7 players or so. The Jets haven't drafted 7 players under Tannenbaum. I realize he's been getting good players, and that's what's most important. But at this point, they need to start thinking about depth on the roster. Come next year, they need to start thinking a little bit more about quantity in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I too like what Tannenbaum has done. He's done so well in fact that some Jets fans have gotten so giddy that someone posted a suggested trade of Thomas Jones for Bouldin. I'm still LMAO at that one. However, I agree with your concern about our depth. It's not a major complaint, but I think that next season, after WR and D-line, that should be or focus.