View Poll Results: Which format should the draft be this year?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Fantasy World Cup

3 37.50%
  • A Current Players Draft

3 37.50%
  • A Nationality Draft

2 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The _____________ Draft

The _____________ Draft

Ok, the time has come for the 2nd soccer forum draft. Last year we did an all time draft that went really well and was a lot of fun. However, doing an all time draft again would be redundant, and therefore I find it is necessary to change to up the format this year.

Some ideas include:

An all country draft- (Spain, France, Australia, Bosnia)
    An all decade draft- (80's, 90's, 20's)
    A current player only draft- (The only format where Paul Robinson might be drafted)
    An all league draft- (Football League, Seire A, MLS)

If anyone has any ideas, comments, interest, or nice things to say feel free to post.

How about an all current players draft? There are a few legends who still play the game, and it would be creative to match them up with some current future stars. And a rule would be you can't draft a player who you previously took in the old draft.

Veteran
    I think no matter what the criteria there should be 2 or three wild cards. Sort of like the foreign player allowence.

I'm good for any of the above options except all MLS. The only guy I know there is freddy ljungberg.

An all-Liverpool one?

What about one where its all-time but we go by letters? Say, in sequence, so the first person has to pick someone whose last name starts with A, second person with B and so on. Or the first person starts with A, and then the next person has to pick a player whose last name starts with the last letter of the first person's player's first name, etc etc. Or something like that......

Er, how about an all-Liverpool one?

Veteran
    We could each pick a nation to draft from, but that would be more like hypothetical fantasy world cup rather than a draft....still could be fun though...

Hall Of Fame
    you guys can pick it...can i just request that you wait till after the 7th to start it up...law school finals and all that jazz...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
    law school finals and all that jazz...
    ah a fellow lawyer.

which school?

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    We could each pick a nation to draft from, but that would be more like hypothetical fantasy world cup rather than a draft....still could be fun though...
    Now that's an interesting idea.

But we should not get to pick our favorite countries, i.e. I couldn't represent Italy, Raoul wouldn't do France, you wouldn't do Turkey, etc. In fact, maybe the countries should be assigned randomly if we go with this option.

Hall Of Fame
    ah a fellow lawyer.

which school?
    Rutgers-Camden

we may not have the prestige of the top law schools, but someone did get shot outside our bookstore yesterday...not a student fortunately...

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm in!

Any form is cool with me.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Now that's an interesting idea.

But we should not get to pick our favorite countries, i.e. I couldn't represent Italy, Raoul wouldn't do France, you wouldn't do Turkey, etc. In fact, maybe the countries should be assigned randomly if we go with this option.
    I like this idea best. What countries could we do? Argentina, Italy, England, France, Brazil, Germany...?

Veteran
    I like this idea best. What countries could we do? Argentina, Italy, England, France, Brazil, Germany...?
    Im in .... any form is cool with me... I like your country picks think you got all the best ones

Yeah, I like that idea a lot. The only problem is that it would not be a draft, as everyone would simply just choose their own teams. Maybe I could set dates for positions to be unveiled so everyone gets the info at the same time. It's a good idea, but one that would require some out of the box thinking.

As for the date I planned to push past AP Exams, so it will not start until the 11th at the earliest.

Anyway I'll devise a way for countries to be assigned to people. Hopefully 16 teams can be created to form an actual tournament, unlike the crappy effort put in last time to figure out a winner.
    Last edited by thegrand11; 04-29-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thegrand11 View Post
    Yeah, I like that idea a lot. The only problem is that it would not be a draft, as everyone would simply just choose their own teams.
    LOL, d'oh. Obvious problem is obvious. Totally did not think of that.

Veteran
    LOL, d'oh. Obvious problem is obvious. Totally did not think of that.

That's why I said it'd be more like a fantasy WC rather than a draft, everyone would get their own pool of talent to choose from.

The draft part could be picking the countries, or would that make it too lopsided in favour of the first 5-6 teams?

Hey guise, I think there may be a female in the soccer forum. Act like you've seen others of her kind before, don't scare her away.

Never mind I just saw the thread of Paulie being the QB of Notre Dame..As you were gents...
    Last edited by The Turk; 04-30-2009 at 02:40 AM.

Veteran
    Since "she" seems to be a futbol affecinado I got an idea that'll settle shygurl's gender issues once and for all;

Shygurl, Can you explain the offsides rule?

Jets Insider VIP
    Since "she" seems to be a futbol affecinado I got an idea that'll settle shygurl's gender issues once and for all;

Shygurl, Can you explain the offsides rule?
    LOL

It took me years to understand the scoring system in European matches, with the away goals counting double if it's a tie.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    LOL

It took me years to understand the scoring system in European matches, with the away goals counting double if it's a tie.
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/24528/soccer_question/

after you watch the commercial scroll down to the comments, the one at the very bottom by JOS was very interesting. Coincidence?

i think the video embeds itself the comment I was referring to was this:

kelly the man
    This 'guy 'is
    Kelly.A very dum dutch girl
    By Jos 3 years ago

Jets Insider VIP
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/24528/soccer_question/

after you watch the commercial scroll down to the comments, the one at the very bottom by JOS was very interesting. Coincidence?

i think the video embeds itself the comment I was referring to was this:

kelly the man
    This 'guy 'is
    Kelly.A very dum dutch girl
    By Jos 3 years ago

kelly
    this woman is kelly she was a man

By Jos 3 years ago

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I should've posted this in teh hamper, it would've netted me 100,000 hamper points easy...