Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Remember the '94 season helmet embarrassement?

  1. #1
    Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    11,669

    Remember the '94 season helmet embarrassement?

    When the NFL was celebrating the league's 75th anniversary and every team wore throwbacks? Every team wore authentic throwback uni's and helmets except the Jets who were too cheap to buy 53 white helmets for the occasion so instead they just changed the decals on the green ones and looked like sh*theads. It was bad enough we also had the "spike game" and season implosion but the helmet incident was the icing on the cake.




    For some reason I just thought of that and it's always irritated me. Friggin' cheapskates.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,420
    I do remember and they modified the uniforms. I also remember Johnny Johnson being caught at the one yard line after a 94 yard run or something close in that bad uniform.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    When the NFL was celebrating the league's 75th anniversary and every team wore throwbacks? Every team wore authentic throwback uni's and helmets except the Jets who were too cheap to buy 53 white helmets for the occasion so instead they just changed the decals on the green ones and looked like sh*theads.



    For some reason I just thought of that. It's always irritated me though. Cheapskates.
    I remember it, and it was very symbolic of the "Hess/Gutman" regime.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,843
    Let's bring up the Mudbowl while we're on the bad old days, also who else was available when we drafted Kenny O, I don't remember.

  5. #5
    Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    11,669
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Let's bring up the Mudbowl while we're on the bad old days, also who else was available when we drafted Kenny O, I don't remember.
    Those were acts of stupidity and ineptness. The helmet incident was just plain cheapness. Come on....you own Amarada Hess...you can't spring for 53 freaking white football helmets?

    It's an outrage, I tell ya!

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,420
    that's why I love Woody. He doesnt seem to hold back with the money. I know he is not popular with the LI crowd, but you must admit he's not cheap.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,320
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    that's why I love Woody. He doesnt seem to hold back with the money. I know he is not popular with the LI crowd, but you must admit he's not cheap.
    No, just stupid. I think I'll take cheap.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    19,179
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Those were acts of stupidity and ineptness. The helmet incident was just plain cheapness. Come on....you own Amarada Hess...you can't spring for 53 freaking white football helmets?

    It's an outrage, I tell ya!
    Ah.... the good ole days with LEON (I want a Superbowl before I die) HESS.

    Promptly fires Pete Carrol and hires DICK Kotite. Carrol was 7 and 7 and then lost the last 2 games.... KOTITE though.

    Nothing about the JETS from 87 to 97 surprised me.

    But here we are.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 04-29-2009 at 06:27 PM.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    When the NFL was celebrating the league's 75th anniversary and every team wore throwbacks? Every team wore authentic throwback uni's and helmets except the Jets who were too cheap to buy 53 white helmets for the occasion so instead they just changed the decals on the green ones and looked like sh*theads. It was bad enough we also had the "spike game" and season implosion but the helmet incident was the icing on the cake.

    For some reason I just thought of that and it's always irritated me. Friggin' cheapskates.
    And don't forget we had one of the worst QB's in our history at that point.



    SAR I

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Good running back, though.



    SAR I

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Those were acts of stupidity and ineptness. The helmet incident was just plain cheapness. Come on....you own Amarada Hess...you can't spring for 53 freaking white football helmets?

    It's an outrage, I tell ya!


    SAR I

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,517
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Those were acts of stupidity and ineptness. The helmet incident was just plain cheapness. Come on....you own Amarada Hess...you can't spring for 53 freaking white football helmets?

    It's an outrage, I tell ya!
    Sooth i have go into my jet box and check the game day magazine for that day.. I think it says that they did the green helmets becuase the nfl requires written notice or something within a certian time to change the uniforms, especially teh helmet. I have to look it up and post

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post


    SAR I
    lol....oh man, you just know someone will get overly sensitive and call for a banning with that one, especially after "Yom Kippur-gate" this year!

  14. #14
    we would haha

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Quote Originally Posted by djaparz View Post
    Sooth i have go into my jet box and check the game day magazine for that day.. I think it says that they did the green helmets becuase the nfl requires written notice or something within a certian time to change the uniforms, especially teh helmet. I have to look it up and post


    There's an excellent book called "The Gang Green" which is a hysterical look back at the folly of the 1970-1996 New York Jets and I'm 90% sure it's mentioned how the Jets were too cheap to get the white helmets.

    SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 04-29-2009 at 07:52 PM.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    lol....oh man, you just know someone will get overly sensitive and call for a banning with that one, especially after "Yom Kippur-gate" this year!


    SAR I

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,796
    thought they were kinda cool actually

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jackson Heights
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    When the NFL was celebrating the league's 75th anniversary and every team wore throwbacks? Every team wore authentic throwback uni's and helmets except the Jets who were too cheap to buy 53 white helmets for the occasion so instead they just changed the decals on the green ones and looked like sh*theads. It was bad enough we also had the "spike game" and season implosion but the helmet incident was the icing on the cake.




    For some reason I just thought of that and it's always irritated me. Friggin' cheapskates.

    There was an NFL rule that stipulated the colors of the helmets could not be changed mid season. That was my first season with seasons so I can be blamed for the whole fiasco. I reme,ber being in the bathroom up 24-6 at halftime and everyone having a good ol time lighting up cigars and I knew we were doomed right then.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,517
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post


    There's an excellent book called "The Gang Green" which is a hysterical look back at the folly of the 1970-1996 New York Jets and I'm 90% sure it's mentioned how the Jets were too cheap to get the white helmets.

    SAR I
    i have the book great read!!

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,517
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    There was an NFL rule that stipulated the colors of the helmets could not be changed mid season. That was my first season with seasons so I can be blamed for the whole fiasco. I reme,ber being in the bathroom up 24-6 at halftime and everyone having a good ol time lighting up cigars and I knew we were doomed right then.
    Yep the league had to be notified before the season started of dates to change helmet colors.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us