Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember the '94 season helmet embarrassement?

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    [QUOTE=djaparz;3110801]Sooth i have go into my jet box and check the game day magazine for that day.. I think it says that they did the green helmets becuase the nfl requires written notice or something within a certian time to change the uniforms, especially teh helmet. I have to look it up and post[/QUOTE]

The league choreographed the whole throwback uniform thing to coincide with the 75th anniversary there wasn't any permission issue. Every team wore a throwback for at least one game that season as directed by the league. The Jets complied but cheaped out by not wearing an authentic helmet.

Lame. Simply lame.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The also wore the same uniforms for the '93 season to commemorate the 25 year anniversary of Super Bowl 3.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3111073]The league choreographed the whole throwback uniform thing to coincide with the 75th anniversary there wasn't any permission issue. Every team wore a throwback for at least one game that season as directed by the league. The Jets complied but cheaped out by not wearing an authentic helmet.

Lame. Simply lame.[/QUOTE]

True. The Chargers and Pats both wore white helmets that year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chargers 1994 uni's.

[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/xjagrx/NFL%20Authentic%20Jerseys/1994%20Throwbacks/sdmeans.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patriots.

[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/xjagrx/NFL%20Authentic%20Jerseys/1994%20Throwbacks/ne-coats.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raidahs.

[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/xjagrx/NFL%20Authentic%20Jerseys/1994%20Throwbacks/laraidersrec.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Broncos.

[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/xjagrx/NFL%20Authentic%20Jerseys/1994%20Throwbacks/den-sharpe.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bills/Oilers.

[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/xjagrx/NFL%20Authentic%20Jerseys/1994%20Throwbacks/buff-v-hou-1.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I

LOL the Jills cheaped out too.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3110755]Ah.... the good ole days with LEON (I want a Superbowl before I die) HESS.

Promptly fires Pete Carrol and hires DICK Kotite. Carrol was 7 and 7 and then lost the last 2 games.... KOTITE though.

Nothing about the JETS from 87 to 97 surprised me.

But here we are.[/QUOTE]

Actually Carrol was 6-5 and then we lost the last 5 games to finish 6-10....followed by two years of a combined 4-28 by Dick Kotite.

But I agree with you, Carrol never should have been fired. Didn't Kotite take the Eagles from 8-2 or 7-2 to an 8-8 finish that year also? I could be wrong though.

Wasn't there a big conspiracy that a bunch of the vet players quit on Carrol at the end of that season? I don't really remember since I was only 10 at the time, but maybe some of the elder fans can enlighten me?

And I kinda like those Raiders throwbacks in '94.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could be wrong But you don't even have to buy new helmets... just paint em... and a week later paint em back...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3110689]When the NFL was celebrating the league's 75th anniversary and every team wore throwbacks? Every team wore authentic throwback uni's and helmets except the Jets who were too cheap to buy 53 white helmets for the occasion so instead they just changed the decals on the green ones and looked like sh*theads. It was bad enough we also had the "spike game" and season implosion but the helmet incident was the icing on the cake.

[IMG]http://www.mikestanhope.com/jets94.jpg[/IMG]

For some reason I just thought of that and it's always irritated me. Friggin' cheapskates. :([/QUOTE]

If I remember they weren't allowed to wear their white helmets. Not that they were too cheap to use different helmets. The NFL allowed for the uni changes but helmet color switch wasn't part of the deal, had to be approved earlier.

Given that the Green helmets were a different color green than what they were wearing at the time not getting how they saved money.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3111663]If I remember they weren't allowed to wear their white helmets. Not that they were too cheap to use different helmets. The NFL allowed for the uni changes but helmet color switch wasn't part of the deal, had to be approved earlier.

Given that the Green helmets were a different color green than what they were wearing at the time not getting how they saved money.[/QUOTE]

Exactly and with the exception of the Pats and Chargers all the other teams chaned logos as well as the jets but kept a solid color helmet.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hess was a lot of things.

Cheap wasn't one of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Led Halen;3111461][B]Actually Carrol was 6-5 and then we lost the last 5 games to finish 6-10....f[/B]ollowed by two years of a combined 4-28 by Dick Kotite.

But I agree with you, Carrol never should have been fired. Didn't Kotite take the Eagles from 8-2 or 7-2 to an 8-8 finish that year also? I could be wrong though.

Wasn't there a big conspiracy that a bunch of the vet players quit on Carrol at the end of that season? I don't really remember since I was only 10 at the time, but maybe some of the elder fans can enlighten me?

And I kinda like those Raiders throwbacks in '94.[/QUOTE]

Playing for first place and lost to the fins in the "Spike Game" which led to a 5 game losing streak.

Hess' hard business side didn't like the Carrol easy going atmosphere all season. The story went that on a return flight after a loss and the season down the drain, Carrol was "surfing" down the aisle on takeoff on a food tray and Hess made up his mind that he had to go.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 04-30-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3111663]If I remember they weren't allowed to wear their white helmets. Not that they were too cheap to use different helmets. The NFL allowed for the uni changes but helmet color switch wasn't part of the deal, had to be approved earlier.

Given that the Green helmets were a different color green than what they were wearing at the time not getting how they saved money.[/QUOTE]

Broncos, Oilers, Chargers and others changed helmet color.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been a Jets fan for most of my 35 years and I don't recall this old logo/green helmet at all. Strange.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Led Halen;3111461]Actually Carrol was 6-5 and then we lost the last 5 games to finish 6-10....followed by two years of a combined 4-28 by Dick Kotite.

And I kinda like those Raiders throwbacks in '94.[/QUOTE]

Carrol was a Herm type coach. He was a good defensive coach for us. And thats what makes it ironic that his defensive players quit on him. He had the players play pick up basket ball games at the trining camp, he had a movie night before the opening game at Buffalo - which we went in and detroyed them the next day and won the home opener vs Denver the following week on a Nick Lowery FG. But we lost some bad games that we should have won. The Miami game was the start of the slide. I remember reading the next day at practice Ronnie Lott had every playoff scenario printed up and distributed to the team to show that the spike loss was not a seaosn ender. But it was the end. I believe Carrol benched Brian Washington for a game and instead of being on the sidelines or something he was in the stands watching or never showed up to the game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3111119]Broncos.

[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/xjagrx/NFL%20Authentic%20Jerseys/1994%20Throwbacks/den-sharpe.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

LOL the Bronco logo makes it look like it's choking on a piece of food :D

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The whole thing was orchestrated by the league to celebrate it's anniversary. There weren't permission issues here. They cheaped out. FACT.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i liked those green helmets, man. :D

I think they were badass. They look like something out of a prison football team.