Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remember the '94 season helmet embarrassement?

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3111712]Hess was a lot of things.

Cheap wasn't one of them.[/QUOTE]

You're right. Just look at the cash he pumped into the Jets training facilites over the years and also that new stadium he built after leaving Shea.

He was a regular money bags when it came to the team. :rolleyes:

The only time he came close to being a "spender" was at the end of his life when he spent some FA money on guys like O'Donnell and then paid Parcells. Only because he knew his time left was limited and was desperate to try to field a decent team.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3111990]The whole thing was orchestrated by the league to celebrate it's anniversary. There weren't permission issues here. They cheaped out. FACT.[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember that the unis were part of the deal, but to change helmet colors you needed approval a year in advance.

Makes no sense to me that this would be a money issue. How much could it possible cost to paint helmets? Or even to buy new helmets.

Hess never showed himself to be cheap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3111712]Hess was a lot of things.

Cheap wasn't one of them.[/QUOTE]

He had zero football IQ though.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3112004]I seem to remember that the unis were part of the deal, but to change helmet colors you needed approval a year in advance.

Makes no sense to me that this would be a money issue. How much could it possible cost to paint helmets? Or even to buy new helmets.

Hess never showed himself to be cheap.[/QUOTE]

How could it be a permission or "approval" issue if the league mandated the throwbacks? It wasn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3112001]You're right. Just look at the cash he pumped into the Jets training facilites over the years and also that new stadium he built after leaving Shea.

He was a regular money bags when it came to the team. :rolleyes:

The only time he came close to being a "spender" was at the end of his life when he spent some FA money on guys like O'Donnell and then paid Parcells. Only because he knew his time left was limited and was desperate to try to field a decent team.[/QUOTE]

O'Donnell wasn't a rarity. Leonard Marshall, Boomer and others came before.

He left the city after they refused to negotiate a deal for a new stadium. Koch turned him down. His team played in a outdated stadium and played second fiddle to a baseball team. Often going deep into the schedule before getting a home game to guard against scheduling conflicts in case the Mets were in the playoffs.

He built new fields and an indoor domed training facilities, costing millions at a school site that he leased.

Jet ticket prices while he owned the team were consistently in the bottom 5 of the NFL while he had a waiting list and could raise ticket prices in line with other teams.

He was one of the last to charge season ticket holders for preseason games, in fact was forced to do so by the NFL.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 04-30-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3110689]When the NFL was celebrating the league's 75th anniversary and every team wore throwbacks? Every team wore authentic throwback uni's and helmets except the Jets who were too cheap to buy 53 white helmets for the occasion so instead they just changed the decals on the green ones and looked like sh*theads. It was bad enough we also had the "spike game" and season implosion but the helmet incident was the icing on the cake.

[IMG]http://www.mikestanhope.com/jets94.jpg[/IMG]

For some reason I just thought of that and it's always irritated me. Friggin' cheapskates. :([/QUOTE]

Jesus, Sooth. Why'd you have to bring those back up? I tried to forget about those.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HitSomeone41;3112007]He had zero football IQ though.[/QUOTE]

That's why I said he was a lot of things. In no way am I trying to defend his football knowledge or his team moves.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3112011]How could it be a permission or "approval" issue if the league mandated the throwbacks? It wasn't.[/QUOTE]

Because the throwbacks had nothing to do with helmets?

I'm not swearing on this, but as I said, I seem to remember this as an issue. That not all teams changed helmets and that it needed to be applied for in advance.

And again, if you had to paint the helmets, how would it save money to paint them a different green as opposed to painting them white?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3112011]How could it be a permission or "approval" issue if the league mandated the throwbacks? It wasn't.[/QUOTE]

Sooth i have to pull out my articles from that year - iused to keep a scrap book pf every season, there was an article stating why the Jets couldn't change the color to the white. It was an NFL thing not a cheap thing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as an owner goes to win championships I think Leon Hess was not eductaed enough. He was a brilliant business man and the Jets to him was a activity not a business venture. Boomer Esiason always praises how he handled his players etc. He took extra good care of Dennis Byrd also. As far as free agents i think our GM can be blamed. I doubt that Woody has a lot to say about FAs besides maybe the Favre pick up. As far as a new stadium, Woody couldn't get it done in Manhattan so Hess would not have been able to. The stadium issue to me means nothing. Giants Stadium has the best sight lines, we are still not in need of a new stadium. Everyone says that we are LI team - that is our roots, yes the offices where in LI and camp was there. But the Mets gave us less say than the Giants do. Atleast we know that withing the 1st 2 or 3 weeks of the season we will have our home opener. With shea the baseball schedule did a lot to hamper a week #1 opener. I have said it a million times the name of the stadium, the colors of the seats, the size of the screens don't give home field advantage. Jet fans, wearing jet colors cheering for a jet team is home field advantage.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been driving for 20 years and I have never purchased a drop of gasoline from a Hess Station, nor will I ever.

Burn in Hell Leon. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3112187]I have been driving for 20 years and I have never purchased a drop of gasoline from a Hess Station, nor will I ever.

Burn in Hell Leon. :D[/QUOTE]

so you love all of our owners huh

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=djaparz;3112216]so you love all of our owners huh[/QUOTE]

Woody is an idiot. But Hess was just evil.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3112026]That's why I said he was a lot of things. In no way am I trying to defend his football knowledge or his team moves.[/QUOTE]

I know brother.

I just wanted to throw my two cents in thats all.

Waterboy
    The Most Corrupt State In The USA, New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the Jets said in a statement that year the players agreed that they didn't want to break in new helmets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3110689]When the NFL was celebrating the league's 75th anniversary and every team wore throwbacks? Every team wore authentic throwback uni's and helmets except the Jets who were too cheap to buy 53 white helmets for the occasion so instead they just changed the decals on the green ones and looked like sh*theads. It was bad enough we also had the "spike game" and season implosion but the helmet incident was the icing on the cake.

[IMG]http://www.mikestanhope.com/jets94.jpg[/IMG]

For some reason I just thought of that and it's always irritated me. Friggin' cheapskates. :([/QUOTE]

I don't think it was about being cheap, the team had been playing in Green helemts and practicing in them so to change colors might have been a bit strange for the players especially Boomer.

-The Bills didn't change their red to white
    -The steelers didn't change to yellow(although they do now)
    -Oak didn't change to black
    -Dal didn't change to white

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3111715]Playing for first place and lost to the fins in the "Spike Game" which led to a 5 game losing streak.

Hess' hard business side didn't like the Carrol easy going atmosphere all season. [B]The story went that on a return flight after a loss and the season down the drain, Carrol was "surfing" down the aisle on takeoff on a food tray [/B]and Hess made up his mind that he had to go.[/QUOTE]

lol, I've never heard that story :D