Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patriots have obtained tight end Alex Smith from the Tampa Bay

Patriots have obtained tight end Alex Smith from the Tampa Bay

Another TE....

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots have obtained tight end Alex Smith from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Patriots gave up an undisclosed pick in next year's NFL draft for the four-year veteran, who was drafted by the Buccaneers in the third round in 2005.

Smith had 129 receptions for 1,252 yards and 11 touchdowns in 58 games. He started 12 of the 14 games he played last year, catching 21 passes.

He caught 41 passes in 2005, the most by a rookie tight end that season.

The Patriots have nine draft picks in 2010 plus an undisclosed choice obtained in a trade that also brought them wide receiver Greg Lewis from Philadelphia.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4118146[/url]

Damn, I thought that would be someone the Jets could pick up... what do we do now???

Banned
    Living in the St.Pete/Tampa area...I've seen just about every game this kid has played in and he's nothing special. Is a bust in just about every TB fans eyes.

Solid deph pickup, Baker is still a better TE than Smith will ever be and I'm just glad we have Dustin Keller.

As a Patriots fan, I am ecstatic about this move!!! This guy was one of the top players in the nation at Utah and I think Belichick will bring out the best in him! :yes:

:D

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3113097]As a Patriots fan, I am ecstatic about this move!!! This guy was one of the top players in the nation at Utah and I think Belichick will bring out the best in him! :yes:

Alex Smith went to Stanford I believe not Utah, you're confused with the QB with the Niners.

Banned
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3113097]As a Patriots fan, I am ecstatic about this move!!! This guy was one of the top players in the nation at Utah and I think Belichick will bring out the best in him! :yes:

:D[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure a Defensive coach like Belly can bring the best outta this guy, but I'm pretty sure Tom Brady can make any player "That much better"

Banned
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;3113102][QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3113097]As a Patriots fan, I am ecstatic about this move!!! This guy was one of the top players in the nation at Utah and I think Belichick will bring out the best in him! :yes:

Alex Smith went to Stanford I believe not Utah, you're confused with the QB with the Niners.[/QUOTE]

Priceless

[QUOTE=Slikmojet;3113102][QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3113097]As a Patriots fan, I am ecstatic about this move!!! This guy was one of the top players in the nation at Utah and I think Belichick will bring out the best in him! :yes:

Alex Smith went to Stanford I believe not Utah, you're confused with the QB with the Niners.[/QUOTE]

Does this one have as good an arm?

All League
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3113095]Living in the St.Pete/Tampa area...I've seen just about every game this kid has played in and he's nothing special. Is a bust in just about every TB fans eyes.

Solid deph pickup, Baker is still a better TE than Smith will ever be and I'm just glad we have Dustin Keller.[/QUOTE]

Will your obtuseness never end. First you embarass yourself in a thread you claim to have a defensive expertise that is not evident in your posts, and now you claim to have the inside scoop on this TE aquisition of the Pats. Evidently the FACTS and what you "claim" to have seen don't seem to match.

Here is what Smith ACTUALLY accomplished in Tampa since 2005 taken from a report on the trade, and I'll let you be the judge whether he is the "bust" this joker says he is.

[QUOTE]As a rookie in 2005, Smith finished second on the team with a career-high 41 receptions for 367 yards (9.0 avg.) and two touchdowns while playing in all 16 games with 10 starts. His 41 receptions led all NFL rookie tight ends that season and ranked third among all league rookies, while standing as the highest reception total by a Tampa Bay tight end in 10 years. As a blocker in 2005, Smith helped open holes for running back Carnell “Cadillac” Williams, who had six 100-yard games and won the NFL Rookie of the Year award. In 2006, Smith played in 14 games with seven starts and finished third on the team with 35 catches for 250 yards (7.1 avg.) and three touchdowns. In 2007, Smith started all 14 games in which he played and finished fourth on the team with 32 receptions for a career-high 385 yards (12.0 avg.) and three touchdow[/QUOTE]

Frankly before I saw this, I didn't think much of the trade myself. I Just figured BB was adding veteran depth to a solid if unspectacular group of 3 existing Vet TEs. It will be great to see 4 guys battle it out for 3 spots during training camp. Competition brings out the best in people. However, although I don't know what he did in 2008, in his first 3 years he put up some pretty good numbers in an offense that didn't seem to have the same QB for 6 games in a row over those years.

Don't forget Tom Brady made Reche Caldwell into the #1 WR on a team that went to the AFCCG, Then 2 years later he was out of the league. Maybe after having QBs like Sims, Griese (the sons not the fathers :D ), and the rest of the QB turnstile that has been in TB the past 3 years since their Superbowl win; Smith could be a great pick up to fit into a proven system with a HOF QB...then maybe he just might prove to be quality depth. The Pats #3 TE, Dave Thomas, after showing great promise his rookie year has spent most of the last 2 years on IR. His only noteworth accomplishment last year was a late hit penalty that cost the Pats a game. (Colts IIRC)

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3113128]Will your obtuseness never end. First you embarass yourself in a thread you claim to have a defensive expertise that is not evident in your posts, and now you claim to have the inside scoop on this TE aquisition of the Pats. Evidently the FACTS and what you "claim" to have seen don't seem to match.

Here is what Smith ACTUALLY accomplished in Tampa since 2005 taken from a report on the trade, and I'll let you be the judge whether he is the "bust" this joker says he is.

Frankly before I saw this, I didn't think much of the trade myself. I Just figured BB was adding veteran depth to a solid if unspectacular group of 3 existing Vet TEs. It will be great to see 4 guys battle it out for 3 spots during training camp. Competition brings out the best in people. However, although I don't know what he did in 2008, in his first 3 years he put up some pretty good numbers in an offense that didn't seem to have the same QB for 6 games in a row over those years.

Don't forget Tom Brady made Reche Caldwell into the #1 WR on a team that went to the AFCCG, Then 2 years later he was out of the league. Maybe after having QBs like Sims, Griese (the sons not the fathers :D ), and the rest of the QB turnstile that has been in TB the past 3 years since their Superbowl win; Smith could be a great pick up to fit into a proven system with a HOF QB...then maybe he just might prove to be quality depth. The Pats #3 TE, Dave Thomas, after showing great promise his rookie year has spent most of the last 2 years on IR. His only noteworth accomplishment last year was a late hit penalty that cost the Pats a game. (Colts IIRC)[/QUOTE]

dude, if you gonna circle jerk about a bum player that 90% of fans don't know just cause the pats* picked him up, do it on pats forum. please stick to making fun of jets fans here...

I think it's a good pickup.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3113151]I think it's a good pickup.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how much the pats need Smith, but he is definitely a good player. He was the best available TE left in the league. We are in trouble at that position in mho. However, I'm sure some TE of note will be available for pickup somewhere.

All League
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3113151]I think it's a good pickup.[/QUOTE]

+1

young player who has already showed promise. whats not to like.

Its a better pickup than Fred Taylor, thats for sure

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=BRONX JET;3113212]+1

young player who has already showed promise. whats not to like.

Its a better pickup than Fred Taylor, thats for sure[/QUOTE]

+1 I agree he has some upside still, but the kid has been dinged up a bit. He certainly has good potential when healthy though. And they still have Watson? Watson Baker and Smith is a VERY solid stable of TE's. They can all catch the ball and I know Baker and Watson as least are decent blockers.

At least that makes him more knowledgable about football than the other trolls around here. :rolleyes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3113103]

I'm not sure a Defensive coach like Belly can bring the best outta this guy

[/QUOTE]

Defensive coach?

You do realize that BB was the HC of the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL?

Banned
    [QUOTE=JetsMakeMeCry;3113147]dude, if you gonna circle jerk about a bum player that 90% of fans don't know just cause the pats* picked him up, do it on pats forum. please stick to making fun of jets fans here...[/QUOTE]

Then why did a Jets fan start this thread?

All League
    [QUOTE=JetsMakeMeCry;3113147]dude, if you gonna circle jerk about a bum player that 90% of fans don't know just cause the pats* picked him up, do it on pats forum. please stick to making fun of jets fans here...[/QUOTE]

Hey I didn't start this thread...which has nothing to do with the Jets. BTW. I didn't make the erroneous comments about Smith's abilities, DWC2 did. AND its not the first time he's made draconian statements about things he clearly doesn't know anything about. (...not that there's anything wrong with that, because this is a message board and we are all entitled to our opinions...even if they are wrong. ;) )

I state in my post that I don't know anything about the guy, but his production his first 3 years on a team that had a bad offense, with a constantly revolving group of QBs, clearly indicates he's not the bum that DWC2 seems to claim.

BTW- since the Jets have NO DEPTH beyond Keller at TE, the Jets might be smart to pick up David Thomas when he eventually gets cut, he looked like a decent receiving TE prospect when he was healthy and on the field. :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

How many TE's do the Pats have these days? It seems like dozens

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3113234]Defensive coach?

You do realize that BB was the HC of the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL?[/QUOTE]

And how exactly did that season turn out? Ill remind you. THE PATS WERE NOT CHAMPIONS>:yes::yes: