Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patriots have obtained tight end Alex Smith from the Tampa Bay

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3113097]As a Patriots fan, I am ecstatic about this move!!! This guy was one of the top players in the nation at Utah and I think Belichick will bring out the best in him! :yes:
    :D[/QUOTE]

You sound just like some of the Jets fans here. Every pick up is an act of genius to turn some sow's ear into a silk purse.... yeah, the Bucs don't know anything...

[QUOTE=jetswin;3113258]How many TE's do the Pats have these days? It seems like dozens[/QUOTE]

Seems like the old days!

If Smith is healthy, I can see BB cutting Dave Thomas loose, possibly Watson, though I doubt that will happen this year.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3113128]Will your obtuseness never end. First you embarass yourself in a thread you claim to have a defensive expertise that is not evident in your posts, and now you claim to have the inside scoop on this TE aquisition of the Pats. Evidently the FACTS and what you "claim" to have seen don't seem to match.

Here is what Smith ACTUALLY accomplished in Tampa since 2005 taken from a report on the trade, and I'll let you be the judge whether he is the "bust" this joker says he is.

Frankly before I saw this, I didn't think much of the trade myself. I Just figured BB was adding veteran depth to a solid if unspectacular group of 3 existing Vet TEs. It will be great to see 4 guys battle it out for 3 spots during training camp. Competition brings out the best in people. However, although I don't know what he did in 2008, in his first 3 years he put up some pretty good numbers in an offense that didn't seem to have the same QB for 6 games in a row over those years.

Don't forget Tom Brady made Reche Caldwell into the #1 WR on a team that went to the AFCCG, Then 2 years later he was out of the league. Maybe after having QBs like Sims, Griese (the sons not the fathers :D ), and the rest of the QB turnstile that has been in TB the past 3 years since their Superbowl win; Smith could be a great pick up to fit into a proven system with a HOF QB...then maybe he just might prove to be quality depth. The Pats #3 TE, Dave Thomas, after showing great promise his rookie year has spent most of the last 2 years on IR. His only noteworth accomplishment last year was a late hit penalty that cost the Pats a game. (Colts IIRC)[/QUOTE]

So you admit you didn't know a lot about him until you heard the Pats got him but then you spend what, maybe an hour reading some of his stats and a write up by someone and you can officially declare he isn't a bust and that he will be a great pickup?

And you think Jet fans are delusional.:rolleyes:

All Pro
    A pretty serviceable player. From what I've seen of him, he 's more the receiving TE type, and not much of the mauler/blocker type, probably not in their greatest of needs, but I still would've taken him on the JETS at this point in time

Banned
    The gap just re-opened.

:steamin:

:rolleyes:

;) someone must have forgot to tell Bellichek that tight ends aren't important, you can just trot an extra OL out there and accomplish the same thing...

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3113128]Will your obtuseness never end?[/QUOTE]

God I hope not.

I was hoping we could get Smith. For what the Pats gave up for him we probably could've done the same. With only one te really on this team (I'm aware of Kareem Brown and the udfa's signings) he would've been a help. He is known to be a good blocking te. I won't be suprised to see the one or two te the Pats cut we pick up. Hopefully we can get an experienced te to play next to Keller.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3113234]Defensive coach?

You do realize that BB was the HC of the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL?[/QUOTE]

Until Tom Coughlin had 2 weeks to prepare for them and they didn't have the Giants defensive signals.

All League
    [QUOTE=Tony Danza;3113285]So you admit you didn't know a lot about him until you heard the Pats got him but then you spend what, maybe an hour reading some of his stats and a write up by someone and you can officially declare he isn't a bust and that he will be a great pickup?

And you think Jet fans are delusional.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

No. MOST Jet fans aren't delusional. I just post when they are. Now I don't know if YOU are delusional, but CLEARLY you either DIDN'T read the description of Smith's production in Tampa, or you COULDN'T comprehend it. (so I put it up again on this post so you don't have to go back to read it. You don't have to thank me.)

[QUOTE]As a rookie in 2005, Smith finished second on the team with a career-high 41 receptions for 367 yards (9.0 avg.) and two touchdowns while playing in all 16 games with 10 starts. His 41 receptions led all NFL rookie tight ends that season and ranked third among all league rookies, while standing as the highest reception total by a Tampa Bay tight end in 10 years. As a blocker in 2005, Smith helped open holes for running back Carnell “Cadillac” Williams, who had six 100-yard games and won the NFL Rookie of the Year award. In 2006, Smith played in 14 games with seven starts and finished third on the team with 35 catches for 250 yards (7.1 avg.) and three touchdowns. In 2007, Smith started all 14 games in which he played and finished fourth on the team with 32 receptions for a career-high 385 yards (12.0 avg.) and three touchdow [/QUOTE]

Let me help you out to decipher it. First in his rookie year he not only led all Rookie TEs in receptions in the NFL, he was 3rd among ALL NFL rookie receivers. BTW, he was second on his team in total receptions. That's pretty good, isn't it. I know if he were a Jet and did that he'd be pronounced an future HOFer all over this board. :rolleyes:

In 2006 and 2007 his production remained pretty consistent. He was among the top 3 or 4 on the team in receptions. Plus you have to remember this was a pretty bad offensive team, which had contantly rotating QBs due to injuries

AGAIN, I didn't say he was a great TE. I was just pointing out that one of your more delusional posters, claimed that he had been a bum in Tampa, when CLEARLY he wasn't. He'd certainly be a welcome addition to the EXTREMELY thin Jet TE situation. I think you would have gotten quite a different repsonse from DWC2 if the Jets had traded for him :D

All League

You do realize that BB was the HC of the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL?[/QUOTE]

For what its worth, Brian Billick was the HC for one of the greatest defenses of all time but would not be considered a defensive guru by anymeans...

[QUOTE=JetsMakeMeCry;3113147]dude, if you gonna circle jerk about a bum player that 90% of fans don't know just cause the pats* picked him up, do it on pats forum. please stick to making fun of jets fans here...[/QUOTE]
    +1 :P

Veteran

He didn't win those SB's with a prolific offense & didn't win one with a prolific offense. But I'm not sure why you would bring that up considering is was just one year, it not like he's done that throughout his career..
    :rolleyes:

Banned
    I actually live in St.Pete/Tampa Bay and I've seen this guy play just about every game...Can Tom Brady make him a better player? I think Tom Brady makes EVERY player around him better, so yeah.

Is he anything Patriot fans should be pumped up about? I put that on the same level of our "Excitement" for players such as Douglas.

Put it this way, Alex Smith has been in the league for 5 years now and last year...He only had 21 Receptions, 250 yards and 3 TD's. And please NE fans...Dont think this man is a deep threat because he's not, he has a career long of only 34 yards.

Last year, as a rookie...Dustin Keller 48 Receptions, 535 yards and 3 TD's. Just about double everything other than TD's with a long of 54.

If they actually would have went and got a TE like Tony Gonzalez, as a Jets fan, I would be like... "Oh snap" but with a guy like this, I roll my eyes because I'm not even sure if he will make the team.

You know how Jet fans call players like Justin Miller a bust? Keep in mind that Miller was atleast scoring us TD's on kick returns well guess what the TB fans are saying about this guy? Put it this way...It's worse than what Jet fans have said about Justin Miller in years past.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 05-01-2009 at 01:24 PM.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3113428]No. MOST Jet fans aren't delusional. I just post when they are. Now I don't know if YOU are delusional, but CLEARLY you either DIDN'T read the description of Smith's production in Tampa, or you COULDN'T comprehend it. (so I put it up again on this post so you don't have to go back to read it. You don't have to thank me.)

Let me help you out to decipher it. First in his rookie year he not only led all Rookie TEs in receptions in the NFL, he was 3rd among ALL NFL rookie receivers. BTW, he was second on his team in total receptions. That's pretty good, isn't it. I know if he were a Jet and did that he'd be pronounced an future HOFer all over this board. :rolleyes:

In 2006 and 2007 his production remained pretty consistent. He was among the top 3 or 4 on the team in receptions. Plus you have to remember this was a pretty bad offensive team, which had contantly rotating QBs due to injuries

AGAIN, I didn't say he was a great TE. I was just pointing out that one of your more delusional posters, claimed that he had been a bum in Tampa, when CLEARLY he wasn't. He'd certainly be a welcome addition to the EXTREMELY thin Jet TE situation. I think you would have gotten quite a different repsonse from DWC2 if the Jets had traded for him :D[/QUOTE]

I read your "detailed analysis" on Smith and it proves zero about him being a good player. Congratulations you have a lesser version of Chris Baker, who you already have. I love the things like "led all rookie TE in receptions", who the hell were rookies that year and were they even good? And just because he was 3rd or 4th in receptions on a bad offensive team does not mean he is good. But go ahead lets all celebrate this amazing pick up that will clearly make the Pats a lock for the superbowl.:rolleyes:

Also yes it would be a good pick up for the Jets because he is replacing an [B]empty void[/B], so try not to use that spin.

All League
    [QUOTE=Tony Danza;3113707]I read your "detailed analysis" on Smith and it proves zero about him being a good player. Congratulations you have a lesser version of Chris Baker, who you already have. I love the things like "led all rookie TE in receptions", who the hell were rookies that year and were they even good? And just because he was 3rd or 4th in receptions on a bad offensive team does not mean he is good. But go ahead lets all celebrate this amazing pick up that will clearly make the Pats a lock for the superbowl.:rolleyes:

Also yes it would be a good pick up for the Jets because he is replacing an [B]empty void[/B], so try not to use that spin.[/QUOTE]

Your getting closer, Tony, but you still aren't there yet. First you miss the point of my original post, which was to counter DWC2's assursion that Smith was an out and out bum. I never claimed he would be anything more than interesting competition in camp between 4 guys competing for 3 slots.

You are a lot closer in your comparison of Smith to Baker. Frankly I hope he blocks as well as Baker, though I think he catches slightly better (from what I read). All I know is that when the Pats open the season, they will have 3 TE's all who are proven NFL starters. They all can block (some better than others), and they all capable of catching 40-50 passes if they were the primary TE, and when you have WRs like Moss W, Galloway, and Lewis, you don't need more than that from the TE. Also I still have a glimmer of hope that Ben Watson will someday become the elite TE of his potential, instead of the decent TE who never quite reached it.

You are also wise in noting that he would have been a better pick up for the Jets than the Pats. Exactly who do you have beyond the starter? Like I said that beyond getting help at WR, the Jets problem for this year will be having a rookie QB and overall depth.

I really don't see the Jets having a problem picking up a couple of decent WRs, or having your own kids take the next step. IMHO WRs are simply the easiest commodity to fill on an NFL roster. The reason is simple. WRs can be anywhere from 5'9 to 6'5, and anywhere from 180-225. So there is just a greater popularion to pick from. As opposed to a 3-4 DE who should be a great athlete, a top competitor, and 6'4+ and 300+lbs. There are a hell of a LOT fewer of them. ;)

Chris Baker, Ben Watson, and Alex Smith? Watson is their receiver and Baker is their blocker, so what's the point of getting Alex Smith?

Banned
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;3113790]Chris Baker, Ben Watson, and Alex Smith? Watson is their receiver and Baker is their blocker, so what's the point of getting Alex Smith?[/QUOTE]

Because Watson has a habit of always getting little boo-boo's.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3113800]Because Watson has a habit of always getting little boo-boo's.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah but is Smith that much better? The Bucs had five TEs on their roster and felt the need to give up a 2 for Winslow, maybe Smith isn't going to cut it against a faster TE like Watson.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3113692]I actually live in St.Pete/Tampa Bay and I've seen this guy play just about every game...Can Tom Brady make him a better player? I think Tom Brady makes EVERY player around him better, so yeah.

Is he anything Patriot fans should be pumped up about? I put that on the same level of our "Excitement" for players such as Douglas.

Put it this way, Alex Smith has been in the league for 5 years now and last year...He only had 21 Receptions, 250 yards and 3 TD's. And please NE fans...Dont think this man is a deep threat because he's not, he has a career long of only 34 yards.

Last year, as a rookie...Dustin Keller 48 Receptions, 535 yards and 3 TD's. Just about double everything other than TD's with a long of 54.

If they actually would have went and got a TE like Tony Gonzalez, as a Jets fan, I would be like... "Oh snap" but with a guy like this, I roll my eyes because I'm not even sure if he will make the team.

You know how Jet fans call players like Justin Miller a bust? Keep in mind that Miller was atleast scoring us TD's on kick returns well guess what the TB fans are saying about this guy? Put it this way...It's worse than what Jet fans have said about Justin Miller in years past.[/QUOTE]

Wes Welker was a joke according to Jets fans when the Patriots signed him. Could not score a TD was the biggest complaint of Jet fans. :rolleyes: