Thread: Best REport So Far By Boland

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Best REport So Far By Boland

[url]http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/[/url]

Morning minicamp with the rookies in "the bubble"

First, to the important stuff.

No punting this morning.

Presumably, punters Eric Wilbur and T.J. Conley will get their game on this afternoon.

Now, to Mark Sanchez.

In the 7-on-7s, Sanchez went 10-for-16 for (approximately) 125 yards, which included – again approximating here – a 65 yard touchdown pass to Marcus Henry. Henry broke open deep in the right seam, having beaten cornerback Sean Smalls (a tryout player from UMass), and Sanchez hit him with a perfect spiral that traveled about 25 yards.

That’s probably what stood out the most in watching Sanchez this morning – his consistency in delivering a spiral on almost every throw. His first few passes were behind the intended receiver, but he soon found his rhythm.

Among those, beside Henry, catching Sanchez’s passes: 6-3 WR Britt Davis (Northern Illinois), 6-2 WR Huey Whittaker (South Florida), 6-6 TE Andrew Davie (Arkansas) and 6-4 TE Robert Myers (Utah State). Myers showed a bit of alligator arms on a deep pass over the middle.

Sanchez didn’t do as much passing the 11-on-11s (I’m assuming we’ll see more of that in the afternoon), going just 3-for-4, though with two exceptional throws. One was a 19-yard completion (Smalls again was the victim) to Davis on the right sideline and the other was a play that went about 40 yards, a solid timing throw down the sideline to Paul Raymond.

Sanchez appears to be able to make “all the throws,” as the cliché goes, and he looked to have the gun to complete those intermediate (15 yarders) balls to the sideline.

Rex Ryan noted afterward – and not without some pride -- that Sanchez worked with some of the rookies last night on aspects of the offense. Ryan found out during practice because the unit looked a bit more in sync with the 18 plays it had been given than he expected.

“He’s a natural leader,” Ryan said of Sanchez. “Some guys can lead and some guys can’t.”

Ryan mentioned, as he did on draft day, the “swagger” Sanchez seems to possess.

Sanchez called his first day, “successful.”

Other things:

* Shonn Greene got a handful of carries in the 11-on-11s and made a good move after catching a screen pass in the right flat. He looks quick to the hole but with players in shorts and helmets, its hard to tell with these things.

* Ryan was asked if any other tryout players impressed him in the morning. He mentioned Rutgers UFA DE Jamaal Westerman and tryout players John Simmons, a 6-4 TE from Minnesota, and Brian Toal, a LB from Boston College.

I would throw in Hofstra’s Ottis Lewis, a 6-6 WR who made a diving reception on the first ball he saw, an out pass of about 10 yards thrown by Harvard QB Chris Pizzotti. The 6-5 Pizzotti, by the way, threw a couple of nice balls, including a 46-yarder during a positional drill that hit Davis in stride by the right pylon.

Afternoon practice at about 4.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=readyforthedraft;3113859][url]http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/[/url]

Morning minicamp with the rookies in "the bubble"

First, to the important stuff.

No punting this morning.

Presumably, punters Eric Wilbur and T.J. Conley will get their game on this afternoon.

Now, to Mark Sanchez.

In the 7-on-7s, Sanchez went 10-for-16 for (approximately) 125 yards, which included – again approximating here – a 65 yard touchdown pass to Marcus Henry. Henry broke open deep in the right seam, having beaten cornerback Sean Smalls (a tryout player from UMass), and Sanchez hit him with a perfect spiral that traveled about 25 yards.

That’s probably what stood out the most in watching Sanchez this morning – his consistency in delivering a spiral on almost every throw. His first few passes were behind the intended receiver, but he soon found his rhythm.

Among those, beside Henry, catching Sanchez’s passes: 6-3 WR Britt Davis (Northern Illinois), 6-2 WR Huey Whittaker (South Florida), 6-6 TE Andrew Davie (Arkansas) and 6-4 TE Robert Myers (Utah State). Myers showed a bit of alligator arms on a deep pass over the middle.

Sanchez didn’t do as much passing the 11-on-11s (I’m assuming we’ll see more of that in the afternoon), going just 3-for-4, though with two exceptional throws. One was a 19-yard completion (Smalls again was the victim) to Davis on the right sideline and the other was a play that went about 40 yards, a solid timing throw down the sideline to Paul Raymond.

Sanchez appears to be able to make “all the throws,” as the cliché goes, and he looked to have the gun to complete those intermediate (15 yarders) balls to the sideline.

Rex Ryan noted afterward – and not without some pride -- that Sanchez worked with some of the rookies last night on aspects of the offense. Ryan found out during practice because the unit looked a bit more in sync with the 18 plays it had been given than he expected.

“He’s a natural leader,” Ryan said of Sanchez. “Some guys can lead and some guys can’t.”

Ryan mentioned, as he did on draft day, the “swagger” Sanchez seems to possess.

Sanchez called his first day, “successful.”

Other things:

* Shonn Greene got a handful of carries in the 11-on-11s and made a good move after catching a screen pass in the right flat. He looks quick to the hole but with players in shorts and helmets, its hard to tell with these things.

* Ryan was asked if any other tryout players impressed him in the morning. He mentioned Rutgers UFA DE Jamaal Westerman and tryout players John Simmons, a 6-4 TE from Minnesota, and Brian Toal, a LB from Boston College.

I would throw in Hofstra’s Ottis Lewis, a 6-6 WR who made a diving reception on the first ball he saw, an out pass of about 10 yards thrown by Harvard QB Chris Pizzotti. The 6-5 Pizzotti, by the way, threw a couple of nice balls, including a 46-yarder during a positional drill that hit Davis in stride by the right pylon.

Afternoon practice at about 4.[/QUOTE]

Great to hear!!

Keep em coming!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Davies looks like he can be a player for us this year. If he can block and supposed has soft hands. Will help out the running game tremendously.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;3113869]Davies looks like he can be a player for us this year. If he can block and supposed has soft hands. Will help out the running game tremendously.[/QUOTE]

Ya the Jets need to find a few gems who can contribute immediatelyto the team and become good role players/backups/STers...I think at least 3 UDFA make the final roster unless they pick up some vets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn this is all just a big tease. This stuff is wetting my appetite for some Jets football and then wham, were going to be cut off till the end of the summer.:steamin:

Oh well looks like I will be playing lots of madden.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tony Danza;3113876]Damn this is all just a big tease. This stuff is wetting my appetite for some Jets football and then wham, were going to be cut off till the end of the summer.:steamin:

Oh well looks like I will be playing lots of madden.[/QUOTE]

well there is an open to the fans mini camp JUNE 9-JUNE 11

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=readyforthedraft;3113859]

* [B]Ryan was asked if any other tryout players impressed him in the morning. He mentioned Rutgers UFA DE Jamaal Westerman and tryout players [U]John Simmons, a 6-4 TE from Minnesota[/U],[/B] and Brian Toal, a LB from Boston College.

Afternoon practice at about 4.[/QUOTE]

After a little research, the guys name is actually Jack Simmons.

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160790"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160790[/URL]

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oooo, he's got swagger! I'm all a dither! :jets_sign

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=readyforthedraft;3113859][url]http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/[/url]

[/quote]

Great, so with Henry (6-4) we now know he can hit giant WRs. :)
    Calling Plaxico Burress and Matt Jones!

(I'm just having fun...very excited about this report)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3113904]After a little research, the guys name is actually Jack Simmons.

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160790"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160790[/URL][/QUOTE]

Jack is a nickname for John.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow i totally forgot toal went into the draft this year. nice solid udfa pick up by us. he was a really good player for BC just had some injury problems couldnt stay on the field. But he could be really nice depth for us if he stayed healthy and made the team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What the heck are "Alligator Arms?"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3114239]What the heck are "Alligator Arms?"[/QUOTE]

Picture trying to catch a ball with your arms straight out snapping together like an alligator's jaw. If that's too hard, picture Justin McCariens. :cool:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ lol @ "If that's too hard, picture Justin McCariens."

[QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3114239]What the heck are "Alligator Arms?"[/QUOTE]

Basically, it's not fully extending your arms to catch the ball.

[QUOTE]Rex Ryan noted afterward – and not without some pride -- that [B]Sanchez worked with some of the rookies last night on aspects of the offense.[/B] Ryan found out during practice because the unit looked a bit more in sync with the 18 plays it had been given than he expected.[/QUOTE]
    I'm loving this kid already.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3114326]Picture trying to catch a ball with your arms straight out snapping together like an alligator's jaw. If that's too hard, picture Justin McCariens. :cool:[/QUOTE]

wow, that is not at all what that means.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HEMPSTEAD;3114330]^ lol @ "If that's too hard, picture Justin McCariens."

Basically, it's not fully extending your arms to catch the ball.

I'm loving this kid already.[/QUOTE]

yep, thats it. Picture a Tyrannosaurus Rex trying to catch a pass. Them arms is too short.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The important thing IMO is the guys around him are saying he has a great attitude, leadership, and he's obviously eager to learn the playbook and improve. That's all you can hope for at this point, and obviously that he stays out of trouble.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Damn this is all just a big tease. This stuff is wetting my appetite for some Jets football and then wham, were going to be cut off till the end of the summer.

[/QUOTE]

+1
    I can't wait for Training Camp and Pre-Season to start.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah..i whiffed on that one. Never connected that phrase to what we often refer to as T-Rex arms. My bad.

Back to our communal, no-homo manlove for Sanchez...