Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From foxsports.com: Top 10 impact rookies (merged)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Top 100 Players from the Draft : Sanchez #3 ? ? ?

2009 Impact NFL Rookies
    Ranking the Top 100 Players from the Draft
    By Paul Bessire, WhatIfSports.com - April 29th, 2009

> [url]http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2009NFLDraft[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

From foxsports.com: Top 10 impact rookies (merged)

3. Mark Sanchez, QB, New York Jets

Mark Sanchez is better than Matthew Stafford. Sanchez projects to complete 60 percent of his passes and an interception per 36 attempts for a typical NFL team. In the same vacuum, Stafford completes 54 percent of his passes and throws an interception every 29 passes. Stafford is ranked higher because of two things: 1) the Lions will throw the ball more and 2) Calvin Johnson. Sanchez should be solid this season and for several years. Neither of these quarterbacks appear to be consistent Pro Bowlers (New York bias aside), yet Sanchez's bust potential is much lower than Stafford's.

Early projection 251/420, 2,793 yards, 17 TDs, 14 INTs

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=9522612#sport=NFL&photo=9522092[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this supposed to be good or bad?

I want a consistent probowler back there damnit!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    fair assessment

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3114153]3. Mark Sanchez, QB, New York Jets

Mark Sanchez is better than Matthew Stafford. Sanchez projects to complete 60 percent of his passes and an interception per 36 attempts for a typical NFL team. In the same vacuum, Stafford completes 54 percent of his passes and throws an interception every 29 passes. Stafford is ranked higher because of two things: 1) the Lions will throw the ball more and 2) Calvin Johnson. Sanchez should be solid this season and for several years. Neither of these quarterbacks appear to be consistent Pro Bowlers (New York bias aside), yet Sanchez's bust potential is much lower than Stafford's.

Early projection 251/420, 2,793 yards, 17 TDs, 14 INTs

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=9522612#sport=NFL&photo=9522092[/url][/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, Vernon Gholston was listed #2 on this list last year at this time. ;)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good find Buzz.

Other than Sanchez and Crabtree, this is the man I wanted the whole offseason and I made that known on draft day.

[B]Percy Harvin, WR/RB, Minnesota[/B]
    Everyone who has seen Harvin run raves about how quickly he can get to full speed and how fast he is with the football. For as impressive as he is to watch, Harvin's numbers are better. Playing against the country's best competition in the SEC, he was always the most dynamic player on the field. Per touch, he has more talent and can bring more to an NFL team than any other rookie. Our projection assumes Harvin is used in a way similar to Reggie Bush (or at least how Bush may be used in a backfield with Adrian Peterson), with 76 rushes, 50 receptions and some return duty.

[B]Early projection — 861 total yards (on 125 touches), 9 TD's.[/B]

It's going to be exciting watching the Vikings this year and man oh man do I wish we could have left this draft with Sanchez, Harvin and Greene but that would honestly be being greedy and thats a sin.

I disagree with those numbers from Harin though, I have a feeling that he will end up with more catches than rushing attempts and thats only because he's a natural WR-Not a RB and the last time I checked, the Vikings dont run a spread offense.

I like to think that I have a good eye when looking @ talent. Years ago, I remember wanting the Jets to draft DeAngelo Williams or A.J Hawk and I also knew that Reggie Bush would NOT be a bust, his talent was to good for that, the man is explosive. I loved when we drafted D'Brickishaw because I knew he could be a Franchise LT and guess what? He's started every game since being drafted.

Last year I wanted either McFadden or Vernon Gholston. McFadden had an average of 4.4 yards per carry last year with Oakland and thats behind a garbage O-Line. Everyone was calling him a "Bust" saying that he "Wasn't an NFL type of running back". And you know what I said? "The man leads the SEC with the most rushing yards ever-Enough said"

Would have LOVED to see what he did behind the Jets O-Line. And as far as Gholston goes...How can you call the man a bust after only one season? I'm still confident in my own ability to see natural talent with my own eyes and thats because I've seen talent and been right time and time again.

This year...I thought Sanchez was the best overall QB and I thought Shonn Greene was a better running back coming out of college than was DeAngelo Williams and thats because Shonn Greene is a beast and dominated as a Pro-Style type of running back.

This year I see Percy Harvin as the most explosive player.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 05-01-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not quite. Sanchez comes to a way better team than the lions. way better. with a solid oline, running game and defense he has much less pressure than corky

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=woodside;3114171]Not quite. Sanchez comes to a way better team than the lions. way better. with a solid oline, running game and defense he has much less pressure than corky[/QUOTE]

I agree. Sanchez has a much better chance to succeed than Stafford. Stafford has no O-line and with that Lion defense giving up 30-40 points a game the pressure will be on to score points.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a side note, It's nice to see that the Dolphins, Bills and Pats dont have any impact rookies on that list. Not that it means anything, but it's just nice to know that the Patriot fans dont have rookie's like Sanchez and Shonn Greene to be excited about here in 2009.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3114308]On a side note, It's nice to see that the Dolphins, Bills and Pats dont have any impact rookies on that list. Not that it means anything, but it's just nice to know that the Patriot fans dont have rookie's like Sanchez and Shonn Greene to be excited about here in 2009.[/QUOTE]

Jerod Mayo aka DROY was probably not on that list last year either......

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Heck67;3114352]Jerod Mayo aka DROY was probably not on that list last year either......[/QUOTE]

He wasn't.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    if he hit those projected numbers for his first season, that would be pretty damn good considering what "consistent probowlers" did their first seasons...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;3114158]Is this supposed to be good or bad?

I want a consistent probowler back there damnit![/QUOTE]

So if he's like Big Ben, wins 1 super bowl, only 1 pro bowl, you're going to be disappointed, right?

Yeah, that would suck...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thshadow;3114663]So if he's like Big Ben, wins 1 super bowl, only 1 pro bowl, you're going to be disappointed, right?

Yeah, that would suck...[/QUOTE]

ahem that's 2 superbowls, no *, and QB of the team of the decade for Big Ben

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=woodside;3114757]ahem that's 2 superbowls, no *, and QB of the [B][U]team of the decade[/U][/B] for Big Ben[/QUOTE]

What a dumbass, Big Ben plays for the Steelers, not the Pats.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3114167]For what it's worth, Vernon Gholston was listed #2 on this list last year at this time. ;)[/QUOTE]

I hope "The GHOST" breaks Brady's knee!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    yet, if sanchez stayed at USC and had another great year, he'd be competing with bradford to be the #1 pick and would be considered a pro-bowl player. since there's no reason to believe sanchez wouldn't repeat another good season, many of the tempered assessments of sanchez are likely due to simply lack of experience. and that's really the main knock on sanchez, it's the relative uncertainty with only 1 season as the starter.

now, to me, bradford is someone who has ample time to stand in the pocket and make his throws. he doesn't have an elite arm either. reminds me of leinart. how is bradford any better than sanchez - except for the fact that he'll have more years of college experience, though not necessarily in a more advantageous system?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3114772]I hope "The GHOST" breaks Brady's knee!!!![/QUOTE]

Dumbass, Brady is smart enough not to just wander over to the Jets bench.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3114761]What a dumbass, Big Ben plays for the Steelers, not the Pats.[/QUOTE]

Hence, team of the decade. If he was on the Pats all he would be recognized is a scumbag and a cheater but you know that already ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3114777]Dumbass, Brady is smart enough not to just wander over to the Jets bench.[/QUOTE]
    [B][SIZE="4"]

Not bad, but

GFY!!!!!![/SIZE][/B]:D