Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

Thread: Starting to watch a lot of soccer (no homo)

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,392

    Starting to watch a lot of soccer (no homo)

    Was NEVER a big Soccer fan, I watched the 98 World Cup and the others after.. but never really had an interest in it. But I've been watching a lot recently since I discovered I had the Fox Soccer network.. always passed it by.

    It's really good, and these guys running for straight for two 45 min half's. Whats a team I should follow? MLS bored me to ****ing hell. I was thinking like English premiere league or some ****.. like Liverpool.. idk.

    I don't know why I just want to START watching it.. but it seems like a cool game to follow.
    Last edited by SBIII; 05-09-2009 at 12:45 PM.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Was NEVER a big Soccer fan, I watched the 99 World Cup and the others after.. but never really had an interest in it. But I've been watching a lot recently since I discovered I had the Fox Soccer network.. always passed it by.

    It's really good, and these guys running for straight for two 45 min half's. Whats a team I should follow? MLS bored me to ****ing hell. I was thinking like English premiere league or some ****.. like Liverpool.. idk.

    I don't know why I just want to START watching it.. but it seems like a cool game to follow.
    Start with Barcelona-Liverpool CL final in a couple of weeks.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Start with Barcelona-Liverpool CL final in a couple of weeks.
    Not quite. Its Barca v Man U in the CL final.

    Not that I support any of the big teams. I support our local team, Raith Rovers, who've won the 2nd division championship and the trophy gets presented today in our last game of the season. Gonna be a fantastic party atmosphere, can't wait for that

  4. #4
    Have you been having trouble sleeping?

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    224
    Did you ever see these guys wives and girlfriends,,,Check it out

    http://www.gunaxin.com/top-100-footb...lfriends/16979

  6. #6
    Way to broaden your horizons, III. Plus, there's now somebody in the soccer forum that knows even less about the sport than I do...maybe.

    As far as watching which league? Can't go wrong with EPL, but don't limit yourself. Bundesliga (Germany), La Liga (Spain), Serie A (Italy, but I think that league is changing) are probably leagues most available to watch in the US. GolTV, Setanta Sports, and FSC have plenty of quality action.

    As others have said, the Champions league final on May 27 is the one to set your tivo for-Manchester United vs Barcelona. Two of the most exciting teams and players to watch-Lionel Messi on Barcelona and Christiano Ronaldo on Man U. Set off a flare or 2 during the match to enhance the experience. I believe the game should be on ESPN.

    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/section...league&cc=5901

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by jetmart View Post
    Not quite. Its Barca v Man U in the CL final.

    Not that I support any of the big teams. I support our local team, Raith Rovers, who've won the 2nd division championship and the trophy gets presented today in our last game of the season. Gonna be a fantastic party atmosphere, can't wait for that

    That's right, mine was just wishful thinking I guess. Barça-Pool, that would've been a great final.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,837
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Was NEVER a big Soccer fan, I watched the 98 World Cup and the others after.. but never really had an interest in it. But I've been watching a lot recently since I discovered I had the Fox Soccer network.. always passed it by.

    It's really good, and these guys running for straight for two 45 min half's. Whats a team I should follow? MLS bored me to ****ing hell. I was thinking like English premiere league or some ****.. like Liverpool.. idk.

    I don't know why I just want to START watching it.. but it seems like a cool game to follow.
    Good for you III. Shows you're an open minded guy. Welcome to teh Ghey.

    As for who to root for, I'd say first check out which championship is most broadcasted near you. I'm guessing Premiership and Liga. Then, watch a few games of teams, and see which has the play, attitude, spirit you'd want to see. You may also want to look up some team histories (MU, Liverpool, Barca, Real Madrid..) all have glorious pasts and tragedies that have shaped them..

    Whatever you do, don't root for an Italian team. You'll have no friends in here.




    Quote Originally Posted by jetss1971 View Post
    Did you ever see these guys wives and girlfriends,,,Check it out

    http://www.gunaxin.com/top-100-footb...lfriends/16979

    Best post ever in the Soccer Forum.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Good for you III. Shows you're an open minded guy. Welcome to teh Ghey.

    As for who to root for, I'd say first check out which championship is most broadcasted near you. I'm guessing Premiership and Liga. Then, watch a few games of teams, and see which has the play, attitude, spirit you'd want to see. You may also want to look up some team histories (MU, Liverpool, Barca, Real Madrid..) all have glorious pasts and tragedies that have shaped them..

    Whatever you do, don't root for an Italian team. You'll have no friends in here.







    Best post ever in the Soccer Forum.

    There's only 1 team he should root for...



  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Columbia NJ
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    There's only 1 team he should root for...


    ah couldnt agree more...

    i actually went to the san siro once to watch ac milan play against empoli. they won one nothing on a pk, but the atmosphere was f***ing unreal. so much noise, etc. it was deafening.

    III, as for MLS, i actually do enjoy watching it. there is a good group of young talent in the league in which some get shipped overseas to play for larger clubs eventually (ex. tim howard, who played keeper for man u, now on everton, freddy adu who is playing for AS Monaco on loan from Benfica, and Jozy altidore, who is now playing for on loan to xerez in spain from villa real), and older retired players from larger clubs come to america to continue to play (ex. french national team player youri djorkaev came to the mls to play for the new york red bulls, and thierry henry has expressed interest to play in mls after he retires from playing in the bigger leagues).

    i just feel that the mls will continue to be a feeder league to other countries as soccer remains unpopular in the USA. i still enjoy following the New York Red Bulls, however... i think its a mix of my love for watching soccer and interest to see what young talent our national team could potentially be taking on...

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,837
    Quote Originally Posted by frickj2 View Post
    ah couldnt agree more...

    i actually went to the san siro once to watch ac milan play against empoli. they won one nothing on a pk, but the atmosphere was f***ing unreal. so much noise, etc. it was deafening.

    III, as for MLS, i actually do enjoy watching it. there is a good group of young talent in the league in which some get shipped overseas to play for larger clubs eventually (ex. tim howard, who played keeper for man u, now on everton, freddy adu who is playing for AS Monaco on loan from Benfica, and Jozy altidore, who is now playing for on loan to xerez in spain from villa real), and older retired players from larger clubs come to america to continue to play (ex. french national team player youri djorkaev came to the mls to play for the new york red bulls, and thierry henry has expressed interest to play in mls after he retires from playing in the bigger leagues).

    i just feel that the mls will continue to be a feeder league to other countries as soccer remains unpopular in the USA. i still enjoy following the New York Red Bulls, however... i think its a mix of my love for watching soccer and interest to see what young talent our national team could potentially be taking on...
    What is the deal with Freddy Adu? I remember reading stories about him when he was 14 as if he was the next Pélé. He's played 87 minutes this year for Monaco. I don't know if he's hurt or what, but the least we can say is he hasn't made a splash in a Championship that's far from being the toughest.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Columbia NJ
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    What is the deal with Freddy Adu? I remember reading stories about him when he was 14 as if he was the next Pélé. He's played 87 minutes this year for Monaco. I don't know if he's hurt or what, but the least we can say is he hasn't made a splash in a Championship that's far from being the toughest.
    there was a lot of hype for adu, you are right on that. to be honest, i havent been able to follow much besides checking up on the internet on statuses of players, and i know adu comes off the bench for Monaco. doesnt really do much though... i guess a lot of hype at 14 (such a young age) could have been too much for what he really is worth??? i dont know, i think he still will be a very valuable player to the USA national team.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    I read somewhere that he sucked at Benfica too.

    What I've seen about American players is that they can't play the part of the game which is played when the ref isn't watching. They get riled up too easily and can't really take care of themselves without referee intervention. They have pretty good keepers and some very fast quasi talented players but they just can't handle the european game.

    Of course in an ideal world they wouldn't need to but in the real world players like that rarely become big time players.

    Hagi was one of the greatest playmakers ever. Played for both Barça and Real then became the king at us. One of his greatest assets was that altough he was a very creative offensive player he was always able to defend himself from the butchers. If you slid in on Hagi he'd probably step on your shin, then you'd think twice to do it again.

    Players like adu, donovan their football is a little too sanitized for my taste.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I read somewhere that he sucked at Benfica too.

    What I've seen about American players is that they can't play the part of the game which is played when the ref isn't watching. They get riled up too easily and can't really take care of themselves without referee intervention. They have pretty good keepers and some very fast quasi talented players but they just can't handle the european game.

    Of course in an ideal world they wouldn't need to but in the real world players like that rarely become big time players.

    Hagi was one of the greatest playmakers ever. Played for both Barça and Real then became the king at us. One of his greatest assets was that altough he was a very creative offensive player he was always able to defend himself from the butchers. If you slid in on Hagi he'd probably step on your shin, then you'd think twice to do it again.

    Players like adu, donovan their football is a little too sanitized for my taste.
    Interesting take, and one I haven't heard before (maybe from being in the US, or maybe because I just haven't been paying close enough attention.) However, now that you mention it, I can't think of a US player that has any kind of 'bad boy' reputation.

    Donovan gets plenty of attention on the Galaxy in MLS, but never could cut it after several stints in Europe. Guess I never understood the fascination or the hype.

  15. #15
    Personally think the problem with Adu was there was just to much hype. Being compared to great players like Pele and ,aradona at such a young age the kid was always going to struggle to live up that.

    On the subject of American players (not including goalkeepers) they all seem to lightweight when it comes to playing in the English Premier League and Coca Cola Championship (don't know if it is the same in other countries leagues) I don't watch the MLS so don't know how physical it is, but players that came over here with a great reputaion (Clint Dempsey, Onyewu, Eddie Johnson, Bobby Convey ) all were shrugged off the ball to easy and took at least a year or more to really show what they can do.
    Last edited by Royals & Jets; 05-11-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling

  16. #16
    Michael Bradley is another American starting to really succeed in Europe at a young age. First with a dutch team, and now with an (admittedly poor) German top level team.

    Years ago, I started rooting for Tottenham, I think because my brother brought me back a shirt from England. I didn't get into soccer (except for the WCs) until 2002 or so. As it turned out, I had a lot of friends who rooted for Arsenal, which gave me more of a natural reason to continue rooting for Tottenham.

    As an added a bonus, my Father In Law, who is Russian, is into soccer. We don't really see eye-to-eye on much, but we do enjoy watching soccer together, as he has two daughters, and I'm the only person around his house who ever watches the sport.

    I too have a lot of trouble sitting through a MLS game. I want to support the local league, but it is painfully boring, I think the MLS in general is a tough sell as more and more coverage of top-line soccer is available. Though as a league, the MLS is more successful than I would expect at this stage.

    Last year, I took part in a all-time soccer draft on the site simply as a way to learn more about the history of soccer. If you want to learn more about the game, I recommend doing things like that, join a fantasy soccer league.

    Perhaps JI will put together a fantasy soccer league for the fall of 2009 (and World Cup Fantasy League next summer).

    Also, international soccer is incredibly fun to watch. I think US Soccer is my favorite "National" team, and after the Jets one of my favorite teams to watch.
    It's fun to support the US team and watch the players grow around the world. The next set of World Cup qualifying games are on June 3rd and June 6th. This is followed by a international tournament against some of the best teams in the world including Brazil and Italy.
    I don't expect the US to do very well. But as a fan you might decide rooting for a team with US players like Fulham, (Scottish) Rangers, or others.

    Here is the upcoming US schedule

    06/03/2009
    U.S. Men vs. Costa Rica

    06/06/2009
    U.S. Men vs. Honduras

    06/15/2009
    U.S. Men vs. Italy

    06/18/2009
    U.S. Men vs. Brazil

    06/21/2009
    U.S. Men vs. Egypt

    All these games should be on ESPN or one of their stations

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Columbia NJ
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Michael Bradley is another American starting to really succeed in Europe at a young age. First with a dutch team, and now with an (admittedly poor) German top level team.

    Years ago, I started rooting for Tottenham, I think because my brother brought me back a shirt from England. I didn't get into soccer (except for the WCs) until 2002 or so. As it turned out, I had a lot of friends who rooted for Arsenal, which gave me more of a natural reason to continue rooting for Tottenham.

    As an added a bonus, my Father In Law, who is Russian, is into soccer. We don't really see eye-to-eye on much, but we do enjoy watching soccer together, as he has two daughters, and I'm the only person around his house who ever watches the sport.

    I too have a lot of trouble sitting through a MLS game. I want to support the local league, but it is painfully boring, I think the MLS in general is a tough sell as more and more coverage of top-line soccer is available. Though as a league, the MLS is more successful than I would expect at this stage.

    Last year, I took part in a all-time soccer draft on the site simply as a way to learn more about the history of soccer. If you want to learn more about the game, I recommend doing things like that, join a fantasy soccer league.

    Perhaps JI will put together a fantasy soccer league for the fall of 2009 (and World Cup Fantasy League next summer).

    Also, international soccer is incredibly fun to watch. I think US Soccer is my favorite "National" team, and after the Jets one of my favorite teams to watch.
    It's fun to support the US team and watch the players grow around the world. The next set of World Cup qualifying games are on June 3rd and June 6th. This is followed by a international tournament against some of the best teams in the world including Brazil and Italy.
    I don't expect the US to do very well. But as a fan you might decide rooting for a team with US players like Fulham, (Scottish) Rangers, or others.

    Here is the upcoming US schedule

    06/03/2009
    U.S. Men vs. Costa Rica

    06/06/2009
    U.S. Men vs. Honduras

    06/15/2009
    U.S. Men vs. Italy

    06/18/2009
    U.S. Men vs. Brazil

    06/21/2009
    U.S. Men vs. Egypt

    All these games should be on ESPN or one of their stations
    i would be down for the fantasy league, and your exactly right. the only way to increase support for our national team is to get more coverage of them.

    Im not saying that the USA will be contenders for the cup, but they will be a tough team this upcoming world cup. I know the US is a big melting pot, so many people root for their home countries. I do the same, but USA is first. when they get knocked out, im all for germany and italy.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Columbia NJ
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I read somewhere that he sucked at Benfica too.

    What I've seen about American players is that they can't play the part of the game which is played when the ref isn't watching. They get riled up too easily and can't really take care of themselves without referee intervention. They have pretty good keepers and some very fast quasi talented players but they just can't handle the european game.

    Of course in an ideal world they wouldn't need to but in the real world players like that rarely become big time players.

    Hagi was one of the greatest playmakers ever. Played for both Barça and Real then became the king at us. One of his greatest assets was that altough he was a very creative offensive player he was always able to defend himself from the butchers. If you slid in on Hagi he'd probably step on your shin, then you'd think twice to do it again.

    Players like adu, donovan their football is a little too sanitized for my taste.
    i must agree.. players need to toughen up. especially players of smaller size like donovan... apparently he isnt tough off the field either. the athletic trainer at my school who takes care of my team was out in cali for a week working with the olympic womens team for soccer, and the LA galaxy were there too, and apparently donovan, according to what beckham told my trainer, is soft off the field as well as on, although he is very talented...

    as for american goalkeepers, I being one myself....

    i have traveled and played overseas a few times. I played in the Umbro cup in England, the Gothia cup in Sweden, played a local tourny in Denmark, also traveled and played in the Lake Como cup in Italy. I also played FC Koln's under 18 squad a couple years ago, and played local teams in holland and belgium. Right now im playing in australia while im here studying abroad until mid june.
    but what i realized is, more in my younger years, that there was never a set goalkeeper. as i got older, more teams had set goalkeepers, but even so i found it hard to find a very talented keeper on the other side. im not saying i am a standout or anything, but in america i feel that goalkeepers start specializing in that position a lot earlier...

    in NO way am i saying that all other countries suck when it comes to goalkeeping. that obviously is not the case (schmeichel, kahn, buffon, czech, van der sar, etc.).... im just saying that the USA is most known for their keepers.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by frickj2 View Post
    im just saying that the USA is most known for their keepers.
    I agree. You guys have produced some very good goalies. IMO Friedel is the best of the bunch but I'm a little biased; he played for Galatasaray in 96. But besides him Tony Meola was a pretty good keeper, Keller was right up there with Friedel, I've never been a fan of Howard though I gotta admit being no. 1 at the manure is an accomplishment.

    I sincerely believe you guys will be a consistent top ten nation in football in a few years. The only thing missing is experience in pressure environment. It's not just the level of competition of MLS, they have no real rivalries, no real away games. You can't know how you'll respond to having to play in a hostile atmosphere until you've played in one.

    IMO you have no real hostile environments in the states, in any sport, but esspecially in soccer.

  20. #20
    Mexico is a big rival of the US in soccer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us