Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting to watch a lot of soccer (no homo)

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I agree. You guys have produced some very good goalies. IMO Friedel is the best of the bunch but I'm a little biased; he played for Galatasaray in 96. But besides him Tony Meola was a pretty good keeper, Keller was right up there with Friedel, I've never been a fan of Howard though I gotta admit being no. 1 at the manure is an accomplishment.

I sincerely believe you guys will be a consistent top ten nation in football in a few years. The only thing missing is experience in pressure environment. It's not just the level of competition of MLS, they have no real rivalries, no real away games. You can't know how you'll respond to having to play in a hostile atmosphere until you've played in one.

IMO you have no real hostile environments in the states, in any sport, but esspecially in soccer.
    Go to an Eagles game wearing a Cowboys jersey and come back and tell me that. IF ............ you come back.

A discussion of 'soccer' in the USA and no mention of Brian Urlacher? For shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    A discussion of 'soccer' in the USA and no mention of Brian Urlacher? For shame.
    LOL, who was that ass who made that comparison? I forgot now

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    LOL, who was that ass who made that comparison? I forgot now
    Long since banned.

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Go to an Eagles game wearing a Cowboys jersey and come back and tell me that. IF ............ you come back.
    Cowboys jersey would do it....

The freak show in Oakland has some whack jobs too. Don't wear visiting team gear there....average IQ of Raider fan<60 and word has it fans must have 2 felony minimum before they're allowed in the coliseum.

Jets Insider VIP
    Try being French on an Football site full of Americans.

Veteran
    I've been to 1 Yankees-Red Sox game, albeit it was 15 years ago and teh Yankees were teh suck but still it was somewhat hostile.

But what I meant by hostile is not having to endure some heckling or even some pushing and shoving before security steps in...

When as a Galatasaray fan I go to an away game at Fenerbahce I have to be "protected" by cops in riot gear and almost every time there is tear gas involved. It's been relatively clean the past 2 years but before that in avery famous match I think it was 2002, the sewerbirds management locked the doors of the away end to the stadium for security reasons, had us outside the visitors end in the rain, up to our knees in sewage because mysteriously a pipe at our end started overflowing just when we got a little crowded. Then when we were finally allowed in to the stadium we saw that the stands had real manure on the seats and floors. You can't imagine the stench. Then their fans started throwing pieces of ceramic tiles that they broke from the bathrooms. When we started throwing them back the police intervened with the tear gas.
    We later learned that the same match 2 of our players were assaulted by 2 unidenitifed people in the tunnels leading to the dressing room. After that our players have always gone to their stadium with private security.

I admit this was an extreme example even by Turkish standarts but it happens. Every once in while there is an atmosphere so hostile it just blows up. This year at our stadium there were 4 red cards, all for fighting, an idiot rushed the pitch etc. etc. You can really see this kind of thing all over Europe; in Italy they threw a burned vespa (small motorcycle) on the pitch to protest their own team, Chelsea's Head Hunters (the name of their hardcore fans) have a funy story from a while back when Chelsea were teh suck:

A team called Wolverhampton bear Chelsea at Chelsea and the fans took exception to some of the Wolves fans chants. Next week they went to a wolves home game dressed as wolves fans and then proceeded to beat the **** out of the wolves fans in the stands. Next week they tried again but the cops got wise and started asking names of obscure wolves players to the fans, those that didn't know couldn't get in. Then they study names of the wolves players for a week, get in to the stands again the week after and proceed to do their business.

Of course don't know the sporting events over there as well as you but I doubt you guys have anything that comes close to anything like this. I'm not saying what we do is right and what you do is wrong or bad. It's just very different.

Clubs in Europe are not business' that aim for profit. They are a part of ones identity, our ex-president got hammered because he used the term customer when referring to people who buy the clubs merchandise. The fans still hate him for it.

And to add to that as far as I know Soccer is still somewhat a sport for the privilged suburbians, and not the poor inner city kids, in the States. That I believe is also a factor. You put a 20 year old kid from California in the above described environment he's gona pack up his bags and take the first flight home.
    Last edited by The Turk; 05-13-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    When we started throwing them back the police intervened with the tear gas.
    The proverbial 'we' or 'we' as in 'I'm a lawyer by day, a tile chucking fanatic by night'.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    The proverbial 'we' or 'we' as in 'I'm a lawyer by day, a tile chucking fanatic by night'.

I can honestly say that I've never actually thrown a piece of tile at a person.

That's as much as I'm willing to elaborate on that subject.

Jets Insider VIP
    I can honestly say that I've never actually thrown a piece of tile at a person.

That's as much as I'm willing to elaborate on that subject.

LOL! Yeah Turk, but you guys, along with the Greeks and Russians are just a little more wacko than other countries! Don't get me wrong some insane sh!t goes on all over the place, but still...

I remember a World Cup qualifier between Greece and Denmark in Athens. The Greek fans chucked potatoes with inserted razorblades at the Danish fans.

Also, when Gala played Arsenal in Copenhagen, I believe it was the UEFA Cup final back in 2000. A huge fight broke out between the fans. I was working near by and had no idea, so there I was, on my bike and on my way home from work, when I suddenly found myself in a "war zone" + in the middle of a tear gas cloud... Couldn't see a thing and was crying the rest of the way home, looking like Teh Ghey to all the people who didn't know any better...

Veteran
    I agree. You guys have produced some very good goalies. IMO Friedel is the best of the bunch but I'm a little biased; he played for Galatasaray in 96. But besides him Tony Meola was a pretty good keeper, Keller was right up there with Friedel, I've never been a fan of Howard though I gotta admit being no. 1 at the manure is an accomplishment.

I sincerely believe you guys will be a consistent top ten nation in football in a few years. The only thing missing is experience in pressure environment. It's not just the level of competition of MLS, they have no real rivalries, no real away games. You can't know how you'll respond to having to play in a hostile atmosphere until you've played in one.

IMO you have no real hostile environments in the states, in any sport, but esspecially in soccer.
    you pretty muched nailed it... i have a few friends who i have gotten to follow soccer, and are excited about the USA's chances in the world cup because of their youth... where i do agree they will be a top 10 nation in time, i know that for as much young talent we have in the states, there are plenty of other countries who have just as much, if not more, young talent than us.. and i firmly believe it has to do with what you said about the hostile environments in soccer. these kids who are superstars here get put in european/south american soccer where so much is expected of them b/c of their huge reputation in the states... and the truth is, although they are indeed VERY talented players, they have never experienced the big environments of soccer overseas. and until that happens, the USA will not become more than a top 10 team in the world...

Veteran
    you just dont understand...

a few years back, i traveled with a club to play some soccer in italy.. part of our package was a trip to the san siro in milan to watch AC Milan play Empoli... there was a guy, that i could see from across the stadium waving a scottish flag (because the flag was that big)... after the game, i went under the stadium to the san siro store to purchase me a jersey... and i saw the guy with the scottish flag, absolutely mangled and bruised, gashes above his eyes. when i asked him why, he said because he was waving a scotland flag. now scotland and italy, as far as i know, have no rivalry WHAT SO EVER..... it was just the fact that someone was there with another flag. that would be like a jets fan going to a vikings game in a jets jersey and getting the s**t beat out of him..

i know we take our NFL seriously over here, but its just a whole 'nother level over there when it comes to soccer....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by frickj2 View Post
    you just dont understand...

a few years back, i traveled with a club to play some soccer in italy.. part of our package was a trip to the san siro in milan to watch AC Milan play Empoli... there was a guy, that i could see from across the stadium waving a scottish flag (because the flag was that big)... after the game, i went under the stadium to the san siro store to purchase me a jersey... and i saw the guy with the scottish flag, absolutely mangled and bruised, gashes above his eyes. when i asked him why, he said because he was waving a scotland flag. now scotland and italy, as far as i know, have no rivalry WHAT SO EVER..... it was just the fact that someone was there with another flag. that would be like a jets fan going to a vikings game in a jets jersey and getting the s**t beat out of him..

i know we take our NFL seriously over here, but its just a whole 'nother level over there when it comes to soccer....
    Some dudes in Turkey get their asses kicked for having different bathroom tiles !!

Veteran
    Some dudes in Turkey get their asses kicked for having different bathroom tiles !!

LOL

sounds like a queer interior designer battle on american television... so i'll leave that for "the turk" to discuss... just to check, are the off-white tiles my rents recently installed in the bathroom worthy of getting my ass kicked over there???

Quote Originally Posted by Copenhagen View Post
    LOL! Yeah Turk, but you guys, along with the Greeks and Russians are just a little more wacko than other countries! Don't get me wrong some insane sh!t goes on all over the place, but still...

I remember a World Cup qualifier between Greece and Denmark in Athens. The Greek fans chucked potatoes with inserted razorblades at the Danish fans.

Also, when Gala played Arsenal in Copenhagen, I believe it was the UEFA Cup final back in 2000. A huge fight broke out between the fans. I was working near by and had no idea, so there I was, on my bike and on my way home from work, when I suddenly found myself in a "war zone" + in the middle of a tear gas cloud... Couldn't see a thing and was crying the rest of the way home, looking like Teh Ghey to all the people who didn't know any better...

That is insane.

Jets Insider VIP
    That is insane.
    Another thing is filing coins and whizing them into the stands.

Another thing is filing coins and whizing them into the stands.
    I would never even think of these things to do, let alone actually doing them

I was at a Mets game once when some Mets fans threw D-cell batteries at Braves pitcher John Rocker. That was the craziest thing I ever saw at a sporting event. He had it coming though.

Jets Insider VIP
    I would never even think of these things to do, let alone actually doing them

I was at a Mets game once when some Mets fans threw D-cell batteries at Braves pitcher John Rocker. That was the craziest thing I ever saw at a sporting event. He had it coming though.

haha, he did. If you don't remember what happened with Rocker, being from Europea and all, here's a breakdown of the controversy from wikipedia:

For a story published in the January 2000 issue of Sports Illustrated, Rocker made a number of allegations stemming from his experiences in New York City and answering a question about whether he would ever play for the New York Yankees or the New York Mets. Rocker's response was considered racist, homophobic, and sexist:

I'd retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing... The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country? [2]

During the interview, he also made his true feelings about the New York Mets and their fans known:

"Nowhere else in the country do people spit at you, throw bottles at you, throw quarters at you, throw batteries at you and say, 'Hey, I did your mother last night she's a whore.' I talked about what degenerates they were and they proved me right.