Thread: LeBron surpasses Kobe as the top player: Jerry West

Schluberator & Gadfly

LeBron surpasses Kobe as the top player: Jerry West

Yahoo sports:

Print By Steve Ginsburg Steve Ginsburg Mon May 18, 4:07 pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) LeBron James is the best player in the NBA, surpassing veteran Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, 14-times All-Star guard Jerry West said Monday.

West, a shrewd judge of talent who brought Bryant to the Lakers when he was their general manager, said the Cleveland forward could become the league's next Michael Jordan.

"I look at Cleveland say to myself, 'How many games could they win without LeBron James?' West told Reuters in an interview. "That's how great he is.

"He has a chance to be arguably the greatest player ever to play the game."

West, the NBA's executive of the year with the Lakers in 1995 and the Memphis Grizzlies in 2004, said playing both ends of the floor was what made Jordan so great.

"Michael Jordan was the best defensive player in the league but he was also the best offensive player," said West. "It wasn't a one-year fluke, he proved it over time.

"LeBron James will do the same type of things because he's getting better. He's a much more effective shooter. When's he's making his shots from the outside, you can't play him.

"He's just too big, too strong, too quick. And he has incredible body control. But more than that, he's a great team mate. You can see his team mates love him."

James averaged 28.4 points this season and was named the NBA's most valuable player. But Bryant, a three-times NBA champion and 2008 MVP, still remains a force, said West.

"If I had to have somebody make a last-second shot, it would be Kobe Bryant," said West, architect of the great Lakers teams from Magic Johnson years in the 1980s through the Shaquille O'Neal clubs of the early 2000s.

"But even though it's hard for me to be objective, because I brought Kobe to Los Angeles, I do think LeBron has surpassed Kobe as a player."

West, 70, was in Washington attending a conference for atrial fibrillation, a condition he has that can cause a racing heart, sleeplessness, anxiety and depression.

The condition, diagnosed at age 42, forced him to leave the front office of the Lakers and then the Grizzlies in 2007.

West, a member of the Lakers' 1972 title team, said he does not think about how he would fare in today's NBA but added, "I would be competitive, trust me."

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Yahoo sports:

Print By Steve Ginsburg Steve Ginsburg Mon May 18, 4:07 pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) LeBron James is the best player in the NBA, surpassing veteran Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, 14-times All-Star guard Jerry West said Monday.

West, a shrewd judge of talent who brought Bryant to the Lakers when he was their general manager, said the Cleveland forward could become the league's next Michael Jordan.

"I look at Cleveland say to myself, 'How many games could they win without LeBron James?' West told Reuters in an interview. "That's how great he is.

"He has a chance to be arguably the greatest player ever to play the game."

West, the NBA's executive of the year with the Lakers in 1995 and the Memphis Grizzlies in 2004, said playing both ends of the floor was what made Jordan so great.

"Michael Jordan was the best defensive player in the league but he was also the best offensive player," said West. "It wasn't a one-year fluke, he proved it over time.

"LeBron James will do the same type of things because he's getting better. He's a much more effective shooter. When's he's making his shots from the outside, you can't play him.

"He's just too big, too strong, too quick. And he has incredible body control. But more than that, he's a great team mate. You can see his team mates love him."

James averaged 28.4 points this season and was named the NBA's most valuable player. But Bryant, a three-times NBA champion and 2008 MVP, still remains a force, said West.

"If I had to have somebody make a last-second shot, it would be Kobe Bryant," said West, architect of the great Lakers teams from Magic Johnson years in the 1980s through the Shaquille O'Neal clubs of the early 2000s.

"But even though it's hard for me to be objective, because I brought Kobe to Los Angeles, I do think LeBron has surpassed Kobe as a player."

West, 70, was in Washington attending a conference for atrial fibrillation, a condition he has that can cause a racing heart, sleeplessness, anxiety and depression.

The condition, diagnosed at age 42, forced him to leave the front office of the Lakers and then the Grizzlies in 2007.

West, a member of the Lakers' 1972 title team, said he does not think about how he would fare in today's NBA but added, "I would be competitive, trust me."
    couldnt agree more, especially with the two quotes i put in bold...

the cavaliers have some talent besides having lebron... but with out him they are questionable to even be a playoff caliber team, let alone the best team in the east...

as for his body, the impact of his physique for a basketball player can be compared to michael phelp's physique for swimming... lebron is just top fitness in all categories, and being as big as he is it is hard to even touch him.

he has surpassed kobe, and on his way to passing jordan.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by frickj2 View Post
    couldnt agree more, especially with the two quotes i put in bold...

the cavaliers have some talent besides having lebron... but with out him they are questionable to even be a playoff caliber team, let alone the best team in the east...

as for his body, the impact of his physique for a basketball player can be compared to michael phelp's physique for swimming... lebron is just top fitness in all categories, and being as big as he is it is hard to even touch him.

he has surpassed kobe, and on his way to passing jordan.
    I don't have a problem with it. Lebron seems to be a good egg and Kobe, well Kobe is just a moronic thug who gets away with a lot of sh*t on and off the court because of who he is.

Don't tell Ham this.

Frankly its not even close.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Frankly its not even close.
    lebron gaymes is a closet gay dude who is has brokeback moutain time every night wit david stern

lebron has better teammates then kobe cuz kobe plays wit a bunch of soft *****s like pau gasol

pau gasol is softer then a gay dude when he sees a naked chick

and **** jerrywest

hes a disgrace to tha lakers and tha hood and tha nba

no one respects him he should go have a threesome wit david doanghy stern and lebron

kobe>anyone who ever will play basketball just accept it

Quote Originally Posted by kobe24jets View Post
    lebron gaymes is a closet gay dude who is has brokeback moutain time every night wit david stern

lebron has better teammates then kobe cuz kobe plays wit a bunch of soft *****s like pau gasol

pau gasol is softer then a gay dude when he sees a naked chick

and **** jerrywest

hes a disgrace to tha lakers and tha hood and tha nba

no one respects him he should go have a threesome wit david doanghy stern and lebron

kobe>anyone who ever will play basketball just accept it
    -realtalk-

Love the Gasol jab.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    -realtalk-

Love the Gasol jab.
    lebron has team mates that show up every day

ya dig

kobe only has trev

thats

-realtalk-

Jets Insider VIP
    Motivation ploy.

Quote Originally Posted by kobe24jets View Post
    lebron has team mates that show up every day

ya dig

kobe only has trev

thats

-realtalk-
    LOL, Trevor Ariza.

-realtalk-

All Pro
    Nobody's approaching Michael Jordan for another 5 years of this kind of play.

MJ was simply perfect. He never missed a big shot and had a will to win that is utterly singular.

I really don't see how anyone can ever be better than a perfect player. After 6 rings an argument might be had. Don't forget that had MJ's dad not been murdered he would've won some more without the baseball foray.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Nobody's approaching Michael Jordan for another 5 years of this kind of play.

MJ was simply perfect. He never missed a big shot and had a will to win that is utterly singular.

I really don't see how anyone can ever be better than a perfect player. After 6 rings an argument might be had. Don't forget that had MJ's dad not been murdered he would've won some more without the baseball foray.
    mj wasnt even tha best player on his team lol

scottie>jordan just accept it

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I don't have a problem with it. Lebron seems to be a good egg and Kobe, well Kobe is just a moronic thug who gets away with a lot of sh*t on and off the court because of who he is.
    By no means am I a Kobe fan, but how can he be considered a thug?

And yes, Lebron is the best in the game right now, and it's not really all that close. Kobe's the better shooter, but LeBron's the better scorer, albeit slightly. Kobe might get a slight nod defensively, but it's close. And in pretty much every other category LeBron wipes the floor with Kobe.

As far as MJ goes, James still has a long way to go. He has to keep up the same level of play for 7 more seasons, which is no easy task when you play 40+ minutes per game and take the pounding that this guy does. Jordan will always have the edge defensively, IMO. Also, James will never be the same scorer that Jordan was, and I don't think anyone ever will be. The key for LeBron will be his jump shot. In his early days, Jordan would kill you by taking you to the bucket. When he started to wear down a bit physically, he added a ridiculous fadeaway jumper to his repertoire, improved his 3 point shooting, and that was it. If LeBron manages to do the same, there's no telling where he'll rank when all is said and done. I don't know if he'll surpass Jordan, but he's at least got a shot to make it a topic of conversation, which is something I NEVER thought I'd say, as MJ is my favorite athlete of all time.

EDIT: I forgot to add, there's also the matter of MJ's 6 championship rings and 6 Finals MVPs, which I highly doubt LeBron reaches. To be in the conversation with MJ, along with everything else he has to achieve, LBJ will have to win multiple titles. Probably 3 or 4 at the least.
    Last edited by jvill 51; 05-20-2009 at 12:46 AM.