Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on 2007 1st Overall Pick Jamarcus Russell

All League
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3137972]The same people who I hear on this board say Russell sucks alot of them are the same people who were pumping up Rat/Clemens/Ainge until Rexgini gave those three the ultimate vote of confidence by trading our entire draft for a junior qb with 16 starts.

Yeah Russell is fat and likes to party but I'd take him over Rat/Clemens/Ainge and probably Sanchez too.[/QUOTE]

And what does any of this have to do with anything?

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3137972]The same people who I hear on this board say Russell sucks alot of them are the same people who were pumping up Rat/Clemens/Ainge until Rexgini gave those three the ultimate vote of confidence by trading our entire draft for a junior qb with 16 starts.

Yeah Russell is fat and likes to party but I'd take him over Rat/Clemens/Ainge and probably Sanchez too.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't.

[QUOTE=pauliec;3137990]I wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

+1

Uhhhh the Jets didn't give up the entire draft...

I'd think that the people who think Russell sucks would think that Clemens sucks.

Anyway, the seasons like 4 months away and he's a early 20's millionaire...he went into last year supposedly out of shape too and he didn't look fat when we played them. He'll have to learn, and hopefully he does.

[QUOTE=Jason423;3137775]Serious question, how concerned are the Raider fans about his weight? I know its the offseason, but he looks awful in those photos. I remember how Jeremy Shockey used to go out around here all the time, but he never let himself get like Russell looks, though I think some of that partying probably led to all his injuries.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for every Raider fan but as long in in the 265 pound range, I am fine with his weight. Last year there was bogus talk Jamarcus Russell weight had balloon to over 300. That wasn't even close to the truth. He was around 268 pounds at start of training camp.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3137559]I didn't post these because he's hanging with his "homies" - look at his frickin' enormous belly! Dude looks like Fat Albert. If you didn't already know, you'd never guess that he's a professional athlete, one that's supposed to be able to scramble and elude linebackers that run 4.6 40's.[/QUOTE]
    Jamarcus Russell isn't M Vick , Vince Young or Randal Cunniham. He might scramble but where those other Qbs look to run the ball,Russell looks to buy time to pass the football.
    Russell was 17 for 127 7.5 average per carry So that shows for a big man he can move pertry good,.

[QUOTE=Raider9175;3138269]Jamarcus Russell isn't M Vick , Vince Young or Randal Cunniham. He might scramble but where those other Qbs look to run the ball,Russell looks to buy time to pass the football.
    Russell was 17 for 127 7.5 average per carry So that shows for a big man he can move pertry good,.[/QUOTE]

What kind of black QB is he then?

[QUOTE=Raider9175;3138269]Jamarcus Russell isn't M Vick , Vince Young or Randal Cunniham. He might scramble but where those other Qbs look to run the ball,Russell looks to buy time to pass the football.
    Russell was 17 for 127 7.5 average per carry So that shows for a big man he can move pertry good,.[/QUOTE]

Your franchise QB shouldn't look like a fat pig, partying it up uncontrollably, PERIOD.

Stop defending him, he's a mess, and if he keeps his current pace, he'll be out of the league in a couple of years.

Should football players be choir boys? No, but the #1 overall pick and leader of the team at the most important position shouldn't act like a jackass clown and have no regard to his body or himself.

[QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3138289]What kind of black QB is he then?[/QUOTE]

The point was while those Qb were more apt to run when things broke down, Russell looking to buy enough time to make a play with his arm. Alot of people critized Russell for not running more when he had the oppurtunity. (easily could have picked up alot of yards) but thats not Jamarcus Russell mindset. He did run more in the second half , don't know if that was by design or him starting to understand that you have open space it better to take the easy yards the defense is giving you(get the first down) than try to make the big play with his arm.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3138290]Your franchise QB shouldn't look like a fat pig, partying it up uncontrollably, PERIOD.

Stop defending him, he's a mess, and if he keeps his current pace, he'll be out of the league in a couple of years.

Should football players be choir boys? No, but the #1 overall pick and leader of the team at the most important position shouldn't act like a jackass clown and have no regard to his body or himself.[/QUOTE]

Listen when your 6'6 265 your just a very big man. There aren't any blueprints of how a Qb should look. This all being blown way out of proportion, in a slow football news period.

NOw Mark Sanchez gets a free pass GQ and His kerry Rhodes imitation(more concern with working on his second career) Hmmm I wonder what the diffrence is.

Both Russell and Sanchez will eventually be judged what they do on the football field and not whose body more finely toned. See Brady Quinn.

[QUOTE=Raider9175;3138340]Listen when your 6'6 265 your just a very big man. There aren't any blueprints of how a Qb should look. This all being blown way out of proportion, in a slow football news period.

NOw Mark Sanchez gets a free pass GQ and His kerry Rhodes imitation(more concern with working on his second career) Hmmm I wonder what the diffrence is.

Both Russell and Sanchez will eventually be judged what they do on the football field and not whose body more finely toned. See Brady Quinn.[/QUOTE]

The difference between Sanchez and Russel is that Sanchez has potential, Russell failed to live up to his :yes:

The same people who are saying give Gholston a chance are saying Russell is already a bust. I don't think Russell will be a superstar, mainly because of the team that he's on (let's face it, the Raiders are the biggest mess in the NFL), and it'll take a decade to fix the team, but the kid isn't a lost cause. He held out, so what, so did Revis, and didn't play all that poorly (albeit not like a superstar either). Give him a year or two, and he may be a quality starter if they give him a line, WRs, and a coach that's not Tom Cable.

If I had to rank Russell, he'd be in the 20's in the NFL right now. He's better than a few guys, but has limitations because of the team that he's on, lack of discipline, and no guidance whatsoever.

[QUOTE=John_0515;3138365][B] I don't think Russell will be a superstar, mainly because of the team that he's on (let's face it, the Raiders are the biggest mess in the NFL)[/B], [/QUOTE]

R u kidding? They have the best (and young!) roster in the NFL, just ask Raider9175 who knows about his team way more then we are all combined.

from dan pompei's "could break out" column

[quote]

Despite playing on a bad team, JaMarcus Russell came on strong down the stretch, guiding the Raiders to three wins (two against teams fighting for the playoffs) and compiling an 85.4 passer rating in his last six games. That was particularly impressive when you consider he was working with his third play-caller in two years. If the transition to new passing-game coordinator Ted Tollner goes smoothly, Russell should start to fulfill expectations this year.
    [/quote]

personally russell didn't look like a bust when he was tearing last year's defense a new one all day long in oakland.

i dunno about that necklace tho it's like weaing a bobble head around your neck

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;3137464]We all were young once and no big deal partying a little bit. As long as you know how to seperate work from play, everything will be okay. Just make sure you put the work in on the football field. thats what your eventually going to be judged on. Don't drink and drive.

BTw Lucky it wasn't pictures of our backup Qb partying.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][B]News flash!!!! News flash!!!![/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="7"][B]Jamarcus Russell SSSSUUUUUCCCCKKKKSSSS!!!!!!![/B][/SIZE]
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-24-2009 at 03:41 PM.

I'm going to say this because I think it has to be said...if Russell were white everyone would be on him. I mean the fact that he wears that ugly ass chain doesn't help, but I see way too many of the old black QB stereotypes thrown around when the guy is talked about.

Whatever, I'm sure he'll live through it. I just wish him well.

The only thing that would worry me if I'm a Raider fan is the size of his gut in one of those pictures. :eek:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3138443]I'm going to say this because I think it has to be said...if Russell were white everyone would be on him. I mean the fact that he wears that ugly ass chain doesn't help, but I see way too many of the old black QB stereotypes thrown around when the guy is talked about.

Whatever, I'm sure he'll live through it. I just wish him well.[/QUOTE]

Gotta disagree. The stereotypes are brought up with him because he epitomizes them. Nobody talks about Donovan McNabb being stupid or lazy.

I can't think of many starting QBs in the NFL I'd less rather have than this bust... He sucks.

All League
    JR has a cannon arm and a ten cent head. Daunte Culpepper Part II