Thread: James thrives with game on line

Veteran

James thrives with game on line

Monday, May 25, 2009

Whenever LeBron James makes a pass near the end of a game rather than a shot, it brings up the charge that he doesn't want to take on the pressure of winning the game. That talk was silenced with his last-sec ond shot to beat Orlando, 96-95, in Game 2 at The Q. But what do the numbers say? Does the Cavs star shy away from pressure?

Some great work by Roland Beech of 82games.com defined a "game-winning shot opportunity" as happening in the final 24 seconds when the score was tied, or neither team led by more than two points. He examined the regular seasons from 2003-04 through February 2009, along with the playoffs from 2003-08. Starting with James' rookie season, he discovered that only Kobe Bryant (56) and Vince Carter (51) attempted more shots than James (50) in his definition of close games.

The league average shooting percentage in those tight spots was .298. James was at (17-of-50) .340, Carter (16-of-51) .314 and Bryant a surprisingly low (14-of-56) .250. I love Chauncey Billups and the Denver guard won some big games with Detroit earning the nickname "Mr. Big Shot." But Beech discovered Mr. Big Shot was 6-of-37 (.162).

How hard is it to score in these situa tions? Of players who attempted at least 25 shots, only Carmelo Anthony (13-of-27, .481) shot above 40 percent. Beech wrote: "James was only 4-of-19 in our previous look at game-winning shots (through 2006), so in the ensuing seasons, he has come up to a very respectable 13-of-31 (.419).

What about passing in these clutch situ ations? Paul Pierce has nine assists, followed by Mike Bibby, James and Billups with six. Yes, Bryant will take the shot - he has only one assist in the clutch.

Another indication that James will take a big shot is that he's attempted more free throws than anyone else in the clutch. James is 14-of-20 (70 percent) from the foul line in the final 24 seconds of games where the margin is two points or less. Bryant is very good at 12-of-15 (80 percent), and Billups is money at 18-of-19 from the line.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/plain...oll=2#continue

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
    Monday, May 25, 2009

Whenever LeBron James makes a pass near the end of a game rather than a shot, it brings up the charge that he doesn't want to take on the pressure of winning the game. That talk was silenced with his last-sec ond shot to beat Orlando, 96-95, in Game 2 at The Q. But what do the numbers say? Does the Cavs star shy away from pressure?

Some great work by Roland Beech of 82games.com defined a "game-winning shot opportunity" as happening in the final 24 seconds when the score was tied, or neither team led by more than two points. He examined the regular seasons from 2003-04 through February 2009, along with the playoffs from 2003-08. Starting with James' rookie season, he discovered that only Kobe Bryant (56) and Vince Carter (51) attempted more shots than James (50) in his definition of close games.

The league average shooting percentage in those tight spots was .298. James was at (17-of-50) .340, Carter (16-of-51) .314 and Bryant a surprisingly low (14-of-56) .250. I love Chauncey Billups and the Denver guard won some big games with Detroit earning the nickname "Mr. Big Shot." But Beech discovered Mr. Big Shot was 6-of-37 (.162).

How hard is it to score in these situa tions? Of players who attempted at least 25 shots, only Carmelo Anthony (13-of-27, .481) shot above 40 percent. Beech wrote: "James was only 4-of-19 in our previous look at game-winning shots (through 2006), so in the ensuing seasons, he has come up to a very respectable 13-of-31 (.419).

What about passing in these clutch situ ations? Paul Pierce has nine assists, followed by Mike Bibby, James and Billups with six. Yes, Bryant will take the shot - he has only one assist in the clutch.

Another indication that James will take a big shot is that he's attempted more free throws than anyone else in the clutch. James is 14-of-20 (70 percent) from the foul line in the final 24 seconds of games where the margin is two points or less. Bryant is very good at 12-of-15 (80 percent), and Billups is money at 18-of-19 from the line.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/plain...oll=2#continue
    LeBron > Kobe

JetsInsider.com Legend
    LOL

No he doesn't. He hits one, uncontested buzzer beater and now that erases his reputation as a player who comes up short with the game on the line?

LeBron is a great, young player. But people need to stop sucking this kid off every chance they get.

Kobe > LeBron at the moment.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

No he doesn't. He hits one, uncontested buzzer beater and now that erases his reputation as a player who comes up short with the game on the line?

LeBron is a great, young player. But people need to stop sucking this kid off every chance they get.

Kobe > LeBron at the moment.
    The stats don't lie.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
    The stats don't lie.
    Don't mind UT. He has his Kobe pom poms out HARD.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Don't mind UT. He has his Kobe pom poms out HARD.
    I call 'em as I see 'em.

LeBron missed four freethrows in the last four minutes of last nights loss to Orlando.

Clutch player?

Please.

All League
    I call 'em as I see 'em.

LeBron missed four freethrows in the last four minutes of last nights loss to Orlando.

Clutch player?

Please.
    Yes you're right, LeBron isn't a clutch player. Okie dokie And you get that because he isn't a good FT shooter? What about all the positive with made baskets he makes in big spots?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Yes you're right, LeBron isn't a clutch player. Okie dokie And you get that because he isn't a good FT shooter? What about all the positive with made baskets he makes in big spots?
    Compared to Kobe? No, he isn't.

Bryant has made clutch shots and buzzer beaters for years now. LeBron makes one, uncontested three and I'm so supposed to put him in Kobe and Jordan's class as a closer?

I'm not buying it for a second.

All League

Bryant has made clutch shots and buzzer beaters for years now. LeBron makes one, uncontested three and I'm so supposed to put him in Kobe and Jordan's class as a closer?

First of all, who has said LeBron is in Jordan's level as a closer? Or is that one of those things you make up and tell yourself enough to believe it is being said? Take the blinders off.

Second of all, calling that an uncontested 3 makes you look dumb, and like a hater. Not saying it was contested heavily or it was great defense, but if that is uncontested so are these litany of Game winning 3s Kobe allegedly has made.

Thirdly, who has said he is on Kobe's level as a closer? (Though I think Kobe is overrated in this department as well).

LeBron flat out is a better basketball player, who does more things well (aka pass is actually in his vocabulary) than Kobe who's shooting and big performances in big moments is vastly overrated.

Better shooter? No
    Better in big moments? No
    Better free throw shooter? No

But I would be plenty fine with having the ball in LeBron's hands with the game on the line.

Veteran

Lol, did you even read the article I posted? Kobe has only shot .250 on those shots over the last 5-6 years. No way is he in Jordan's class. It's "Jordan's class" period, there is no "Kobe and Jordan".