Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Jameer Nelson may play in the finals...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jameer Nelson may play in the finals...

not sure what to expect but the little guy says he might play...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was huge in the wins over LA in the regular season, but is it really a good idea to disrupt the way the team's playing now with a players who may or may not be 100% ready?

I doubt it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtracey10 View Post
    He was huge in the wins over LA in the regular season, but is it really a good idea to disrupt the way the team's playing now with a players who may or may not be 100% ready?

I doubt it.
    he has been the captain of this team for the past few years....he deserves to play if he can.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    he has been the captain of this team for the past few years....he deserves to play if he can.
    Deserves to play, no doubt about, it's a shame if he misses this game.

The important thing is, does it help the team?

He may not be as great as he was pre-injury. It can be tough to come straight into a team playing so well and play at 100%.

I think it'd be a bad move in all honesty.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtracey10 View Post
    Deserves to play, no doubt about, it's a shame if he misses this game.

The important thing is, does it help the team?

He may not be as great as he was pre-injury. It can be tough to come straight into a team playing so well and play at 100%.

I think it'd be a bad move in all honesty.
    listen no one is saying roll him out into a tight game in the 4th quarter right? put him in off the bench for a few minutes....see how things go...go from there. you cant tell me he can come into the 1st or 2nd quarter for 5-6 minutes and lose the game for the magic. he is such a warrior, and such a team leader i would just love to see him out there. not many people hear about things he did for the team and the closeness....took them all to the finals last year...got them all together in philly on his own tab during the offseason for bonding...etc...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW i think the management will probably keep him from playing so he doesn't hurt himself...even if he thinks he can plan.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks like Jameer might actually play...

If he's judged healthy enough to return within the next few days, Orlando Magic all-star point guard Jameer Nelson will play against the team he was instrumental in beating twice this season --- the Los Angeles Lakers --- in the NBA Finals. Game 1 is Thursday night in Los Angeles.

General Manager Otis Smith told the Sentinel on Sunday that Nelson would only play if he passes "a litany of tests" and the club is comfortable with a decision that won't risk his future.

Nelson has not played since tearing the labrum in his right shoulder on Feb. 3 against the Dallas Mavericks. He underwent what was believed to be season-ending surgery on Feb. 19, but his rehabilitation is dramatically ahead of schedule, as much as two months.

Smith said Nelson underwent an MRI as recently as last week and has participated in contact drills.

"It's up in the air. We'll see how Jameer looks the next few days," Smith said. "There's a few more things we have to get comfortable with. We're looking at the pros and cons. Doctors will have to talk to doctors. If we're at a place where Jameer can help us accomplish our goals, then maybe he can play and give us some more punch.

"There's a litany of tests he'll have to pass. His health is the main thing. We're not going to mortgage his future."

Nelson keyed the sweep against the Lakers. He scored 15 of his 27 points in a third-quarter stretch to spark a 106-103 victory in Orlando on Dec. 20 and scored 15 of his 28 points in the fourth period of a 109-103 Magic win in L.A. on Jan. 16.

Nelson also will have input in the final decision. "Would I like to play? Of course. I'm a competitor," Nelson said. "But I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize me long-term."