Thread: Brent Sutter Resigns

Brent Sutter Resigns

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4245504

Sutter resigns after two seasons

NEWARK, N.J. -- Brent Sutter has resigned as the coach of the New Jersey Devils after just two seasons.

Sutter on Tuesday cited family reasons in making the decision, saying the Devils' crushing loss to the Carolina Hurricanes in Game 7 of their first-round Eastern Conference playoff series had nothing to do with it.

"I resigned my position as head coach and if there is anything that needs to be done I'll be there for them," said Sutter, who had a year left on his contract.

New Jersey, which won its seventh Atlantic Division title in 12 years this past spring, gave up two goals in the final 80 seconds in losing 4-3.

Sutter was said to be longing for his home in Red Deer, Alberta, after the playoffs ended.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Jets Insider VIP
    Who are the likely candidates to replace him?

All League
    I heard a rumor it's between Richard Bininya, and Heimlich M. Anoveur.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Who are the likely candidates to replace him?

Richard Hurts

I finally got around to this part of the board today when I saw it on ESPN...

I really hope MacLean gets it but I don't know how much love Lamoriello has for him at this point...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagman5A View Post
    Richard Hurts
    Don't forget that Indian guy, Lika Pooshy.

Banned
    This is ice hockey. Does it really friggin matter who the coach is? I know hardcore hockey fans will try to argue otherwise just like when baseball fans try to tell me the manager in baseball makes such a big difference but give me a break.

As long as Marty's here and there's semi-decent talent surrounding him they're a playoff team. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I finally got around to this part of the board today when I saw it on ESPN...

I really hope MacLean gets it but I don't know how much love Lamoriello has for him at this point...
    I hope it's not Mac. I really don't see him as head coach material.

I'm bummed to see Sutter leave. He's a very good coach IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    This is ice hockey. Does it really friggin matter who the coach is? I know hardcore hockey fans will try to argue otherwise just like when baseball fans try to tell me the manager in baseball makes such a big difference but give me a break.
    I couldn't disagree more.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I couldn't disagree more.
    ^

Would be pretty ignorant to think a coach does nothing. Even a team full of superstars will flop without one, from something as simple as ego-clashes. A coach does more than you could ever think unless you've been involved in sports.

Anyways, this SCF must have Gary pretty pissed off... Balsille is stealing the spotlight, then Sutter was stealing the spotlight, now Heatley is stealing the spotlight... You go on a hockey site and actually have to navigate a few pages to find anybody caring about the cup minus fans of those teams.

On topic: Lemaire.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I hope it's not Mac. I really don't see him as head coach material.

I'm bummed to see Sutter leave. He's a very good coach IMO.
    I think consistency is needed at this point...

Just for that fact, I'll go to bat for Mac... He was passed over already but I think that's because Lamoriello didn't think he had 'it' either...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post

As long as Marty's here and there's semi-decent talent surrounding him they're a playoff team. Period.

And if they don't hire a good coach, that's all they'll be - just another playoff team. If that.

Jets Insider VIP
    They'd be smart to hire Dave Tippett now that he's been fired.

He's done nothing but win in Dallas and he's a defense-first coach, which has always suited the Devils style.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7 View Post
    Lemaire.