Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 International Free Agents

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

2009 International Free Agents

Top 20 according to Baseball Prospectus:

1. Miguel Sano-SS- Pirates are the front runners. Rays, Cubs, A's, Jays, Yankees, Rangers and Twins also interested.

2. Gary Sanchez-C- Yankees are the front runners. Giants and Angels also interested.

3. Wagner Mateo-CF- Giants are the front runners. Dodgers and Cardinals also interested.

4. Guillermo Pimentel-LF- Rangers are the front runners. Already offered him 2 million.

5. Jose Vinicio-SS- Red Sox are expected to sign him for 1.5 million

6. Jose Pena-RF- Indians, Giants, Brewers, Dodgers, and Padres are all interested.

7. Rossel Herrera-SS- Rockies are expected to sign him for 1 million

8. Juan Urbina- LHP- Mets are expected to sign him for 800,000

9. Jurickson Profar- SS/RHP- Texas are the leaders.

10. Luis Jolly- LF- Phillies and Dodgers are the leaders.

11. Chesler Cuthbert- 3B- Royals, Braves, Pirates, Phillies, Rangers, Mariners, Red Sox, Cubs, and Cardinals

12. Jochy Ogando- RHP- Padres are the leaders. Angels, Dodgers, Astros, Mariners, Padres, and Rangers also interested.

13. Edgar Ferrera- LHP- Cardinals and Athletics

14. Chris Cabrera- RHP- Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Rangers, and Rays

15. Victor Payano- LHP- Rockies, Giants, Cardinals, and Dodgers

16. Jacob Beltre- 1B- Rangers, Pirates, and Brewers

17. Jose Osuna- RHP- Yankees, Indians, Royals, and Mets

18. Jean Carlos Batista- SS- Yankees, Dodgers, Rangers, A's, and Indians

19. Juan Castillo- SS- Yankees and Mariners

20. Daniel Sanchez- RHP- Rumored to be 19, therefore ranked low. Dont know where he's going.

Others:

Wilfredo Solano- 3B
    Dionicio Ramirez- C
    Leonardo Fuentes- OF
    Mario Sel Cairo- LHP
    Gian Carlos Santana- RHP

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be a pig in **** if the Yankees can some how sign both Sanchez and Sano.

But it became pretty obvious when the Pirates selected the Boston College catcher, who they don't have to pay Top 5 money, that they are going to make a strong push for Sano.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-11-2009 at 03:17 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I would be a pig in **** if the Yankees can some how sign both Sanchez and Sano.

But it became pretty obvious when the Pirates selected the Boston College catcher, who they don't have to pay Top 5 money, that they are going to make a strong push for Sano.
    Are they any good? How old are each? Couldn't find anything on them on google, anyways the Yankees have to do a good job with international FA because we always have low picks in the draft. So signing prized international FA is a must.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yankees are going to need a SS prospecct like Sano b/c in the next couple years Jeter is going to move to corner outfield or DH after the Yankees resign him.

I dunno if Catcher is a big need. I've really been impressed with Cervelli and think he may be our Catcher of the future.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

8. Juan Urbina- LHP- Mets are expected to sign him for 800,000

16 year old throwing 90mph?

eLOT

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Cubs need to strengthen their ties in Latin America.

I hope we sneak in like the A's did for Ynoa.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Are they any good? How old are each? Couldn't find anything on them on google, anyways the Yankees have to do a good job with international FA because we always have low picks in the draft. So signing prized international FA is a must.

Sanchez was born in 1992,

Jesus Montero was one of the prize free agents before the Yankees signed him, and he got a $1.6 million bonus. Gary Sanchez is expected to get a $3.1 - 3.4 million bonus, that tells you what they think of him. You may also remember Michael Inoa got a $4.25 million.

Miguel Sano is one of the most polished prospects I've ever seen... he says he's 15, but they had a bone marrow test done that says he's likely 16 or 17. I don't care, the kid can play.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Yankees are going to need a SS prospecct like Sano b/c in the next couple years Jeter is going to move to corner outfield or DH after the Yankees resign him.

I dunno if Catcher is a big need. I've really been impressed with Cervelli and think he may be our Catcher of the future.
    Before he got hurt Garrison Lassiter was holding his own in his first season of pro ball, so I still have high hopes for him, but you're right, we need bring in some big time short stop prospects.

I like what we have at catcher with Cervelli (who I think will be a back up) and Jesus Montero and Austin Romine. We also just brought in another catching prospect, John "J.R" Murphy.

I want to load up on shortstops and outfielders.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-11-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post

Cervelli might not even be the backup catcher of the future. If he's our future at catcher, the future looks extremely dim. The guy projects as a career .240 hitter with little pop.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/sp...otes.html?_r=2

WORKOUT FOR TEEN PROSPECT

Miguel Angel Sano, a top shortstop prospect, will work out for the Yankees at their academy in the Dominican Republic next Thursday, according to Sano’s agent, Rob Plummer. Sano, who turned 16 last month, is said to be drawing significant interest before the signing period for international players begins on July 2.

“I would say he has a Hanley Ramirez body and the possible upside of an Albert Pujols-type bat,” Plummer said. “He has a real short swing and hands that go right to the ball.”

Plummer said the Yankees had maintained steady interest in Sano, who is 6 feet 3 inches and bats right-handed. Sano has been linked to the Pittsburgh Pirates, and The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote last month that he had already been offered more than $3 million. The record bonus for a Dominican player is $4.25 million, which Oakland gave pitcher Michael Inoa last summer.
    Nice to see the Yankees make a run at this kid.

By the way, gotta love agents, Hanley Ramirez's body with Albert Pujols bat?

Does he also have Peter North's stamina?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Cervelli might not even be the backup catcher of the future. If he's our future at catcher, the future looks extremely dim. The guy projects as a career .240 hitter with little pop.
    The little pop part is true, but he's also a 23 year old catcher so it may not be totally true.

The guy was a .273/.374/.381 hitter in the minors, and posted a
    .308/.411/.374/.785 in his age 22 season across 3 levels.

Catchers are hard to project as hitters, but Cervelli at least looks like a decent average/above average OBP guy with a very good glove.

If he develops any kind of power at all then Cervelli has a shot to be a ML starting C. The fact that he has an awesome glove behind the plate certainly helps.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    The little pop part is true, but he's also a 23 year old catcher so it may not be totally true.

The guy was a .273/.374/.381 hitter in the minors, and posted a
    .308/.411/.374/.785 in his age 22 season across 3 levels.

Catchers are hard to project as hitters, but Cervelli at least looks like a decent average/above average OBP guy with a very good glove.

If he develops any kind of power at all then Cervelli has a shot to be a ML starting C. The fact that he has an awesome glove behind the plate certainly helps.
    Hes got a terrible OBP this year with the team at .283. I don't see Cervelli as the future starting catcher to the team, he may be a back up catcher type for us but won't be the starter. Hes a really good catcher, but his bat isn't that good. Guys like Romine and Montero are probably rated more as catchers of the future for the Yanks as they both have very good bats and improving defenses.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Montero is expected to end up as a catcher.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    I don't think Montero is expected to end up as a catcher.
    People are speculating that, but I heard that Montero is dead set on being a catcher and has been improving every year. Tony Pena thinks Montero can be a catcher in the bigs, so we'll have to wait and see with that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Here's the point on Cervelli (IMO) ....

I think we can already say he has long career ahead of him in MLB as a backup catcher barring injuries, and can possibly even develop into a starter ala Donover Navaro who we traded to the Rays, but he's not SO GOOD that you stop looking for a young catcher with All-Star caliber potential, and if you find that kid (Montero, Romine, draft or internationally), you know you also have a solid young backup (Cervelli) in place as well (when that kid gets here)

JMO
    We didn't trade him to the Rays, we traded him to the Dodgers in a 3 team deal, with Javier Vazquez and Shawn Green going to the Diamondbacks for Randy Johnson.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-13-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    People are speculating that, but I heard that Montero is dead set on being a catcher and has been improving every year. Tony Pena thinks Montero can be a catcher in the bigs, so we'll have to wait and see with that.
    The the fact the Yankees took Murphy in the second round and are about to sign Gary Sanchez on July 2nd tells me what the Yankees think of Montero behind the plate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just give this Sano the damn money and sign him if he's anywhere near as good as they say. Your the freaking Yankees - sign the best talent.

Yankees certainly like those catchers by the way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The the fact the Yankees took Murphy in the second round and are about to sign Gary Sanchez on July 2nd tells me what the Yankees think of Montero behind the plate.
    Fair enough, but I think they go for the best talent instead of worrying about position. Saying that I do agree that Montero will not be a catcher. Maybe he will to start out with, but not in the long run.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Just give this Sano the damn money and sign him if he's anywhere near as good as they say. Your the freaking Yankees - sign the best talent.

Yankees certainly like those catchers by the way.
    Agreed, if hes really this great prospect at SS they need to make sure they land him. Don't let the Pirates outbid you, its not like if he fails he sets this team back any bit.