Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 International Free Agents

The problem with Sano is that he'll likely outgrow shortstop. At 15 he was 6'3/185 lbs, how big do you think he'll be when he's 18-19-20 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Hes got a terrible OBP this year with the team at .283. I don't see Cervelli as the future starting catcher to the team, he may be a back up catcher type for us but won't be the starter. Hes a really good catcher, but his bat isn't that good. Guys like Romine and Montero are probably rated more as catchers of the future for the Yanks as they both have very good bats and improving defenses.
    And he's got a career .374 one in almost 750 minor league ABs.

On top of that he's shown a good enough eye with 74 walks to 133 K's in the minors.

On top of THAT he's hit a decent amount of doubles which can be a sign of power to come...or not.

And then theres the fact that every scouting report on Montero basically labels him a future DH/corner OF.

Romine looks like a good prospect though. If Cervelli remains a backup for his career, he'll be one of the best in the league and probably a borderline starter. It's not like theres a ton of catchers who can call a good game, has good instincts for the position defensively, and hit for decent average and get on base.

He's got 57 plate appearances this year.

The history of signing the "Bonus Babies" at such a young age is pretty terrible, being fully honest. The largest contracts given out to international players are guys like Wily Mo Pena and Joel Guzman. Michael Ynoa (Last years record breaker) was just shut down a week ago with Elbow Soreness. Point is that there's a long way from being a 16 year old in the Dominican Republic or Venezuela to being a big leaguer, and many guys fall by the wayside along the way. It's very risky buisness to do it the way that many of these teams are.

If I had a couple million dollars to spend, I'd rather spread it out over a dozen prospects with good tools then to give it all to one guy (Who is more hyped then anything else by International "Agents" who think they're Scott Boras). The Mets did their homework, discovered and only gave Jenrry Mejia $16,500 to sign, and he's a 19 year old fireballer with great stats over A+/AA this year, nevermind some of the other non-"Name" signings in their farm system like Ruben Tejada, Jeurys Familia, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    The history of signing the "Bonus Babies" at such a young age is pretty terrible, being fully honest. The largest contracts given out to international players are guys like Wily Mo Pena and Joel Guzman. Michael Ynoa (Last years record breaker) was just shut down a week ago with Elbow Soreness. Point is that there's a long way from being a 16 year old in the Dominican Republic or Venezuela to being a big leaguer, and many guys fall by the wayside along the way. It's very risky buisness to do it the way that many of these teams are.

If I had a couple million dollars to spend, I'd rather spread it out over a dozen prospects with good tools then to give it all to one guy (Who is more hyped then anything else by International "Agents" who think they're Scott Boras). The Mets did their homework, discovered and only gave Jenrry Mejia $16,500 to sign, and he's a 19 year old fireballer with great stats over A+/AA this year, nevermind some of the other non-"Name" signings in their farm system like Ruben Tejada, Jeurys Familia, ect.
    And the mets used two of their biggest IFAs in recent history in the Santana trade with Gomez and Guerra.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    And the mets used two of their biggest IFAs in recent history in the Santana trade with Gomez and Guerra.
    Gomez wasn't hyped at the time of the signing, from what I recall, he was more someone that we saw tools and potential in and developed into a "Top Prospect". Guerra was a bonus baby though (And a great job of selling high).

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Gomez wasn't hyped at the time of the signing, from what I recall, he was more someone that we saw tools and potential in and developed into a "Top Prospect". Guerra was a bonus baby though (And a great job of selling high).
    they are saying deolis was damaged goods.

venom wheres the mets minors thread bro??

we need to talk about how awesome holt/mejia/thole is and how ike davis is showing growth.

Definitely been a bunch of busts, and that's the nature of the game when your dealing with 16 year olds, but the Yankees did give Jesus Montero nearly $2M and although he's still got a ways to go, so far that looks like an awesome signing.

Anyways, it sounds like the Yankees are willing to give this Sano kid $3M and the Pirates are willing to give him $4M, so I don't like our chances of getting him.

edit: Actually I'm now reading a report that contrary to other reports, the Pirates are not willing to go to even $3M with the kid. Anyways, we will see I guess.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 06-14-2009 at 06:49 PM.

http://twitter.com/jorgearangure

Yankees deal with Dominican amateur C Gary Sanchez may be in the mid $2 million range and not the $3-$3.5 million range some believed.

Source still thinks Sano signs with the Pirates despite interest from Indians, Yankees. For how much? Who knows? But not likely to be record

http://dominicanbaseballuniverse.blo....html#comments

Gary Sanchez signed for a lot less money than expected great deal for the Yanks, their fans should be very happy.
    So it appears the Gary Sanchez deal is all but done, probably just waiting for July 2nd to sign on the dotted line.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06202009...er__175236.htm

SOURCES: YANKEES SIGN DOMINICAN CATCHER GARY SANCHEZ FOR $2.5M

By GEORGE A. KING III

Posted: 3:53 pm
    June 20, 2009

MIAMI -- According to several connections in the Dominican Republic, the Yankees and catching prospect Gary Sanchez have agreed to a $2.5 million deal.

Sanchez, 16, isn't eligible to sign until July 2, but the Yankees' dogged pursuit of the right-handed hitter has resulted in him wanting to sign with the club.

According to a Yankees source, who didn't confirm or deny the agreement or money, nothing is guaranteed until a contract is signed.

"He is a big kid with a big arm," a Latin American talent evaluator for an NL team said of the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Sanchez. "I would like to have him, but $2.5 million is a lot of money. He has a thick body. He is a real good hitter, but he doesn't hit like Jesus Montero."

The Yankees gave Montero, a catcher from Venezuela, $1.6 million in 2006 and he has impressed with the bat in two-plus years in the organization. After hitting .356 with eight homers and 37 RBIs in 48 games for Single-A Tampa, the 19-year-old Montero (6-foot-4, 225 pounds) was promoted to Double-A Trenton, where he is batting .283 with three RBIs in 13 games.

"Sanchez shows a lot of power in batting practice, but it doesn't always transfer to games when the swing gets a little long," the scout said. "He is an interesting guy."

The Yankees are also interested in shortstop Miguel Angel Sano.

"If he is 16, I have never seen a 16-year-old with that type of body," the scout said of the 6-foot-3 Sano.

Two Cuban defectors, lefty Noel Arguelles and shortstop Jose Iglesias, are on the Yankees' radar. The pair left the World Junior Championships last summer in Edmonton and were cleared to negotiate with big league clubs June 12. They have been in the Dominican since defecting.

They originally were represented by Jaime Torres but have hired Fernando Cuza. One story out of the Dominican is that a deal with the Yankees fell apart and Arguelles' father let Torres go.

GM Brian Cashman refused comment on the Yankees' interest in the Cuban defectors.

"He's 19 with a fastball between 89 and 93 mph," a scout said of Arguelles. "I would say he is two to three years away from the big leagues. The shortstop can pick it and is a plus runner but the bat is just OK. I would say he is a No. 7 or 8 hitter."

I'll say right now that there's no way I believe Sano is 16 years old. Good news about Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I'll say right now that there's no way I believe Sano is 16 years old. Good news about Sanchez.
    His age is pretty hard to believe, if you see a video of him, it looks like he's MLB ready, he's very polished.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    His age is pretty hard to believe, if you see a video of him, it looks like he's MLB ready, he's very polished.
    Yeah I watched it. He looks at least 18, and an old 18 at that...

I know they say they have done some sort of bone scan or something, but I also know that those bone scans can be off by a few years. I don't know, we'll see, but I wouldn't have a problem if the Yankees didn't give a huge bid for the kid if they were suspicious about his age.

It's not much, but finally here's some footage of this kid Sanchez.

http://vimeo.com/5254238

http://vimeo.com/5254232

Very strong arm, swing looks kinda long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Top 20 according to Baseball Prospectus:

1. Miguel Sano-SS- Pirates are the front runners. Rays, Cubs, A's, Jays, Yankees, Rangers and Twins also interested.

2. Gary Sanchez-C- Yankees are the front runners. Giants and Angels also interested.

3. Wagner Mateo-CF- Giants are the front runners. Dodgers and Cardinals also interested.

4. Guillermo Pimentel-LF- Rangers are the front runners. Already offered him 2 million.

5. Jose Vinicio-SS- Red Sox are expected to sign him for 1.5 million

6. Jose Pena-RF- Indians, Giants, Brewers, Dodgers, and Padres are all interested.

7. Rossel Herrera-SS- Rockies are expected to sign him for 1 million

8. Juan Urbina- LHP- Mets are expected to sign him for 800,000

9. Jurickson Profar- SS/RHP- Texas are the leaders.

10. Luis Jolly- LF- Phillies and Dodgers are the leaders.

11. Chesler Cuthbert- 3B- Royals, Braves, Pirates, Phillies, Rangers, Mariners, Red Sox, Cubs, and Cardinals

12. Jochy Ogando- RHP- Padres are the leaders. Angels, Dodgers, Astros, Mariners, Padres, and Rangers also interested.

13. Edgar Ferrera- LHP- Cardinals and Athletics

14. Chris Cabrera- RHP- Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Rangers, and Rays

15. Victor Payano- LHP- Rockies, Giants, Cardinals, and Dodgers

16. Jacob Beltre- 1B- Rangers, Pirates, and Brewers

17. Jose Osuna- RHP- Yankees, Indians, Royals, and Mets

18. Jean Carlos Batista- SS- Yankees, Dodgers, Rangers, A's, and Indians

19. Juan Castillo- SS- Yankees and Mariners

20. Daniel Sanchez- RHP- Rumored to be 19, therefore ranked low. Dont know where he's going.

Others:

Wilfredo Solano- 3B
    Dionicio Ramirez- C
    Leonardo Fuentes- OF
    Mario Sel Cairo- LHP
    Gian Carlos Santana- RHP
    Rumor has it the Yankees offered center fielder Wagner Mateo $3.5 million.

Here is some video on him:

http://vimeo.com/4804359

He looks pretty big, so he may out grow CF, and he doesn't look especially fast.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-24-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Hopefully we get him, I like signing international position players. We have gotten some good ones lately, hopefully we can add a gem here. Always good to load up on talent for trades too.

Well it's July 2nd, players can now sing with Major League clubs.

-As expected catcher Gary Sanchez will sign with the Yankees:

http://twitter.com/jorgearangure

Yankees press conference to announce C Gary Sanchez's signing will be at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Jaragua Hotel in Santo Domingo.
    -Some other news:

http://twitter.com/BenBadler

Yankees making their moves. Hearing Dominican RHP Christopher Cabrera to the Yankees for $400K
    Sounds like Yankees are gonna sign that speedy shortstop Damian Arredondo from D.R. No relation to Jose, I've been told.

9:40 AM: Itís been confirmed to by a Mets source that they have signed Venezuelan LHP Juan Urbina, son of former big leaguer Ugueth Urbina. I have also confirmed that the bonus is for over $1 million. Iíll try to track down the specific amount.
    -Baseball Prospectus

This is from BA a while back,

Juan Urbina, who has a slender 6-foot-1 frame, throws an 88-89 mph fastball that some scouts say has touched 90-91. With a loose arm and a projectable body, Urbina'a fastball projects as a future plus if not plus-plus pitch. Urbina also has a curveball that could be a future plus offering, with a smooth delivery and a clean follow-through.

One scout called Urbina the best lefthanded pitcher he has seen in Venezuela in the last five years, high praise for a country that produced Martin Perez of the Rangers. Scouts say the Mets are the frontrunners to sign Urbina, whose father is currently serving a 14-year prison sentence in Venezuela for attempted murder. Ugueth Urbina was convicted in March 2007 for the 2005 incident in which he attacked five workers on his farm with a machete and poured gasoline on them