Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I was going to watch hockey. and then I realized that I have no clue

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
    You don't say?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I was going to watch hockey. and then I realized that I have no clue what channel the outdoor life network is.
    HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
    If the NHL keeps it up they'll be showing Conference Finals games on the weather channel.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Simply put, you don't appreciate the game (of hockey) then.

So you could sit down and watch 4 quarters of the Thunder and the Wizards and say afterwards, "that was great."???
    Better than watching the Columbus Blue Jackets and the San Jose Sharks - talk about exciting.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    IDK.

The ratings for the NBA Finals the last 5 years are the lowest they've been since the late 70's.

The Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals this year was the most watched NHL game in 36 years.

Game 7 got a 4.3 share while Game 5 of the NBA Finals drew a 5.6.

That's pretty close considering the revenue disparities for both leagues.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    IDK.

The ratings for the NBA Finals the last 5 years are the lowest they've been since the late 70's.

The Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals this year was the most watched NHL game in 36 years.

And if this years quality was any indication, those numbers should both continue to trend in that direction for another year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    IDK.

It was a game 7. compared to a game 5 of a blowout series. those are some low expectations

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    please please don't judge the NHL based on coverage and ratings. I despise when peoples arguments against it are based on the fact it's on versus.....what the **** does that have to do anything.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    It was a game 7. compared to a game 5 of a blowout series. those are some low expectations
    +1 a game 7 of Penguins Red wings, wouldn't even come close to a game 7 of a Celtics Lakers. Im a fan of hockey and the rangers, I just don't think it puts the "nba to shame"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Why ignore the rest of my post that states that NBA Finals ratings in the last 5 years are the lowest they've been since the late 70's?

Besides, if the product is that much better, it shouldn't need a Game 7 to blow away the NHL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
    And if this years quality was any indication, those numbers should both continue to trend in that direction for another year.
    (I hope not because I'm a Devils fan)

But honestly, what if we saw that match up again next year...

A rubber game, for consecutive seasons...

Ratings would be through the roof...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    please please don't judge the NHL based on coverage and ratings. I despise when peoples arguments against it are based on the fact it's on versus.....what the **** does that have to do anything.

Actually its huge and the NHL should be judged very harshly for Versus. I am a huge hockey fan and have not watched a game since the Rangers and Devs were eliminated because its not on my TV and its not on the cable packages of most of the people I know. Great way to market the game! I will not spend another dime on cable TV so the NHL ceases to exist in my household once the NYR get eliminated. My kids are missing out on great hockey. Another 5 years they wont care and the NHL will have lost out on a generation. I used to love watchng the late night west coast playoff games when they were on ESPN. When they were showing highlights of the Pens victory on the news the other night, my 7 year old noticed and said "Dad, hockeys back!!" Um, no, they just didnt allow him to watch the past 6 weeks.
    Hockey is great, but the NHL absolutely sucks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least there were a couple very good online streams for the versus games this year. Last year they were horrible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    +1 a game 7 of Penguins Red wings, wouldn't even come close to a game 7 of a Celtics Lakers. Im a fan of hockey and the rangers, I just don't think it puts the "nba to shame"
    +1.

This whole discussion makes it seem as if people are picking hockey over basketball and that is not the case people are choosing to not watch the basketball becuase it was horrible.

This doesn't elevate hockey from its place as a fringe sport in this country.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36 View Post
    actually its huge and the nhl should be judged very harshly for versus. I am a huge hockey fan and have not watched a game since the rangers and devs were eliminated because its not on my tv and its not on the cable packages of most of the people i know. Great way to market the game! I will not spend another dime on cable tv so the nhl ceases to exist in my household once the nyr get eliminated. My kids are missing out on great hockey. Another 5 years they wont care and the nhl will have lost out on a generation. I used to love watchng the late night west coast playoff games when they were on espn. When they were showing highlights of the pens victory on the news the other night, my 7 year old noticed and said "dad, hockeys back!!" um, no, they just didnt allow him to watch the past 6 weeks.
    Hockey is great, but the nhl absolutely sucks.
    qft!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    What were the ratings on the hockey game, Jon and Kate Plus 8 reruns had a better rating.
    Britney Spears is a great musician I hear. At least, her sales reflect that.

Quality > Quantity.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36 View Post
    Hockey is great, but the NHL absolutely sucks.
    Aside from agreeing with everything else, I must outline this, and pin it as the staple of that paragraph.

I don't think the NHL "absolutely" sucks, but I can very easily side with you as we're in, at the least, the same ballpark.

NHL has gone from a fine sport to a literal "Market that personality" sport (I will laugh in the face of basketball fans that takes that line to mock, you created that sport).

The NHL has compromised it's integrity for appeal, we're a totally watered down sport by this point. There's alot of very exciting teams out there... But teams like Pittsburgh and Washington have become total marketing ploys. Not to say they aren't two very fine teams, with some very fine players. You don't need to ****ing tell me though, or anybody who follows the sport, for that matter.

Hockey is an elitist sport, anybody denying it is a fool. It's apparent appeal outrages the last of our kind, and we all know it, no matter the denial. We're not elitist in the sense that 'we're the best of all', so much as the fact that this sport once had integrity nobody could touch, even in the 80's dudes were making less than they did having a real job, and set the true peaks of hockey history. Why is this impressive? Because unalike other sports, you're not born with the ability, you have to put on skates before you even know what your abilities are. Furthermore, the money invested in this **** is ridiculous, it is by NO means a cheap sport.

If we didn't grow up playing it, we had someone close playing it, and telling us all about it, or just followed the lead of formers. If you turn on your TV and see "a bunch of guys chasing a piece of rubber with a piece of wood" you're not about to like it. The pure athleticism poured into this sport is nothing short of mind-boggling.. It's very, very dear to me. I played from age 6 - 18 (21) now, I screwed up my knee, it literally destroyed alot of my life. My family had invested more than a few thousand into me at that point, we even relocated so I could play with the best club available.

There is no "scholarships" in hockey. As I said, it is indeed an elitist sport, no two ways about it. The market outside of Canada is ridiculous for the most part. It's a way of life here, I know alot of you won't get that... but your NCAA football stars are like our OHL stars to us, it's a very passionate game. We cherish nobody like we do American fans of this sport though, it seems to be quite the minority, and I've never met another of my type that doesn't get excited over it (even if solely to talk ****).

We aren't, and never will be, as big as you guys are, or have your level of talent to choose from, yet we net (approx) 60% of the talent in a sport participated by over 20 countries.

Anyways, I'll try to cut the rambling a bit short. That's once perspective I hope at least a few can sink in though. To me it's like a fine wine, to you it might be a bitter beer, but no less... I take mockery of it seriously.