Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official NHL Draft Thread

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Official NHL Draft Thread

<crickets>

So the three mock drafts on NHL.com have the Isles taking C John Tavares with the first pick. I haven't checked tsn.ca to see what those crazy canucks are saying.

I think Snow trades the pick, moves down a spot or two and picks up a second rounder, and takes Hedman.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I so desperately wanted to respond to your post... but, sorry... I uh....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way the Isles pass on Tavares, even though I think they'd do alot better to go with Hedman.

I hope LA makes good on the Heatley trade... the mock's have MSP falling to their pick, and OEL falling to 9th. Would definitely be quite the haul for my boys.

If the 5th pick doesn't happen, I hope to draft Kadri at 9th still, though I wouldn't be against OEL.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maple Leafs need a goal scorer, any good one's going to be around for the 7th pick?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brayden Schenn is Burkes target, no doubt about it.

He'll be a solid guy, I can realistically see him as an eventual 70 pt per year guy (though the sky is his limit, 90 pt potential forsure), but he's very defensively sound. If MSP is there at the 7th spot though, Burke is gunna get hard.

Realistically, the top 15 in this draft are likely the most well-rounded I can ever recall, it's pretty deep... but that's said every year, the first round of this draft is going to be great as a whole, but everybody with a top 15 pick this year is laughing all the way to the bank.

The drafts have been fun the last while though, lots of guys I've played with have been drafted.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the islanders also have the 26th pick and 3 2nd rounders and more than one 3rd rounder, so hopefully they can move up in the 1st round again

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love for the Devils to move up and get Moore

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I'd love for the Devils to move up and get Moore
    From all indications, Moore is goign to be a top 10 pick, so its unlikely the devils will give up that much to move up to get him.

The Islanders have to take Tavares, and I think they will. No way they promote a draft party, give away 20,000 tickets, and not take the guy the fans overwhelmingly want. I dont think a fanbase should determine a pick, but if this is a Mario Williams/Reggie Bush situation, they better announce it before the draft.

I wonder if the rangers have what it takes to get Heatley. Would the rangers be willing to part with say Callahan, Drury, Girardi and this years first. I think that is a realistic package.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla View Post
    From all indications, Moore is goign to be a top 10 pick, so its unlikely the devils will give up that much to move up to get him.
    That's okay, I'll settle for Kulikov as well

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The Islanders have to take Tavares, and I think they will. No way they promote a draft party, give away 20,000 tickets, and not take the guy the fans overwhelmingly want. I dont think a fanbase should determine a pick, but if this is a Mario Williams/Reggie Bush situation, they better announce it before the draft.

I wonder if the rangers have what it takes to get Heatley. Would the rangers be willing to part with say Callahan, Drury, Girardi and this years first. I think that is a realistic package.
    If Moore goes in the top 10 I'll eat my hat.

1 - Tavares - Isles wont pass up on the guy set to save their franchise.
    2 - Hedman - The stud on D they need, Stamkos and Hedman secure future.
    3 - Duchene - No brainer.
    4 - Kane - Thrashers need someone like this to keep Kovalchuck happy.
    5 - Pajaarvi Svensson - explain later
    6 - Cowen*
    7 - Schenn*
    8 - Ekman-Larsen - Zubov is a fossil, I'd hate to see him go pick before ours.
    9 - Nazem Kadri - Murray is all over him, plus the Lebanese thing makes him the perfect sell for this city.
    10 - Glennie or Schroeder - Hemskey gets his guy to play with

* - Interchangable, Burke will do anything in his power to land Schenn, won't be shocked if a trade happens.

Kulikov, Ellis and Kassian are still far more "hot commodities" than Moore. He'll likely fall to 15th. He's still a pretty nice looking talent and all, but I don't think anybody in the top 10 would be foolish enough to reach... The quality of this draft takes a nice drop off after the 10th pick.

Sens definitely wont trade with Rangers, we're not about to eat any huge salary to do anybody any favours. Murray has made it very clear that he's not taking a big contract unless he gets the package of a lifetime. LA sounds to be offering the 5th overall pick (Frolov, Hickey and Johnsson are being thrown around as names involved too) for Heatley, Murray is playing hardball, but my best guess is that Heatley is a King by Friday night. If the Sens land in the 5th pick, MPS is a Senator, and I'll do a dance or two.

This is going to be an excellent draft, no two ways about it. Been waiting for it for months now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's any chance the Rangers trade Callahan.

And I can't see the Rangers taking on Heatley's cap hit for 5 more years when Drury's goes away in 3. The Rangers need to shed salary. Sather screwed the pooch once again 2 off-seasons ago after having made some great moves before that. Now the Rangers will pay for at least 3 more years for his mismanagement. Which means, they will be forced to put an inferior product on the ice or hope their young players step up to the plate and produce.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i wish the isles wouldve gotten more at trade deadline time, maybe dumped wittt or got more for guerin an extra 1st would look awesome right now, id love to see them move up into the mid 1st round, and get a stellar Defenseman to go with tavaras(HOPEFULLY)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I don't think there's any chance the Rangers trade Callahan.

And I can't see the Rangers taking on Heatley's cap hit for 5 more years when Drury's goes away in 3. The Rangers need to shed salary. Sather screwed the pooch once again 2 off-seasons ago after having made some great moves before that. Now the Rangers will pay for at least 3 more years for his mismanagement. Which means, they will be forced to put an inferior product on the ice or hope their young players step up to the plate and produce.
    I think Callahan is very much available, especially when Dany Heatley is on the other end of the table. 50 goal scorers do not grow on trees. Callahan is a nice player who broke out last year. He will never score more than 30 goals or 60 points in my opinion. True, hes masterful on the PK, but to say they there is no chance they trade Callahan, who is a RFA by the way (I can definitely see a team making an offer for him the rangers cannot match), in my opinion is shortsighted. This is especially true with the rangers cap situation, which you correctly alluded to. Would you rid yourself of Gomez if the condition was to include Callahan? Callahan and Dubinsky may be the perfect chips for the rangers to rid themselves of salary. Sather may have too big an ego to do this, so it probably wont happen, but with the cap going down and the economy being the way it is, the rangers are missing out on some potential bargains out there. If you rid yourself of Gomez for example, say hello to Gaborik on Broadway.

I havent looked at Drury's contract but I think the bulk of it was front loaded, which makes him attractive to other teams. I beleive the ranagers can afford Heatley if Drury came off the books and due to Naslud retiring. I think Rosival comes off the books after this season. Del Zotto and Sanguinetti should be NHL'ers by then on entry level contracts.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan66 View Post
    i wish the isles wouldve gotten more at trade deadline time, maybe dumped wittt or got more for guerin an extra 1st would look awesome right now, id love to see them move up into the mid 1st round, and get a stellar Defenseman to go with tavaras(HOPEFULLY)
    Witt would have netted a 3rd round pick - maybe. I dont think the Islanders could have done any more than they did at the deadline. Guerin only yielded a conditional 3rd because he had a NTC and only 2 teams maybe were interested in him. I am thrilled Weight is back because there is no better ambassador for this team.

The only other great chip we have is Trent Hunter, who is signed for 4 more years at a very affordable 2 million per year. What a steal that contract is. He was out for the year at the time of the deadline. I can see the Islanders trading him at the draft, but I would be careful. From what I have read, this is a deep draft and there isnt much of a difference between say the 16th and 30th picks.

For all of those wanting to trade Mark Streit for a first round pick - no chance in hell. What he did last year was simply incredible. If he played in Toronto or Montreal, he would have been a top 3 Norris candidate. I am sick and tired of the team playing the season to prepare for the offseason so I want to keep guys like Streit because he will be a key when we are playoff ready in two seasons.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Callahan is very much available, especially when Dany Heatley is on the other end of the table. 50 goal scorers do not grow on trees. Callahan is a nice player who broke out last year. He will never score more than 30 goals or 60 points in my opinion. True, hes masterful on the PK, but to say they there is no chance they trade Callahan, who is a RFA by the way (I can definitely see a team making an offer for him the rangers cannot match), in my opinion is shortsighted. This is especially true with the rangers cap situation, which you correctly alluded to. Would you rid yourself of Gomez if the condition was to include Callahan? Callahan and Dubinsky may be the perfect chips for the rangers to rid themselves of salary. Sather may have too big an ego to do this, so it probably wont happen, but with the cap going down and the economy being the way it is, the rangers are missing out on some potential bargains out there. If you rid yourself of Gomez for example, say hello to Gaborik on Broadway.

I havent looked at Drury's contract but I think the bulk of it was front loaded, which makes him attractive to other teams. I beleive the ranagers can afford Heatley if Drury came off the books and due to Naslud retiring. I think Rosival comes off the books after this season. Del Zotto and Sanguinetti should be NHL'ers by then on entry level contracts.
    Drury's salary doesn't decrease until 2011/12, when it goes down to $5M. It's $8M for the next 2 seasons. Rozsival, unfortunately, doesn't come off the books until after the 2011/12 season, with decreasing salary until then.

I'm not a cap expert, but I know that the Rangers take a $7M cap hit each year with Drury even though his salary decreases. The up front money is factored in. I don't know what happens to that cap hit if the Rangers trade him. Do the Rangers have to absorb some of the hit moving forward? I don't know.

Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that Callahan was untradeable. What I probably should have said is that they're not going to give him away. He won't be a throw-in in any deal. He's definitely a blue chip in any deal. Sather's a fool if he does.

But I don't think Sather does Callahan, Drury, Girardi and the Rangers #1 (two top 6 forwards, a top 2-4 Dman and a #1) for Heatley. Heatley is due a $4M upfront payment from Ottawa on July 1st. Ottawa will very likely be moving him for less than they might otherwise want to avoid making that payment.

I could see the Rangers including Zherdev. But not Callahan or Dubinsky. Heatley is an excellent goal scorer but I don't think he puts them over the top. Especially if you have to sacrifice part of your core of productive youngsters to get him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Witt would have netted a 3rd round pick - maybe. I dont think the Islanders could have done any more than they did at the deadline. Guerin only yielded a conditional 3rd because he had a NTC and only 2 teams maybe were interested in him. I am thrilled Weight is back because there is no better ambassador for this team.

The only other great chip we have is Trent Hunter, who is signed for 4 more years at a very affordable 2 million per year. What a steal that contract is. He was out for the year at the time of the deadline. I can see the Islanders trading him at the draft, but I would be careful. From what I have read, this is a deep draft and there isnt much of a difference between say the 16th and 30th picks.

For all of those wanting to trade Mark Streit for a first round pick - no chance in hell. What he did last year was simply incredible. If he played in Toronto or Montreal, he would have been a top 3 Norris candidate. I am sick and tired of the team playing the season to prepare for the offseason so I want to keep guys like Streit because he will be a key when we are playoff ready in two seasons.
    trading steit wouldve been a huge mistake, if the isles make 2 smart picks this week and maybe 1 good signing and dipietro comes back and plays well they could be a good team this year, okposo bailey hopefully tavares and another good 1st rounder could be a nice sign for the future

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan66 View Post
    trading steit wouldve been a huge mistake, if the isles make 2 smart picks this week and maybe 1 good signing and dipietro comes back and plays well they could be a good team this year, okposo bailey hopefully tavares and another good 1st rounder could be a nice sign for the future
    Firstly, I would say it would be a near miracle if DP plays even 40 games. Secondly, even if we overcome the injury bug this season, I think a realistic best case is the 9th seed. We just dont have the depth. Neilsen, Bergeheim, Comeau are all nice players, but they are role players on championship teams. You cant rely on any of them to net you 30 goals and on this team, they are all top 9 guys who we need to produce. Our Dmen are comprised of Streit, a bonifide 1/2, and 7 other 5/6 dmen, if that, on pretty much any other NHL team. Sutton and Witt just dont fit the system we try to play, and guys like Meyer, Hillen Martinek (who is overrated by isles fans) and Gervais (got better towards the end of the year) wouldnt crack 75% of NHL teams' lineups.

So yes, while there is certainly a lot to get excited about for the first time in a long time, I wouldnt predict a good team next year, especially when Philly, Pitt, NJ and the Rangers (who are regressing in my opinion but will have an offseason with Tortorella) are in the division.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ i would like to know why you think Martinek is overrated by islander fans...

Martinek is the 2nd best D man on the team behind Streit...hes a great skater, can control the puck very nicley and he has good defensive awarness...

I am not saying hes a stud, IMO there are ALOT better D men out there but he is a good fit on the team. the real knock against is he is injury prone... but then again who on that team isnt...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    <crickets>

So the three mock drafts on NHL.com have the Isles taking C John Tavares with the first pick. I haven't checked tsn.ca to see what those crazy canucks are saying.

I think Snow trades the pick, moves down a spot or two and picks up a second rounder, and takes Hedman.
    I don't know much about the NHL draft, or NHL at all. I just root for my hometown team the Bruins, and only know a few players...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson80 View Post
    ^ i would like to know why you think Martinek is overrated by islander fans...

Martinek is the 2nd best D man on the team behind Streit...hes a great skater, can control the puck very nicley and he has good defensive awarness...

I am not saying hes a stud, IMO there are ALOT better D men out there but he is a good fit on the team. the real knock against is he is injury prone... but then again who on that team isnt...
    I know +/- can be an overrated stat, but while Streit was +6 on the worst team in the league, Martinek was -16. All I am saying is that if you look around the league, Martinek is a solid 5/6 DMAN. The fact that he is the second best to me is irrelevant because it is unacceptable if Martinek is the second best on an NHL team.

Let me put it to you in another way. If the islanders traded Martinek tonight, what would the return be? A 3rd round pick? Maybe? I you think he is worth a second, I have a bridge to sell you in Alaska. With Dmen being as valuable as they are, for the second best Dman on an NHL team to only yield a 3rd round pick, at best, says all I need to know about why we are as bad as we are.