Thread: Official NHL Draft Thread

All Pro
    Pronger going to the Flyers apparently.

Isles are rumored to take Duechne

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post

Isles are rumored to take Duechne
    Tavares goes #1...

And the Isles trade from 16th to 26th and grab additional 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders only giving up their 3rd in return...

All League
    I should have stuck to the top 5.

Can't believe Cowen fell to us, even happier that we drafted the best goalie prospect -- Not to mention his father is Henrik Lundqvist's old goalie coach, whom he greatly accredits.

lol @ the Isles trading up to get De Haan, he would have fell to 16 anyways. Terrible move.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    What a total and complete fleece job by Anaheim.

Trading an old, albeit great, defenseman in the last year of his contract for a guy who's proven to score with Getzlaf and Perry before, a nice prospect in Sbisa and two firsts and potentially a 3rd if Pronger re-signs.

Rookie
    Was at Bell Centre last night. Happy with what the Habs did.

Oleeee-ole-ole-ole-oleeeeee-ole...

Jets Insider VIP
    IMO, Rangers got a steal in Chris Kreider and did very well by picking Werek in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla View Post
    I know +/- can be an overrated stat, but while Streit was +6 on the worst team in the league, Martinek was -16. All I am saying is that if you look around the league, Martinek is a solid 5/6 DMAN. The fact that he is the second best to me is irrelevant because it is unacceptable if Martinek is the second best on an NHL team.

Let me put it to you in another way. If the islanders traded Martinek tonight, what would the return be? A 3rd round pick? Maybe? I you think he is worth a second, I have a bridge to sell you in Alaska. With Dmen being as valuable as they are, for the second best Dman on an NHL team to only yield a 3rd round pick, at best, says all I need to know about why we are as bad as we are.
    i dont think any islander fan will argue with you about them being bad, but with the young developing talent on the team its a reason to be excited...

overall im happy with the islanders draft, i wouldve rather stay at 16 and picked john moore but hopefully de haan is good... also i was so excited when the 1st round ended and landon ferrarro was on the board then the isles passed on him and he went the next pick

So the my Leafs drafted Nazem Kadri, good or bad pick?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
    what a total and complete fleece job by anaheim.

Trading an old, albeit great, defenseman in the last year of his contract for a guy who's proven to score with getzlaf and perry before, a nice prospect in sbisa and two firsts and potentially a 3rd if pronger re-signs.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Kadri was a good pick. Has a lot of upside on the offensive side. Needs to be more consistent.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    Was at Bell Centre last night. Happy with what the Habs did.

Oleeee-ole-ole-ole-oleeeeee-ole...

Louis Leblanc wasn't a bad pick at all, he's a very unique player in regards to his skating fluency.. Something about him is very illusive, very smart with his vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    IMO, Rangers got a steal in Chris Kreider and did very well by picking Werek in the 2nd.
    He's a good kid, very comparable to Vermette, imo. Hopefully - unalike Vermette - he can reach his potential. Great skater, great PK guy. Not so sure I'd call him a steal though, Vancouver got a steal picking up Schroeder in the 22nd slot.

He was a bit of a reach at 7, but a great pick nonetheless. He's more or less projected to be Spezza-lite.. Tall and lanky, amazing offensive skills, same questions about "laziness" (all huge offensive skillsets seem to get that one). His potential obviously isn't quite as high as Spezza's was, but I think they compare pretty nicely, both in upsides and downsides. He's a solid kid (although a Habs fan), I think he's exactly the kind of guy the Leafs have been looking for since... well, the last time you had a huge offensive guy.

Looking forward to the Schenn/Cowen rivalry that is sure to follow.. Both from Saskatoon, both have played together many times, both wear #2, and both have insane defensive upsides. Just what the Sens vs. Leafs thing needs, it's been boring for the last 2 seasons.
    Last edited by Steel7; 06-29-2009 at 09:43 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
    +1
    I can't even ****ing believe Despres fell to you guys. His final overall rank was in the top 15. Guy is an awful lot like Orpik - only with less offensive skills lol.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7 View Post

He's a good kid, very comparable to Vermette, imo. Hopefully - unalike Vermette - he can reach his potential. Great skater, great PK guy. Not so sure I'd call him a steal though, Vancouver got a steal picking up Schroeder in the 22nd slot.

Schroeder has the skill set to have been a top 15 pick but I think teams shied away from him because of his size. He has time to grow but if he does, will he be ready to go right away? The smurf player isn't very desirable in today's NHL with all the size and speed combinations that are emerging every year.

All League
    Schroeder has the skill set to have been a top 15 pick but I think teams shied away from him because of his size. He has time to grow but if he does, will he be ready to go right away? The smurf player isn't very desirable in today's NHL with all the size and speed combinations that are emerging every year.
    Yeah forsure. He is a very skilled kid though, if you've ever seen him play at the semi-pro level you'll know what I mean. The kid can dangle and deke through anything, and he's sneaky as ****. Whether this translates to the NHL or not is always a big question with every prospect, they don't exactly play your Chris Prongers and Nik Lidstroms, I think this kid is gunna be huge though. He probably doesn't have a grey area though, he'll either do great, or terrible.

I actually had him as a possible top 10 (as did alot of scouts, even) he's a very exciting player to watch. I hope he pans out for Vancouver because it will be a great pickup. Although I'm inclined to say you guys probably made the safer of the choices.

I was watching a bit of the draft and it was pretty obvious the Leafs wanted B. Shenn, I also found it pretty funny when Burke asked the Habs GM is Kadri was the guy they likes, the Habs GM said yes, and then Burke said alright, we're going to take him.

hopefully the islanders do bad again this year and next year they can pick someone else who will develop into a stud, it takes years for these types of turnaround process

All League
    I was watching a bit of the draft and it was pretty obvious the Leafs wanted B. Shenn, I also found it pretty funny when Burke asked the Habs GM is Kadri was the guy they likes, the Habs GM said yes, and then Burke said alright, we're going to take him.
    Gainey is Mahnrayeau's GM, Murray is Ottawa's.

Lots of Leaf fans were mighty sore that he got played by Murray and let Cowen fall. If you watch the two closely, it's pretty clear what's going on. Burke got arrogant and showed his hands (after Murray purposely "leaked" his choice -- He does this every year.. lol). Burke is the 2nd easiest GM to play like a fiddle, worst talent evaluation ever... I don't think he's ever had a successful pick that wasn't a bona fide prospect. He is excellent at getting in a position to draft them though, I'll give him that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7 View Post
    Gainey is Mahnrayeau's GM, Murray is Ottawa's.

Lots of Leaf fans were mighty sore that he got played by Murray and let Cowen fall. If you watch the two closely, it's pretty clear what's going on. Burke got arrogant and showed his hands (after Murray purposely "leaked" his choice -- He does this every year.. lol). Burke is the 2nd easiest GM to play like a fiddle, worst talent evaluation ever... I don't think he's ever had a successful pick that wasn't a bona fide prospect. He is excellent at getting in a position to draft them though, I'll give him that.
    Not to mention that Burke is quite the arrogant prick.

I looked at his drafting history. While with Vancouver, the only player he picked after Round 1 that developed was your boy Jarkko Ruutu. The Sedin twins were gift wrapped for him. His draft picks with Anaheim have thus far turned out to be brutal. His only strength might be acquiring veterans. If he had ever been with a cash-strapped team that couldn't afford to buy FA's, he'd be back in the NHL offices licking Bettmann's shoes.

All League
    Not to mention that Burke is quite the arrogant prick.

I looked at his drafting history. While with Vancouver, the only player he picked after Round 1 that developed was your boy Jarkko Ruutu. The Sedin twins were gift wrapped for him. His draft picks with Anaheim have thus far turned out to be brutal. His only strength might be acquiring veterans. If he had ever been with a cash-strapped team that couldn't afford to buy FA's, he'd be back in the NHL offices licking Bettmann's shoes.
    He made a **** load of trades to get both the Sedins, but that was really a no-brainer pick, like I said before, he only knows bona-fide talent, and how to get in position for them. Dude is clueless when it comes to sleepers.

As for Anaheim, you're mostly right BUT.. Bobby Ryan. Not even kidding when I say I'd trade Dany Heatley for Bobby Ryan straight up. He was another bona fide talent though no.2 overall lol.

Anaheim is currently reaping the rewards from Bryan Murrays excellent drafting and Tim Murray (and his team)'s excellent scouting. I hope they can do the same for us... What I wouldn't give to have a Getzlaf and Perry of our own.

Anyways, when Jarkko is your only post 1st round success story, that's gotta be a tough pill to swallow. He is a helpful guy though, but that's solely because of his role rather than talent. I don't know how Burke has gotten to the status that he's add, he can make some very nice trades - I'll give him that. He doesn't seem to do what's good for post-lockout teams though; the draft.