Thread: USA Today has started a summer series on the American Football League

Schluberator & Gadfly

USA Today has started a summer series on the American Football League

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-06-14-sw-afl-cover_N.htm[/url]

If you don't know "our" history, start reading. You'll have new found respect for "Uncle Al". :)
    Last edited by chesapeakejet; 06-18-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Bump!

[b]THIS IS REQUIRED SUMMER READING PEOPLE!!!![/b]

Schluberator & Gadfly
    bump

All Pro
    the AFL sucks

idk why they think they can compete with the NFL

XFL was cool.. of the extra violence entailed; nicknames.. but the MVP would leave the league to go sit on the bench in the NFL behind brad johnson

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Mikey Z 6;3161659]the AFL sucks

XFL was cool.. of the extra violence entailed; nicknames.. but the MVP would leave the league to go sit on the bench in the NFL behind brad johnson[/QUOTE]

Not Arena League, genius. :rolleyes:

The old AFL, that got merged with the NFL in the late 60's. You know, the league the Jets started out in?

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;3161663]Not Arena League, genius. :rolleyes:

The old AFL, that got merged with the NFL in the late 60's. You know, the league the Jets started out in?[/QUOTE]

lol!

Great article Ches...

I've only had the opportunity to live off stories from family, watch the highlights and read the articles but this must have been a great time to be a fan, up close and personal...

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;3161668]lol!

Great article Ches...

I've only had the opportunity to live off stories from family, watch the highlights and read the articles but this must have been a great time to be a fan, up close and personal...[/QUOTE]

Check this out from your local library. It's a good read. When they first started out, they were livin' from payroll to payroll and until the TV money arrived, they had to do some creative financing to keep the money going. :yes:

[IMG]http://www.conigliofamily.com/images/GoingLongCover785h.jpg[/IMG]

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=Mikey Z 6;3161659]the AFL sucks

XFL was cool.. of the extra violence entailed; nicknames.. but the MVP would leave the league to go sit on the bench in the NFL behind brad johnson[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: rookies.

Veteran
    That was a great read, thanks for posting!

Is it a summer series though? How do I subscribe to get new articles? I bookmarked this page.

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3162285]Check this out from your local library. It's a good read. When they first started out, they were livin' from payroll to payroll and until the TV money arrived, they had to do some creative financing to keep the money going. :yes:

[IMG]http://www.conigliofamily.com/images/GoingLongCover785h.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Good stuff, when I was looking it up, I also came across 'The Foolish Club' detailing the owners at the time...

Anyone read it?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Here's the next installment. Apparently they're going to cover each franchise. Here's the Boston Patriots.

[url]http://www.remembertheafl.com/PatriotsFacts.html#USATodayBostonPatriots[/url]

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Here is another installment:

The Miami Dolphins.

[url]http://www.remembertheafl.com/DolphinsFacts.html#USATodayMiamiDolphins[/url]

:yes:

[quote]Shula isn't real crazy about talking about it. "Well, I mean, we were the first team to lose it," he says. "Green Bay took care of business in the first two, but we didn't.

"But you've got to give the Jets credit," Shula says. "That was a great, great win for them and a great win for the other league."[/quote]