Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Dodgers continue to roll

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Dodgers continue to roll

    First off I'll say that I am aware this is a New York message board and the vast majority could care less about the Dodgers, but this is the baseball forum and there are some Dodgers fans around here so I'm starting a thread to talk about our team.

    With the Ramirez suspension drawing to an end shortly, I will admit I did not think the Dodgers could play as well as they have without him. They were 21-8 with him and have went 24-16 without him.

    Chad Billingsley has become a legitimate front line starter and a dark horse Cy Young canidate. Broxton has proved to be one of the best closers in the game this year, and they have had a few pleasant suprises out of the pen in Troncoso and Bellesario.

    Juan Pierre has been nothing short of outstanding in Manny's absence and Matt Kemp is superstar in the making. He won't get voted in or selected by the manager as an All-Star, but his numbers along with his gold glove caliber play in CF, you could make a legit argument that he is worthy this year.

    The questions I have for other Dodgers fans, or anyone for that matter, is what are your biggest concerns with the Blue Crew? My biggest worry is that they may still be an arm(or 2) away in the bullpen for me to be complety comfortable with that situation. My second concern is if Furcal and Martin will get there bats going at some point, because both have been very disappointing to this point.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    First off I'll say that I am aware this is a New York message board and the vast majority could care less about the Dodgers, but this is the baseball forum and there are some Dodgers fans around here so I'm starting a thread to talk about our team.

    With the Ramirez suspension drawing to an end shortly, I will admit I did not think the Dodgers could play as well as they have without him. They were 21-8 with him and have went 24-16 without him.

    Chad Billingsley has become a legitimate front line starter and a dark horse Cy Young canidate. Broxton has proved to be one of the best closers in the game this year, and they have had a few pleasant suprises out of the pen in Troncoso and Bellesario.

    Juan Pierre has been nothing short of outstanding in Manny's absence and Matt Kemp is superstar in the making. He won't get voted in or selected by the manager as an All-Star, but his numbers along with his gold glove caliber play in CF, you could make a legit argument that he is worthy this year.

    The questions I have for other Dodgers fans, or anyone for that matter, is what are your biggest concerns with the Blue Crew? My biggest worry is that they may still be an arm(or 2) away in the bullpen for me to be complety comfortable with that situation. My second concern is if Furcal and Martin will get there bats going at some point, because both have been very disappointing to this point.
    All I know is this, the Dodgers are a solid team here in 2009. I've only seen them play about 4 or 5 times this year and from what I've seen from the Dodgers, they don't make many defensive mistakes and they actually do a fine job at moving runners over (From what I've seen this year)

    I think Joe Torri deserves alot of credit for the way this team has been playing...Nothing short of solid.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lindenhurst NY
    Posts
    1,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there the best team in the NL

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    I think there the best team in the NL
    +1

    This is before they get Manny back.

    That team is absolutely loaded with young talent.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,953
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    All I know is this, the Dodgers are a solid team here in 2009. I've only seen them play about 4 or 5 times this year and from what I've seen from the Dodgers, they don't make many defensive mistakes and they actually do a fine job at moving runners over (From what I've seen this year)

    I think Joe Torri deserves alot of credit for the way this team has been playing...Nothing short of solid.
    Who?






    Anyway...

    The Dodgers have shown what a 'team' can do this year...

    I miss it

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great outing by Kershaw tonight.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Dodgers are fun to watch this season. They lose their best player and continue ticking along. Young guys who are all playing great right now. Their pitching is also pretty stellar.

    Plus, I still have a soft spot for Joe Torre and kind of wish he wish in the Bronx. I like seeing him do well.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who's the odd man out once Manny comes back to the team and takes over LF? Whats going to happen with Juan Pierre once Manny comes back? He's batting .337 as of right now, he's a really solid left fielder, he also has 17 stolen bases on the year- He reminds me of a Carl Crawford type of player.

    Any chance Juan Pierre could start splitting starts with Andre Ethier our in right field? With a situation like this, if only the Dodgers had a DH out in the National league because Manny would make for the perfect DH at the age of 37.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Juan Pierre sucks, and its very nice of him to be useful when they need him.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    Juan Pierre sucks, and its very nice of him to be useful when they need him.
    I guess it's true...You only know and care about pitching because Juan Pierre is a solid ball player, he does alot of different things that can help a club win some games.

    He can hit for average (Career .300 hitter)

    He's can steal base (446 career stolen bases)

    Juan Pierre also plays an exceptional outfield and covers alot of ground out there.

    Just the fact that you would say something like "Juan Pierre sucks" shows how much you really know about the game of baseball.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Juan Pierre is an OF with a career .721 OPS, absolutely no power, he plays meh at best defense, and he gets caught stealing 1 in every 4 attempts.

    The guy is baalllls...the Dodgers should consider themselves lucky he's being somewhat useful with a batting average and OBP he's never touched and never will again.

    He's only useful at all because the idiot GM gave him 40+ million and he happens to be fast and hard to K. And he doesn't even use his speed to play good D. He also throws like a girl.
    Last edited by Chica me Tipo; 06-22-2009 at 01:23 PM.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Dodgers concerns should be clear as day...

    - They play in a division with 4 awful baseball teams and not one team resembling a decent threat to them. Their record is EXTREMELY inflated because of this, they're 26-10 (.722) in divisional games, 20-14 (.588) out of division. Still a decent out of division record, but I fully expect them to be exposed in October as the frauds they are.

    - Their roster is full of quite a few poor/mediocre veteran players extremely outperforming their career norms. Juan Pierre (.337 AVG/.825 OPS), Casey Blake (.885 OPS), Randy Wolf (3.29 ERA), Eric Milton (2.89 ERA), Jeff Weaver (3.71 ERA), ect. Compare these to their career numbers and tell me that they can keep this up. Although, this could be due to the fact that they play in an awful division.

    (To be fair though, Martin and Furcal have to rebound some, right?)

    - Their bullpen, in typical Torre fashion, is probably the highest worked bullpen in the league. Belisario is on pace for 83 games and 97 IP, Troncoso for 74 games and 104 IP. If you don't get these guys some help, they WILL wear out.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    The Dodgers concerns should be clear as day...

    - They play in a division with 4 awful baseball teams and not one team resembling a decent threat to them. Their record is EXTREMELY inflated because of this, they're 26-10 (.722) in divisional games, 20-14 (.588) out of division. Still a decent out of division record, but I fully expect them to be exposed in October as the frauds they are.

    - Their roster is full of quite a few poor/mediocre veteran players extremely outperforming their career norms. Juan Pierre (.337 AVG/.825 OPS), Casey Blake (.885 OPS), Randy Wolf (3.29 ERA), Eric Milton (2.89 ERA), Jeff Weaver (3.71 ERA), ect. Compare these to their career numbers and tell me that they can keep this up. Although, this could be due to the fact that they play in an awful division.

    (To be fair though, Martin and Furcal have to rebound some, right?)

    - Their bullpen, in typical Torre fashion, is probably the highest worked bullpen in the league. Belisario is on pace for 83 games and 97 IP, Troncoso for 74 games and 104 IP. If you don't get these guys some help, they WILL wear out.
    Wow...He just tore the Dodgers a new one with that post. Now thinking about it, being a fan of a team in the AL East...It's clear that the Dodgers are not even close to being "battle tested" here in 2009 and once the playoffs start, that could be a problem but who knows

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Torre loses Manny for 60 Games and his team still has the best record in baseball

    Good thing we unloaded that washed up old man
    Thats just the man up stairs being a greedy piece of you know what. And no, I'm not talking about god...I'm talking about that amazing man...George Steinbrenner who wanted Joe outta town for no reason, other than being greedy and unloyal.

    If anyone should have became the next manager of the Yankees...It should have been Don Mattingly---Not the "other Joe"

  15. #15
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    The Dodgers concerns should be clear as day...

    - They play in a division with 4 awful baseball teams and not one team resembling a decent threat to them. Their record is EXTREMELY inflated because of this, they're 26-10 (.722) in divisional games, 20-14 (.588) out of division. Still a decent out of division record, but I fully expect them to be exposed in October as the frauds they are.
    That just tells me they're winnig the games they're supposed to win. They didn't make their schedule. However, I disagree with the "4 awful teams." SF and Colorado are not awful. Colorado has won 16 of it's last 17 games. And 12 of those wins came against .500+ teams. How is that awful?

    SF has one of the best starting pitching staffs in MLB which will keep them in almost every game.

    You fail to mention that, regardless of their division (which happens to have 3 teams over .500), the Dodgers have A 27-14 record against teams with a record of over .500. They lay an egg every now and then but this is a very tough lineup with some solid starters. Remember, they're the only team in baseball which has yet to lose 3 in a row (knocking on wood - no homo).

    - Their roster is full of quite a few poor/mediocre veteran players extremely outperforming their career norms. Juan Pierre (.337 AVG/.825 OPS), Casey Blake (.885 OPS), Randy Wolf (3.29 ERA), Eric Milton (2.89 ERA), Jeff Weaver (3.71 ERA), ect. Compare these to their career numbers and tell me that they can keep this up. Although, this could be due to the fact that they play in an awful division.

    (To be fair though, Martin and Furcal have to rebound some, right?)
    Pierre, Blake and Wolf have been poor to mediocre vets? Blake is an excellent compliment to the younger starters and is a leader in the clubhouse. He may not keep his numbers up all season long but the strength of this team is their balance in the lineup. When 1 or 2 guys are slumping, there's 6 or 7 other guys to pick them up. This is one of the toughest lineups to get out in all of baseball and will be even tougher when Manny comes back. I think people were expecting the Dodgers to fold up during his absence but they've done quite the opposite. I'm not a huge Pierre fan, especially with no arm playing left field, but he's far from mediocre. He's always hit for average. I wouldn't be surprised though to see the Dodgers try to move him near the deadline for some more pitching. Wolf is a very good pitcher when healthy and he's been healthy so far.

    - Their bullpen, in typical Torre fashion, is probably the highest worked bullpen in the league. Belisario is on pace for 83 games and 97 IP, Troncoso for 74 games and 104 IP. If you don't get these guys some help, they WILL wear out.
    I agree that this is their one Achilles Heel right now. I'm still baffled as to why they let Beimel go. I was always a fan. Wade has been disappointing so far and MacDonald didn't answer the bell early on. If Wade can get his mojo back and Mota can continue to pitch well enough to gain back some of Torre's confidence, the bullpen will be OK. BTW, Brent Leach has been a nice surprise.
    Last edited by Jordy; 06-22-2009 at 06:15 PM.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    The Dodgers concerns should be clear as day...

    - They play in a division with 4 awful baseball teams and not one team resembling a decent threat to them. Their record is EXTREMELY inflated because of this, they're 26-10 (.722) in divisional games, 20-14 (.588) out of division. Still a decent out of division record, but I fully expect them to be exposed in October as the frauds they are.

    - Their roster is full of quite a few poor/mediocre veteran players extremely outperforming their career norms. Juan Pierre (.337 AVG/.825 OPS), Casey Blake (.885 OPS), Randy Wolf (3.29 ERA), Eric Milton (2.89 ERA), Jeff Weaver (3.71 ERA), ect. Compare these to their career numbers and tell me that they can keep this up. Although, this could be due to the fact that they play in an awful division.

    (To be fair though, Martin and Furcal have to rebound some, right?)





    - Their bullpen, in typical Torre fashion, is probably the highest worked bullpen in the league. Belisario is on pace for 83 games and 97 IP, Troncoso for 74 games and 104 IP. If you don't get these guys some help, they WILL wear out.

    It wouldn't appear those 4 awful teams aren't as awful as you make them out to be. The west as an entire division has records as follows
    vs central 35-33
    vs east 35-29
    interleague 27-24

    Seems like the entire division plays pretty well outside the division.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    It wouldn't appear those 4 awful teams aren't as awful as you make them out to be. The west as an entire division has records as follows
    vs central 35-33
    vs east 35-29
    interleague 27-24

    Seems like the entire division plays pretty well outside the division.
    What is the AL East record against other divisons? Just wondering

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That just tells me they're winnig the games they're supposed to win. They didn't make their schedule. However, I disagree with the "4 awful teams." SF and Colorado are not awful. Colorado has won 16 of it's last 17 games. And 12 of those wins came against .500+ teams. How is that awful?

    SF has one of the best starting pitching staffs in MLB which will keep them in almost every game.
    Cmon man, are you really trying to argue that the San Francisco Giants and the Colorado Rockies are good teams? They're not. San Francisco is ranked 28th in Runs Scored, Colorado is ranked 22nd in Pitching (And probably wouldn't be so good Offensively either if it wasn't for Coors). They each have pretty significant flaws.

    I don't care what their records are, that's as much a product of getting to play such powerhouses like each other, Arizona, and San Diego as anything else.

    Pierre, Blake and Wolf have been poor to mediocre vets? Blake is an excellent compliment to the younger starters and is a leader in the clubhouse.
    Leaning more towards mediocre then poor, but yeah. (Poor was aimed towards Milton and Weaver). Pierre is a slap hitter with no power, a mediocre OBP due to never walking, and below-average on Defense because of a piss poor arm. Blake is a decent, but not great bat, who is a bit of a liability with the glove. Randy Wolf is a 93-80 Pitcher with a Career 4.20 ERA, Can you say average?

    He may not keep his numbers up all season long but the strength of this team is their balance in the lineup. When 1 or 2 guys are slumping, there's 6 or 7 other guys to pick them up. This is one of the toughest lineups to get out in all of baseball and will be even tougher when Manny comes back.
    Outside of Manny, Matt Kemp is their only hitter I like to continue to be significantly above average on that team. Russell Martin had a stretch where he was that player, but seems to have regressed, I'm not buying that Casey Blake or Juan Pierre is for real this season. I guess there's something to having 6-7 average (or slightly above average) players and no blatant black holes in the lineup, but lets not make this out to be an all-time great lineup. It's not.

    I think people were expecting the Dodgers to fold up during his absence but they've done quite the opposite. I'm not a huge Pierre fan, especially with no arm playing left field, but he's far from mediocre. He's always hit for average. I wouldn't be surprised though to see the Dodgers try to move him near the deadline for some more pitching. Wolf is a very good pitcher when healthy and he's been healthy so far.
    I pretty much expected what they did, not as well as they did with Manny, but more then enough to keep a huge lead in that god-awful division.

    I agree that this is their one Achilles Heel right now. I'm still baffled as to why they let Beimel go. I was always a fan. Wade has been disappointing so far and MacDonald didn't answer the bell early on. If Wade can get his mojo back and Mota can continue to pitch well enough to gain back some of Torre's confidence, the bullpen will be OK. BTW, Brent Leach has been a nice surprise.
    Word of advice, cut Mota before he ruins your season

    Been there, done that.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,537
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a semi-related note, how does somebody in Iowa root for the Jets and Dodgers

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Back Home!
    Posts
    8,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    On a semi-related note, how does somebody in Iowa root for the Jets and Dodgers
    I'm pretty sure he lived in the tri-state area, then moved out to Iowa.

    I lived in Iowa as a Mets, Jets, and Knicks fan.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us