Thread: Trade Rumor NY Rangers

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Rumor NY Rangers

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Murrays asking price

From the Rangers

D Marc Staal, C Brandon Dubinsky and/or RW Ryan Callahan. GM Sather — who’s trying to dump salary — is planning to take another run at the Senators after Friday night's failed talks.
    The rumour you posted has been kicking for a while. We'd essentially be trading Heatley for an unsure 1st round draft pick... lol. Sign Zherdev to a 5 year 3.5 cap hit and I'm all for it though. No way Murray even pretends to joke about taking another Dman, much less an over paid one. If Heatley is a Senator past July 1st, Murray has made it clear that anything less than a total fleecing by us will make Heater remain a Sen for the season.. I hope this crap gets resolved soon though. I'd rather him gone for a few picks and prospects to clear some cap if we can't get a few players to round our top 6.

Only 1 guy has scored more goals than Heatley since the lock-out, I think we're going to sit on him until Murray is wow'd. I know it wont be star-for-star a la our acquisition of him, but no way we're taking salary back unless it's in a top 6 position we can justify.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7 View Post
    Murrays asking price

The rumour you posted has been kicking for a while. We'd essentially be trading Heatley for an unsure 1st round draft pick... lol. Sign Zherdev to a 5 year 3.5 cap hit and I'm all for it though. No way Murray even pretends to joke about taking another Dman, much less an over paid one. If Heatley is a Senator past July 1st, Murray has made it clear that anything less than a total fleecing by us will make Heater remain a Sen for the season.. I hope this crap gets resolved soon though. I'd rather him gone for a few picks and prospects to clear some cap if we can't get a few players to round our top 6.

Only 1 guy has scored more goals than Heatley since the lock-out, I think we're going to sit on him until Murray is wow'd. I know it wont be star-for-star a la our acquisition of him, but no way we're taking salary back unless it's in a top 6 position we can justify.
    If Heatley is a Senator after July 1st, they will be paying him $14M to play next season. I can't imagine they will let that happen.

And that Rangers rumor appears to have been before the draft. Not since.

I know Sather has turned down a deal that would have included Staal and Dubinsky.

By the way, trading Staal, Dubinsky or Callahan is not "dumping salary."
    Last edited by Jordy; 06-28-2009 at 02:32 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    If Heatley is a Senator after July 1st, they will be paying him $14M to play next season. I can't imagine they will let that happen.
    No, he will make 8 million, 4 upfront on July 1st, and the other 4 spread out through the season.. The 2nd best goal scorer in the NHL for $4mm a season is going to make people very sore that they didn't do everything in their power to land him before when he was the $8mm a season 50 goal scorer.

And that Rangers rumor appears to have been before the draft. Not since.
    What?

I know Sather has turned down a deal that would have included Staal and Dubinsky.
    You've heard*. I doubt it, though. No way did Murray ask for Staal after picking Cowen, we have bluechip defensive prospects in 4 (counting Lee) of our 6 defensive slots + Phillips, Volchenkov, Kuba, Picard, Campoli, Smith and Schubert. We have enough extra defencemen to start a new team comprised solely of them.

By the way, trading Staal, Dubinsky or Callahan is not "dumping salary."
    Who said it was?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, he will make 8 million, 4 upfront on July 1st, and the other 4 spread out through the season.. The 2nd best goal scorer in the NHL for $4mm a season is going to make people very sore that they didn't do everything in their power to land him before when he was the $8mm a season 50 goal scorer.
    I was going to come back and amend this to $12M but forgot. I thought I read somewhere that the $4M was a "bonus" to be paid in addition to his regular salary this season. Sorry if I'm wrong.

What?
    The rumored trade that was mentioned talked about the Rangers giving the Sens their 1st round pick (#19). Therefore, the rumor must have been prior to the draft.

You've heard*. I doubt it, though. No way did Murray ask for Staal after picking Cowen, we have bluechip defensive prospects in 4 (counting Lee) of our 6 defensive slots + Phillips, Volchenkov, Kuba, Picard, Campoli, Smith and Schubert. We have enough extra defencemen to start a new team comprised solely of them
    I'll ignore the arrogance factor and respond that yes I heard. And since it appears that the rumor started before the draft, the draft pick doesn't discount the inclusion of Staal in the proposed deal. And if you think that all of your top 4 Dmen are better than Marc Staal and/or have his upside, you're delusional.

Who said it was?
    You obviously don't even read the links you post.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I was going to come back and amend this to $12M but forgot. I thought I read somewhere that the $4M was a "bonus" to be paid in addition to his regular salary this season. Sorry if I'm wrong.
    It actually is just $8mm this season, $4mm on july 1st is paid upfront, and then the other 4 is divided amongst the season.. It has been poorly reported that the $4mm is a bonus by none other than Big Bruce, and other people basically just ran with that. There's still quite a few Sens fans thinking it's a bonus too, as it sounded that way with the reports.

The rumored trade that was mentioned talked about the Rangers giving the Sens their 1st round pick (#19). Therefore, the rumor must have been prior to the draft.
    It's a tough call, could have happened any time before their pick. It's nothing more than hearsay, but word has it L.A. rescinded their offer about 15 minutes before the draft, that could have been a big influence. Then again, we have no way of knowing.

I'll ignore the arrogance factor and respond that yes I heard. And since it appears that the rumor started before the draft, the draft pick doesn't discount the inclusion of Staal in the proposed deal. And if you think that all of your top 4 Dmen are better than Marc Staal and/or have his upside, you're delusional.
    I wasn't trying to be arrogant, dude. Sorry if you took it that way, it wasn't my intention. I'm just trying to separate hearsay from fact, because very little is known about this thing beyond Murray playing hardball.

I'm absolutely not insinuating that all of them have more upside than Staal, I'd say only Karlsson has the set-in-stone potential to rival Staal. I'm simply suggesting that our high number of Dmen would make it a little bit ludicrous because we have a slowly growing solid pool there, and our forward depth is not only lacking, but about to lose a 50 goal scorer. It's more than apparent to me that we don't currently have any defenceman as well rounded on our roster as Staal is. So yeah, didn't mean it like that at all. Just saying that I think Murray is done acquiring Dmen unless he can package one in himself - Not that I wouldn't like a guy like Staal.

You obviously don't even read the links you post.
    Sure I do, I just don't make out every little detail like it's a solid corner-stone of an idea. I don't care what the **** Sather does with your salary, just what he has to offer to Murray for Heatley. Perhaps one could infer than he's looking to dump salary elsewhere to make this trade possible. Who knows?

Anyways, wasn't looking to argue or be a dick this morning, just had 4 hours of sleep and my brain isn't firing on all cylinders. Sorry if you took anything the wrong way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps one could infer than he's looking to dump salary elsewhere to make this trade possible. Who knows?
    Hmm