Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Girardi- Hughes is a "full-fledged reliever"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Girardi- Hughes is a "full-fledged reliever"

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Girardi just said that Hughes is a “full-fledged reliever” who can be used in any sutuation.
    Prediction: When the Yankees put Hughes back in the rotation next year Mike Francesa will b*tch and moan.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    If we're gonna keep Hughes in the pen this year, with all due respect to Bruney, I think we should make him the bridge to Mariano in the 8th ... and let Cook, Bruney and Aceves be those bridges to Hughes in the 8th

Just to be clear ....

Not that Bruney has done anything wrong, HE HASN'T, I just think Hughes has the bigger upside as the set-up man
    Coke*

I wouldn't mind it, but Bruney deserves the 8th inning until he proves otherwise, besides the Yankees may want to use Hughes for 2 innings a lot. Say the 6th and 7th in a 2-1 game.

I like our bullpen a lot right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    will he be moved into the rotation and Joba moved into the bullpen in September if Joba is at his innings pitched?

makes the bullpen a lot better. could use 1 more guy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Coke*

I wouldn't mind it, but Bruney deserves the 8th inning until he proves otherwise, besides the Yankees may want to use Hughes for 2 innings a lot. Say the 6th and 7th in a 2-1 game.

I'd like it a lot better with Wang out there and Hughes starting

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    will he be moved into the rotation and Joba moved into the bullpen in September if Joba is at his innings pitched?

makes the bullpen a lot better. could use 1 more guy
    If Hughes is used in 1 or 2 innings at a time the rest of the summer, unless there is an injury, there is a 0% chance he returns to the rotation in 2009. He would have to be stretched out all over again, and obviously that isn't good for his arm.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I'd like it a lot better with Wang out there and Hughes starting
    Wang isn't suited for the bullpen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wang isn't suited for the bullpen.
    He was fine when he was 'rehabbing'?

He throws a sinker that is either going to get down or hang for the entire game...

At least if he's in the pen, you can yank him without dire consequence...

Hughes has far better 'stuff' and belongs in the rotation...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    He was fine when he was 'rehabbing'?

He throws a sinker that is either going to get down or hang for the entire game...

At least if he's in the pen, you can yank him without dire consequence...

Hughes has far better 'stuff' and belongs in the rotation...
    Wang doesn't have the moxy to pitch in high pressure innings out of the pen. And sinker ballers, as you know, are inconsistent, that obviously won't bode well in the pen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wang doesn't have the moxy to pitch in high pressure innings out of the pen. And sinker ballers, as you know, are inconsistent, that obviously won't bode well in the pen.
    We see the pitchers the same way obviously, just two different view points for their success...

I think Wang proved he can pitch in a limited role in the bullpen... Hughes will be in the starting rotation regardless come next season, so no biggie...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Hughes is used in 1 or 2 innings at a time the rest of the summer, unless there is an injury, there is a 0% chance he returns to the rotation in 2009. He would have to be stretched out all over again, and obviously that isn't good for his arm.
    he'll be fine. he would have no problem going back to rotation next year.pitchers have been doing it since Abner Doubleday.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    he'll be fine. he would have no problem going back to rotation next year.pitchers have been doing it since Abner Doubleday.
    Yeah, next year... not this season though

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty good read Ham...

I thought it was funny too, that we signed Cone the year Mo set the course for his illustrious career and here we are with CC...

And Pettitte is still around

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coke*

Bruney has already proven he isnt a consistant set up man. He almost blew Sundays game against the Mets the Yankees had to use Rivera for 4 outs because Bruney couldnt be trusted to finish the Job. Hughes is the best guy in the pen under Rivera he deserves a chance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    Bruney has already proven he isnt a consistant set up man. He almost blew Sundays game against the Mets the Yankees had to use Rivera for 4 outs because Bruney couldnt be trusted to finish the Job. Hughes is the best guy in the pen under Rivera he deserves a chance.

Aceves says hi.

Honestly our bull pen isn't bad right now, we could use a dominant SU man. But we have some really good pitchers, Aceves has been lights out this year pretty much. Phil Coke has been lights out lately, has a 0.76 ERA for the month of June, for 12 innings. Hes showing the potential right now.
    Robertson is solid and strikes guys out. Hughes is lights out in the pen with his 96 FB and nice curveball. Bruney on good days is lights out, with flithy stuff. And Mo is Mo.

It will be interesting to see what move we make.
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 06-30-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    1 outing and he already can't be trusted? an outing he never gave up a hit in. You kidding me? It was the first time he's pitched back to back games since coming back from his injury. The guy has a 2.84 ERA with a WHIP below 1 and has struck out 16 hitters in 12 innings.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-30-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I'm gonna agree with Ham and say that Hughes >>> Bruney.

Better control and better all around stuff.

I had no idea Bruney was so overrated around here, though maybe I underrate him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BUMP

Hughes has found his role.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the flexibility to bring Hughes in for multiple innings...as he is right now.