Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers traded Gomez to Montreal

Rangers traded Gomez to Montreal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4298053

Looks like a salary dump to either trade for Heatly or sign some big contracts tomorrow.

As a Devils fan I am hoping Lou is taking notice that the Flyers and Rangers are making moves to get better...

Jets Insider VIP
    Boca Raton, FL / Surrendered my PSL's biatches
    Great move. Gomez has been horrible.

that washington series was the final straw...need goal scorers...

All League
    I hope this means what I think it does..

Jets Insider VIP
    Yikes. I sure didn't see that one coming.

Not a great deal value wise for the Rangers IMO. Primarily a cap move.

Higgins is a good solid player. Former top 15 pick. Long Island native.

What I don't understand is why Sather accepted more defensive prospects in return. McDonagh's a good prospect, #12 overall 2 years ago. I know nothing about Valentenko. But the Rangers have more prospects on D than they know what to do with. Trade chips possibly. But I'd rather have seen some winger prospects coming back.

I liked Gomez. I know he was overpaid but he brought an element to the team that will be hard to replace - a fast puck carrying center who can, when he's healthy, penetrate the blueline. I have a feeling Gomez will rediscover himself in Montreal.
    Last edited by Jordy; 06-30-2009 at 07:23 PM.

what a great day.

Opened cap space. Got Higgins and one of Montreal's top prospects.

Sather tells Gainey: I stick it in you.

http://www.teddykgb.org/soundboard/

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7 View Post
    I hope this means what I think it does..
    What's that? The Rangers signing Gaborik?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Yikes. I sure didn't see that one coming.

Not a great deal value wise for the Rangers IMO. Primarily a cap move.

Higgins is a good solid player. Former top 15 pick. Long Island native.

What I don't understand is why Sather accepted more defensive prospects in return. McDonagh's a good prospect, #12 overall 2 years ago. I know nothing about Valentenko. But the Rangers have more prospects on D than they know what to do with. Trade chips possibly. But I'd rather have seen some winger prospects coming back.

I liked Gomez. I know he was overpaid but he brought an element to the team that will be hard to replace - a fast puck carrying center who can, when he's healthy, penetrate the blueline. I have a feeling Gomez will rediscover himself in Montreal.
    this is an unbelievable deal. The Rangers just gained major cap relief which opens up the door for other moves.

I couldn't stand Gomez. Yes, he could gain the blue-line like no other. The only problem is that he would turn it over with that limp wrist shot and his remarkable under 6% shooting percentage.

He was a decent player, but the contract was awful. Sather pulled a rabbit out of the hat today. No one thought that he could trade Gomez without sweetening the deal with some prospects.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    What's that? The Rangers signing Gaborik?
    I thought you guys learned your lesson from Bure.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE View Post
    this is an unbelievable deal. The Rangers just gained major cap relief which opens up the door for other moves.

I couldn't stand Gomez. Yes, he could gain the blue-line like no other. The only problem is that he would turn it over with that limp wrist shot and his remarkable under 6% shooting percentage.

He was a decent player, but the contract was awful. Sather pulled a rabbit out of the hat today. No one thought that he could trade Gomez without sweetening the deal with some prospects.
    Pulling a rabbit out of his hat would have been trading Redden and Rozsival.

At least we got some production and speed out of Gomez.

All League
    Gomez is a classy guy who always worked hard. It just didn't net enough results.
    Looks like a Slats made as good a deal as he could.
    I wish Gomez luck. His post game chats with John Giannone will be missed. They were funny.

Getting the cap relief alone for Gomez was a great deal, getting a couple decent pieces as well is just a flat out win on Sather's part. Now they need to pry away Heatley (While keeping Staal), Gaborik is too injury prone to be the player the Rangers need. I liked Gomez, he's a nice player, the problem is he wasn't a 7 million player.

(Oh, and if you can unload any of the other big contracts minus Henrik, that's cool too).
    Last edited by Ven0m; 06-30-2009 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE View Post

Be careful what you wish for. Sather with cap space is like a recovering alcoholic being relaesed from rehab and being dropped off on the strip in vegas. As good as he is in trades, hes that much worse when he has money to spend. i thought Gomez would have been the perfect compliment for heatley and I think Gomez was great in MTL. The rangers never gave him a chance in their system, which is a product of Sather just throwing square pegs at round holes and hoping theyd stick.

Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. Sather with cap space is like a recovering alcoholic being relaesed from rehab and being dropped off on the strip in vegas. As good as he is in trades, hes that much worse when he has money to spend. i thought Gomez would have been the perfect compliment for heatley and I think Gomez was great in MTL. The rangers never gave him a chance in their system, which is a product of Sather just throwing square pegs at round holes and hoping theyd stick.
    Can't screw up as badly as last time, right? RIGHT?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Now they need to pry away Heatley (While keeping Staal), Gaborik is too injury prone to be the player the Rangers need.
    Sather has already told Murray that Staal isn't up for grabs, so don't fret over that.. Callahan is also not available.

Speculation is Zherdev or Dubinsky and a high pick, or both and a pick. If the deal isn't done by midnight, no way Heater can be had without doubling that package or taking back one of our bad contracts.. so hopefully something can be done sooner than later.

It would almost take a fool to sign Gaborik right now, and Hossa just finished his disappearing act pt. 2. Go for the 2nd best scorer in hockey while the cost is lower.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Not sounding so good for the Rangers after reading this....I think Sather might be overplaying his hand here.

Veteran
    please sather no more eil players! i thought he would learn his lesson from holik. sather just say no to madden!

Banned
    Rangers suck.

1 Cup in 70 in years = Suckitude

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Rangers suck.

1 Cup in 70 in years = Suckitude
    Funny that this is coming from a Jets fan

Good move for the Rangers IMO. You get some nice prospects in return, possibly trade chips, on top of the most important part of the trade: cap relief. I know Sather isn't the most popular guy around here, so you just have to wait and see what his next move is.