Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official NHL Free Agent Signings Thread - 2009**

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    That would be awful, didn't we already fill our enforcer quota with Brashear?

It is puzzling. I've always liked Neil and proposed going after him 2 years ago. I can't imagine having Avery, Neil and Brashear. Unless Sather is going for the All-Abrasive Team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Brashear is simply more talented then Orr, and is one of those types that you hate him when he's on the other team, but like him when he's on your team. Probably a bit overpaid, but that's NHL Free Agency for you....it's not terrible.
    No way.

He may be a better 2 way player than Orr but he absolutely is a horrible person.

Scott Stevens was a guy you hated besides when he was on your team. Even Avery.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    It is puzzling. I've always liked Neil and proposed going after him 2 years ago. I can't imagine having Avery, Neil and Brashear. Unless Sather is going for the All-Abrasive Team.
    Neil-Boyle-Brashear

He wants the 4th line to just go out there and beat the **** out of people to counteract the lack of goal scoring.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The difference, in a good way IMO, is that Neil can play a full shift, while still throwing his weight around. He's not one of those guys that gets thrown out there for 3 minutes a game, and wastes a roster spot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Neil-Boyle-Brashear

He wants the 4th line to just go out there and beat the **** out of people to counteract the lack of goal scoring.
    Forgot about Boyle. Yikes. That would be like the Hanson Brothers Part 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Neil-Boyle-Brashear

I've never found lines like that to be all that effective, they're always on the wrong side of the Ice because you don't have any puck-handlers in there that can even pose a threat Offensively.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Rupp to Pittsburgh.

Hal Gil to Montreal. (2/4.5M ). Not sure he's worth that much.
    That's alot for Gill....I liked him very much in Pitt, sad to see him go....but that's alot more than I expected him to go for.

Can't say I know alot about Mike Rupp....perhaps some Devils fans can fill me in.

Word now is Rupp was brought in as a replacement for fighter/enforcer Eric Godard, who is rumored to be being packaged along with Pascal Dupuis to Calgary for Curtis Glencross....just a rumor though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    That's alot for Gill....I liked him very much in Pitt, sad to see him go....but that's alot more than I expected him to go for.

Can't say I know alot about Mike Rupp....perhaps some Devils fans can fill me in.

Word now is Rupp was brought in as a replacement for fighter/enforcer Eric Godard, who is rumored to be being packaged along with Pascal Dupuis to Calgary for Curtis Glencross....just a rumor though.
    Rupp is a nice player. Nothing more than a 4th line enforcer. Physical player who definitely is willing to drop the gloves. Very big body (6'5, 230) that's hard to move off the puck. For the price, I would say it's a quality signing, but nothing to get excited about. Not really much else to say about him unless some others Devs fans have to something to add. I've always had a soft spot for him because of his game-winning goal in Game 7 of the '03 Cup Finals against the Ducks.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 07-01-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Rupp is a nice player. Nothing more than a 4th line enforcer. Physical player who definitely is willing to drop the gloves. Very big body (6'5, 230) that's hard to move off the puck. For the price, I would say it's a quality signing, but nothing to get excited about. Not really much else to say about him unless some others Devs fans have to something to add. I've always had a soft spot for him because of his game-winning goal in Game 7 of the '03 Cup Finals against the Ducks.
    Thanks for the info. Big 4th line grinder/enforcer type is what I thought he was....and not bad for the price either.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Sammy Pahlsson signs with Columbus for 3/$7.95.

The guy has never had 30 points in any season or more than 11 goals.

Mind boggling.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Sullivan re-ups with Nashville for 2 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Former Minnesota Wild winger Marian Gaborik has agreed to a five-year contract with the New York Rangers.

The Slovakian forward will earn $7.5 million per year.

Gaborik played his entire seven-year career with the Wild, scoring 219 goals and 437 points in 502 games. Injuries limited Gaborik to just 13 goals and 23 points in 17 games this season. Gaborik set career highs in goals (42), assists (41) and points (83) in 77 games during the 2007-2008 campaign.

The 27-year-old was Minnesota's first pick (third overall) at the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283470

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Former Minnesota Wild winger Marian Gaborik has agreed to a five-year contract with the New York Rangers.

Gaborik played his entire seven-year career with the Wild, scoring 219 goals and 437 points in 502 games. Injuries limited Gaborik to just 13 goals and 23 points in 17 games this season. Gaborik set career highs in goals (42), assists (41) and points (83) in 77 games during the 2007-2008 campaign.

The 27-year-old was Minnesota's first pick (third overall) at the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

I kinda figured the Rangers would get him....if healthy this is a big signing for the Rangers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If health, he's exactly what they need. He isn't healthy though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big day for my Habs...!

Now Gionta!

Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Gill, Spacek...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This Sucks!!!

After playing his entire seven year career in New Jersey, Brian Gionta is on the move having signed a five-year, $25 million deal with the Montreal Canadiens.

The Rochester, New York native enjoyed a solid season with the Devils, picking up 20 goals and adding a career high 40 assists while sporting a plus- 12 rating. He added two goals and three assists in seven playoffs games.

Gionta's best season was in 2005-06 when he scored a career high 48 goals and added 41 assists. He also was part of the Devils Stanley Cup winning side of 2002-03.

One of the smallest players in the league, listed at 5'7'', Gionta was a third round pick, 82nd overall by the Devils in the 1998 NHL entry draft.

Earlier in the day, the Canadiens signed forward Mike Cammalleri to a five-year deal worth $30-million. Also, the Habs inked veteran blueliner Jaroslav Spacek to a three year, $11.5 million contract and defenceman Hal Gill to a two-year, $4.5 million contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    Big day for my Habs...!

Now Gionta!

Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Gill, Spacek...
    Yes, and they're overpaying each and every one of them.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, and they're overpaying each and every one of them.
    Time will tell

The only one that really bothers me is Gomez ($)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

This scares the crap outta me.

If the Rangers don't have some sort of injury clause in there, they're idiots. Or at least Dolan is. Maybe that's redundant. Anyway, the guy is coming off hip surgery. I truly hope Sather did some "due diligence" and had this guy checked out thoroughly. If not, this could be Pavel Bure revisited.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gaborik is a nice talent, but I don't like investing this kind of money in someone who has missed as much time as he has. Hopefully he can put his past behind him now since he's a Ranger. If not, then same old Rangers.