Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: **Official NHL Free Agent Signings Thread - 2009**

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedy fried Toon View Post
    I do know Brad Richards was in town this weekend. Take that however you would like.
    Do you have a link to that? I know Larry Brooks mentioned Richards' name in his article as a possible 1st line center target for the Rangers but he's under contract for 2 more years with Dallas. The Rangers can't talk to him unless they have permission from Dallas.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I don't know exactly what your affection for Dawes is based on but you are probably the only Ranger fan here who is smitten with him.

I'm sure you realize Rissmiller and Bell were added last year and are now UFA's and not in the team's plans.

Brashear - 6'3 - 239
    Gaborik - 6'1 - 200
    Higgins - 6'0 - 200
    Kotalik - 6'2 - 227

as opposed to the imposing 5'8, 190 pound Dawes who bounces off checks.

I'm also hoping once again that Dane Byers can finally make the big club.

Those are some pretty key additions if you are looking to have a team made of glass. Dont get me wrong, Gaborik and Kotalik can play but they gotta stay healthy. This offseason is just another opportunity for Sather to do his patch up with no real plan for the construction of this team. These players are just mere pieces of a puzzle which may get you to playoffs but will never advance to later rounds. As long as the Dolans are kept happy no?

Its not so much that I am smitten with Dawes. I just thought he came up big in certain pressure situations. More so then some of the big money guys we signed after the '06 season, not to name names. Each year we let young players go so Sather can stack the roster with big name players either past their prime or injury prone. With each signing, showing no real plan for things to come. I too hope Byers gets a shot along with Anisimov, more youth will be a good thing as these are the players who show up game in game out it seems.

I have no link for you in regards to the Richards visit. I play hockey down the street from the Rangers facility and a guy I play with is really good friends with Brad. They spent the four days playing golf together and Brad was at the Rangers training complex Saturday and Sunday. That was all he said as Sather was back in his hometown on vacation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedy fried Toon View Post
    Those are some pretty key additions if you are looking to have a team made of glass. Dont get me wrong, Gaborik and Kotalik can play but they gotta stay healthy. This offseason is just another opportunity for Sather to do his patch up with no real plan for the construction of this team. These players are just mere pieces of a puzzle which may get you to playoffs but will never advance to later rounds. As long as the Dolans are kept happy no?

Its not so much that I am smitten with Dawes. I just thought he came up big in certain pressure situations. More so then some of the big money guys we signed after the '06 season, not to name names. Each year we let young players go so Sather can stack the roster with big name players either past their prime or injury prone. With each signing, showing no real plan for things to come. I too hope Byers gets a shot along with Anisimov, more youth will be a good thing as these are the players who show up game in game out it seems.

I have no link for you in regards to the Richards visit. I play hockey down the street from the Rangers facility and a guy I play with is really good friends with Brad. They spent the four days playing golf together and Brad was at the Rangers training complex Saturday and Sunday. That was all he said as Sather was back in his hometown on vacation.
    That's pretty odd.

What Sather might be trying to compensate for also is his pretty piss poor drafts, particularly 2001-2004. His #1 picks those years were horrible picks. 2007 looks to be lost as well.