Thread: The Jetliner

The Jetliner

Raised in NYC now a Southerner. Jet/Titan fan since the inception of the AFL. Went to the first game at the Polo Grounds, season ticket holder since 1966. Never missed a home game until moved South. Known on radios as the Jetliner in Houston and Richmond. Big thoroughbred horse fan/ former owner.

I've seen it all and then some, with over 40 years of memories I've got lots of opinions past and present.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Hi, Jetliner. That's your sports talk call-in name? What tracks have you run at? Sam Houston? Fair Grounds? I love the game, but it's been too expensive lately. We'll be in NOLA on the weekend of 10/4. Maybe we'll see you at Ryan's Irish Pub.

... hi there jetliner, take it you live in richmond now ... please correct me if i`m mistaken there ...

... transplanted to atlanta myself ...

... is it sirius nfl that you chime in on under that name? ... i`ll make sure to keep an ear out for you ...

l_j_r
    Last edited by ljr@work; 07-01-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Red face Actually in Charlotte now

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Hi, Jetliner. That's your sports talk call-in name? What tracks have you run at? Sam Houston? Fair Grounds? I love the game, but it's been too expensive lately. We'll be in NOLA on the weekend of 10/4. Maybe we'll see you at Ryan's Irish Pub.
    I'v had horses that ran at Sam Houston, Retama,Lone Star,La. Downs, and most of the NY tracks (through West Point Thorobred). Economy has taken all my horses away (indirectly) but I still follow the game. NC is racing hell nothing here but the (ugh) Panthers and a miserable bunch of Panther fans.
    Several Jet fans and I congregate at Bailey' Irish Pub here for all the games. If you're in NC look us up!

Red face In Charlotte NC now

Quote Originally Posted by ljr@work View Post
    ... hi there jetliner, take it you live in richmond now ... please correct me if i`m mistaken there ...

... transplanted to atlanta myself ...

... is it sirius nfl that you chime in on under that name? ... i`ll make sure to keep an ear out for you ...

l_j_r
    Don't call in to NFL radio, as wait time is way too long, but I listen to them regularly. I used to have the "house" number in Houston, so they would work me in with almost no wait- different game here.

NC is hell nothing here but the (ugh) Panthers and a miserable bunch of Panther fans.
    Several Jet fans and I congregate at Bailey' Irish Pub here for all the games. If you're in NC look us up!

Hall Of Fame
    Welcome!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    I'v had horses that ran at Sam Houston, Retama,Lone Star,La. Downs, and most of the NY tracks (through West Point Thorobred). Economy has taken all my horses away (indirectly) but I still follow the game. NC is racing hell nothing here but the (ugh) Panthers and a miserable bunch of Panther fans.
    Ah yes, WPT. I've often wondered how a public stable works. One-time fee, monthly payments? Profits must be rare to come by.

Public Stables

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Ah yes, WPT. I've often wondered how a public stable works. One-time fee, monthly payments? Profits must be rare to come by.
    Stables run different programs, even within the stable. WPT is one of the better ones, and is from my experience, very honest. Visit their website. As to profitability- you will need to show a profit every few years (per IRS), so not putting all "your eggs in one basket" makes this easier. The benefits of ownership to the regular patron of the track make the "expenses" more palatable. As an owner you are licensed, and with the license come some benefits (vary form state to state). As mentioned consult with an accountant to find out about the real (read tax) benefits of being a business operator and understand that for the most part the profit is in the enjoyment and the excitement. Fortunately , one of my ventures was able to return a huge profit and prolonged the "ride".