Thread: Aroldis Chapman defected

Aroldis Chapman defected

11:10 AM: A source close to the situation says that 21-year-old Cuban LHP Aroldis Chapman indeed has defected. There were conflicting reports about the accuracy of a report yesterday at cubaencuentro.com about Chapman defecting. I’ll continue digging for more details.
    Someone that pretty much every team needs to be all over, stole the show from Darvish in the WBC. Lefty who averages 95 and can hit 100 on the gun, young too.

I think there is a 11 month waiting period before he can sign with anyone. Sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I think there is a 11 month waiting period before he can sign with anyone. Sucks...
    Yeah, all kinds of clearances that have to go by with the league before he can sign, but someone that is going to get paaaaaaid when the time comes. Lefties who can throw that hard don't grow on trees, especially young ones (Granted, he's probably more like 24 then 21 knowing Cuban imports )

This article seems to think he could get 30-60 million to sign, citing Contreras 4/32 deal with the Yankees back in 2003, but Contreras was much more polished when he crossed over, that seems like a poor comparison. But of course, any agent would want you to think it's the same thing...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4302422

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Is this something new?

I seem to recall signing EL Duque very soon after he defected from Cuba, like almost immediately

Or did it take longer than I remember?
    He has to establish residency in another country before he can sign for work in the US, which means lots of paperwork and quite a bit of waiting, I don't recall the El Duque situation, but it's hard to imagine how that would be negotiable, it's necessary for getting a Work Visa, no?

PS: This is what we're drooling about...he just needs someone to tell him to wear some baggy pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE0iQmsFSms&amp

Just looked up the El Duque thing,

On Christmas day 1997, Hernández defected from Cuba, departing on a boat from the small city of Caibarién.[3] The U.S. Coast Guard interdicted Hernandez, his companion Noris Bosch, another baseball player named Alberto Hernandez (no relation) and five others in Bahamian waters, delivering the entire party to Bahamian authorities in Freeport, who confined them in a detention center for illegal immigrants pending eventual repatriation to Cuba, the usual outcome of such cases.[4] However, after lobbying by sports agent Mark Cubas and representatives of the Cuban-American National Foundation (CANF), then-Attorney General Janet Reno eventually offered both Hernandezes and Bosch a special status known as "humanitarian parole" that would allow them to enter the U.S., based on (1) what were judged to be realistic fears of persecution should they be returned to Cuba and (2) their status as exceptionally talented athletes, a class of person that — like exceptionally talented people in other professions — can qualify for special admission to the U.S. under State Department rules. [5] However, Hernandez declined this offer, eventually accepting an offer of asylum in Costa Rica. If he had immediately become a U.S. resident, he would have been subject to baseball's regular draft and could only have negotiated terms with the team that picked him. As a non-U.S. resident, however, he was able to negotiate as a free agent. After two months in Costa Rica, Hernandez entered the U.S. on a visa arranged by the New York Yankees, with whom he had negotiated a four-year, $6.6 million contract.[6]
    - Wikipedia

It still took him 2 months in Costa Rica before he could come to the US on a Visa, and that's probably best case scenario.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 07-02-2009 at 01:27 PM.

I hope the Yankees don't over pay for this guy. Chapman posted only a 5.68 ERA in 6 1/3 innings during the WBC. Last year in the National Series in Cuba, Chapman had a 4.03 ERA in 118 1/3 innings. Guy has a blazing fastball, but his secondary stuff isn't very good. He's going to be a project, but he'll get big bucks, he can work on his secondary stuff, but you can't teach 100 mph.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-02-2009 at 01:47 PM.

I'll take Darvish over Chapman any day of the week. His breaking ball is NASTY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLGB69siot8

That may be about his secondary pitches, no argument here, but I think a big part of his problem is also wildness ... like I said in the last post, he just doesn't throw enough strikes ... its a little like Nuke Laloosh, he can absolutely blow it by you, but right now he's all over the place, just can't seem to consistently throw strikes

Now that was also the knock on Koufax and Ryan as youngsters, Randy Johnson too, its a fairly common flaw for young power pitchers, and the ones who learn to harness their control have a chance to become special, while the ones who don't (i.e. Daniel Cabrera) eventually fade away as huge disappointments
    Exactly why I prefer Darvish. He can control all his pitches. His command of his breaking stuff is a thing of beauty.

What I see is a kid who has tremendous talent, great arm, excellent fastball which you can always tell when someone can consistently throw it by you or get you to swing and miss at fastballs "in the strikezone" .. which he does

But on the flip side I see a kid who needs to work on his control and throw more strikes, because in the big leagues you can't depend on too many hitters chasing balls out of the strikezone and getting thsemselves out

So IMO he still has to work on his control (i.e. throwing more strikes), but the talent is obviously immense
    Well yeah, but he's 21 years old (Allegedly), he's someone you'd expect to throw into AA for a while and let him develop for 3-4 months at least. You can't teach someone the gifts he has though. Being able to throw the ball 100 mph, especially from a Lefty, is something that's usually worth gambling on, and his secondary stuff isn't awful, it just needs some work.

Yankees sound like they already want in on it anyways, lol

#Yankees senior VP Mark Newman in an email to me on whether we can assume they will target Chapman "Safe to assume." So it begins!17 minutes ago from web
    http://twitter.com/jorgearangure

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & View Post
    I would take Chapman

IMO he has a bigger upside as do most young power pitchers who can throw it by you in the strikezone

Those kinds of kids have a chance to be special, "IF" they can learn to harnesss their control
    Andrew Brackman can throw 100 mph, he's been a huge disappointment. Kyle Farnsworth can throw 97 mph, and he's awful. It's easy to fall in love with a 100 mph fastball, but chances are Chapman is overthrowing, since he has trouble throwing it for strikes. I'll take spotted 96 mph fastball and a nasty nasty breaking ball over over 100 mph and no breaking ball any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & View Post
    His control is better than Chapman's, but it needs as well

I that video and see hitters swining at quite a few pitches out of the strikezone

Again, you can't make a living counting on that in the big leagues

Some are free and will at anything close, but enough big league hitters will force you to throw strikes so at the end of the day its the guys who can beat you "with strikes" who are going to be the good major league pitchers
    Breaking balls are usually out of the zone by the time it gets to the plate... that's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Well yeah, but he's 21 years old (Allegedly), he's 'd expect to throw into AA for a while and let him develop for 3-4 months at least. You can't teach someone the gifts he has though. Being able to throw the ball 100 mph, especially from a Lefty, is something that's usually worth gambling on, and his secondary stuff isn't awful, it just needs some .

Yankees like they already want in on it anyways,

His breaking ball is non existent...

Don't get me wrong, I want the Yankees to sign him. He's a left handed pitcher who can throw 100 mph, you can't teach that.

There's still the major question on if Darvish will ever want to play in America, he quite enjoys being the face of Japanese baseball, is married to a model/pop singer in Japan, has stated that is goal is to win 200 games in Japan, he genuinely doesn't seem overly interested in trying his luck overseas, at least not at this stage of his career. Maybe as he gets older....my point is saving pennies for Darvish might ultimately prove to be a moot point, or it could be so far away that things have changed by then.

Of course Johan would be a great mentor for Chapman. But the #Mets haven't been heavily involved with previous defectors2 minutes ago

Of course, teams tend to get involved when we're talking about a 21 lefty who throws 100, so I'm not sure how much that means....

All League
    I would take Chapman

IMO he has a bigger upside as do most young power pitchers who can throw it by you in the strikezone

Those kinds of kids have a chance to be special, "IF" they can learn to harnesss their control
    Lack of control is apparent ( chapman)

Chapman is going to be a beast. It might be a ways down the road, but he's got too an arm not to be a good ML starter.

I think he should learn a slider over the curve. Maybe he'll learn both.

Pleeeease Jim Hendry. Darvis won't be in the Bigs for another 5-6 years anyway, and Chapman's upside as a power lefty starter is ridiculous.