Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to man up!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm not here to defend the Rays by any means, but when I read this, all I can think of is the following:

New York Yankees payroll: $201,449,189

Tampa Bay Rays payroll: $63,313,034

Shouldn't the Yankees be more talented?

Seriously.
    Good job on the google there Jordy. Nobody here knew that the payrolls were separated by such a wide margin. Seriously. Good job.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Good job on the google there Jordy. Nobody here knew that the payrolls were separated by such a wide margin. Seriously. Good job.
    Regardless, it's a valid point when you bring up who's got more talent, no?

All Pro
    Ask the Mets how their big payroll working out. At some point teams, regardless of payroll, must win games between the lines.

Banned
    In my eyes...The Yankees don't even have better talent than the Rays when talking about both lineups.

1B-Tex vs Pena...Both are great players, on both sides of the ball. I'll give Tex the advantage here so just I can be fair.

2B-Cano vs Zobrist...Both are solid players.

3B-A-Rod vs Longoria...Yeah, A-Rod gets the nod here but Longo is the future beast of the East.

SS-Jets vs Bartlett...Bartlett is now in his prime, Jeter's not...The Rays have the advantage here.

LF-Damon vs Crawford....It's not even close. Crawford is one of the best Left fielders in the game today and he's still only 27.

CF-Melky Cabrera vs B.J Upton...It's not even close. Upton is the defention of a 5 tool player and he's one of the best overall CF's in the game today. Also, Gardner has no chance against Upton when comparing talents.

RF-Swisher vs Gross...The Yankees get this one.

C-Posada vs Navarro...Navarro is only 25 years of age, he's slumping this year but he played like an all star catcher all of last year and the Rays win this matchup.

DH-Burrell is better than any DH the Yankees can throw at us since Matsui has been hurt. Burrell has averaged over 30+ HR's along with 90+ RBI's over the past 4 years.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    In my eyes...The Yankees don't even have better talent than the Rays when talking about both lineups.

1B-Tex vs Pena...Both are great players, on both sides of the ball. I'll give Tex the advantage here so just I can be fair.

3B-A-Rod vs Longoria...Yeah, A-Rod gets the nod here but Longo is the future beast of the East.

SS-Jets vs Bartlett...Bartlett is now in his prime, Jeter's not...The Rays have the advantage here.

LF-Damon vs Crawford....It's not even close. Crawford is one of the best Left fielders in the game today and he's still only 27.

CF-Melky Cabrera vs B.J Upton...It's not even close. Upton is the defention of a 5 tool player and he's one of the best overall CF's in the game today. Also, Gardner has no chance against Upton when comparing talents.

C-Posada vs Navarro...Navarro is only 25 years of age, he's slumping this year but he played like an all star catcher all of last year and the Rays win this matchup.

DH-Burrell is better than any DH the Yankees can throw at us since Matsui has been hurt. Burrell has averaged over 30+ HR's along with 90+ RBI's over the past 4 years.
    BJ Upton isn't even batting .250 and is well on his way to a 175 strikeouts. He has to produce a little more before saying he's much better than anyone.

Navarro isn't as good as Posada right now and the DH slot for the Yankees is consistently better than the Rays, regardless of who it is. Burrell is a shell of his former self.

And since you like stats so much DWC, check out the production after the 7th inning.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    A. No Personal attacks

B. No Hijacking threads (i.e. trolling)

Thanks
    Okay, can this post including all the other crap in this thread (not having to do with Tyler's intentions) be deleted then?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...&postcount=495

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...&postcount=509

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...&postcount=511

It's impossible for the Yankees to be in 3rd place by July 4th. The worst they can do is be tied for 2nd.

What's the tie-breaker if the Yanks & Rays are tied for 2nd? Head to head play? Record vs division opponents? Don't think i'm done yet...any stat geeks out there?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    What's the tie-breaker if the Yanks & Rays are tied for 2nd? Head to head play? Record vs division opponents? Don't think i'm done yet...any stat geeks out there?
    I think winning % should be the only thing that matters as far as the standings go...And your correct, you still do have a chance because it's July 3rd and the Yankees are up on the Rays by 2 games.

A Rays win and a Yankees loss today would cut that down to 1 game.

And a Rays win along with another Yankees loss tomorrow would tie the standings up.

Did anyone ever make it known, during the bet...That the Rays couldnt tie up the record ON July 4th? By July 4th...On July 4th...All the same if you ask me

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Ask the Mets how their big payroll working out. At some point teams, regardless of payroll, must win games between the lines.
    But your position was to point out the talent disparity. My point was that since teams usually have to pay more for talent, it goes without saying that the Yankees are going to have more talent at many positions than are the Rays based on the vast disparity in their payrolls. Having said that, the Rays proved last year that what you said is correct. What matters the most is what actually happens between the lines. And then some of the young players that Tampa Bay has will eventually become free agents and demand a drastic increase in salary and that's where teams like the Yankees, Mets and Dodgers come in.

Jets Insider VIP

With respect to Navarro, I think what we're seeing this year is more in line with his underachieving talent and that last year was more of an aberration.

Whoa!!!! Upton is not in the discussion of a 5-tool player, seriously a 5-tool player doesn't bat .273 with 9 HRs in a season. Or have a BA of .246 with 7 HRs right now, that is not the definition of a 5-tool player. 5-Too players are guys like A-Rod, Ken Griffey JR, and Barry Bonds, in their primes of coarse. But those guys are the definition of a 5-tool player, not Upton. Upton is not even top 5 in regards of overall CFers. And Melky has been the better hitter this season.

And this season Matsui has been a better DH then the Rays have had.

And Posada is easily better than the Rays catcher, there is nothing special about Navarro. Posada is easily a better hitter. And Navarro stats right now are more in lines of what he is. And while Crawford is still a better all around player than Damon, Damon clearly is the better hitter.

Hall Of Fame
    the Yankees are up on the Rays by 2 games.

A Rays win and a Yankees loss today would cut that down to 1 game.

And a Rays win along with another Yankees loss tomorrow would tie the standings up.
    Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up for us.
    Haha, I don't know how he figured that one out. I have been confused for hours over that one.

All Pro
    It's obvious that Tucker and his predictions had no chance with his AAA Mets team against a solid Yankees team.
    It sucks when your team gets killed by injuries.

Did anyone give the Yankees any slack a couple years ago when they went through about 10 starting pitchers in a season?

Did anyone give Herm any slack when the entire offense got hurt?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    It sucks when your team gets killed by injuries.

Did anyone give the Yankees any slack a couple years ago when they went through about 10 starting pitchers in a season?

Did anyone give Herm any slack when the entire offense got hurt?
    No. But the fact of the matter is this...The Mets are only 1 game back of 1st place in the NL East and with all of these injurys to three of their best Offensive players in Delgado, Beltran and Reyes...Thats more than impressive.

When Beltran and Reyes get back, if the Mets are anywhere around 5 games of the divison leaders...It's a wrap, the Mets will take the East.

Jets Insider VIP
    No. But the fact of the matter is this...The Mets are only 1 game back of 1st place in the NL East and with all of these injurys to three of their best Offensive players in Delgado, Beltran and Reyes...Thats more than impressive.

When Beltran and Reyes get back, if the Mets are anywhere around 5 games of the divison leaders...It's a wrap, the Mets will take the East.
    And it doesn't hurt that the Phillies have lost 14 of their last 18 games.

LOL. yeah i don't think it helps the NL East first place team is 39-37. I think you can agree DWC you throw them in the AL East and their at about Baltimores level. With that said, they can only play who they are scheduled to play and if they stay in the race and get healthy, I think they take the NL east.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Who cares about Tucker anymore?
    Says the Yankee fan version of Tucker.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    LOL. yeah i don't think it helps the NL East first place team is 39-37. I think you can agree DWC you throw them in the AL East and their at about Baltimores level. With that said, they can only play who they are scheduled to play and if they stay in the race and get healthy, I think they take the NL east.
    Well, if the Mets were in the AL East, I think they would be right there with the Rays and Jays (If they were 100%) but they would be better than Baltimore, without a doubt. I'm not sure whats going on with the Phillies because I never see them play, but they dominated the Rays last year in the World Series but I really do believe that was because the Red Sox took sooo much outta the Rays going 7 games during the ALCS, but still, they beat us in every aspect of the game

All Pro
    You know what, at the end of the day it's better to win 86 games in a piss poor division and be in the playoffs than to win 94 and be sitting at home.

Look at the Cards a few years ago, mediocre team, got hot in the playoffs, got the big trophy.