Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to man up!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Well, if the Mets were in the AL East, I think they would be right there with the Rays and Jays (If they were 100%) but they would be better than Baltimore, without a doubt. I'm not sure whats going on with the Phillies because I never see them play, but they dominated the Rays last year in the World Series but I really do believe that was because the Red Sox took sooo much outta the Rays going 7 games during the ALCS, but still, they beat us in every aspect of the game
    Anything can happen in a short series. Rays were a younger, probably more emotional team in that spot for the first time. You let a team get up on you, and it's like "Damn!!"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    You know what, at the end of the day it's better to win 86 games in a piss poor division and be in the playoffs than to win 94 and be sitting at home.

Look at the Cards a few years ago, mediocre team, got hot in the playoffs, got the big trophy.
    Point taken. I was merely pointing out that while yes, the Mets are close, a big part of the reason for that is the recent Phillies slump.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if the Mets were in the AL East, I think they would be right there with the Rays and Jays (If they were 100%) but they would be better than Baltimore, without a doubt. I'm not sure whats going on with the Phillies because I never see them play, but they dominated the Rays last year in the World Series but I really do believe that was because the Red Sox took sooo much outta the Rays going 7 games during the ALCS, but still, they beat us in every aspect of the game
    Oh yeah, I agree with you on that. I probably should have been more clear that how they would place in the AL east, with the roster they field right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Point taken. I was merely pointing out that while yes, the Mets are close, a big part of the reason for that is the recent Phillies slump.
    Living in Philly, I end up watching a lot of them.

If it wasn't for Rollins and his inability to get on base, this NL East race would be over already.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Living in Philly, I end up watching a lot of them.

If it wasn't for Rollins and his inability to get on base, this NL East race would be over already.
    There's plenty of other reasons, awful starting pitching, their bullpen returning to mediocrity, ect.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    There's plenty of other reasons, awful starting pitching, their bullpen returning to mediocrity, ect.
    Oh absolutely. Can't just point to one thing when a team is going bad, but I think a lot of their issues would be covered up if Rollins was getting on base at all.

They need another starter in the worst way. I can't believe they haven't tried to trade for Penny yet.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yankees just beat the Blue Jays... man up son!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Tucker, it looks like the Yankees are about to win here in the 9th with Mo on the mound pitching with 2 outs...

Time to man up and own up to it

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm not here to defend the Rays by any means, but when I read this, all I can think of is the following:

New York Yankees payroll: $201,449,189

Tampa Bay Rays payroll: $63,313,034

Shouldn't the Yankees be more talented?

Seriously.
    No necesarily. The Yankees talent is veteran talent. All guys who are free agent eligible. The Rays have young talent. Guys who haven't become free agent eligible and in a lot of cases not even arbitration eligible. The team still controls how much they get paid in most instances.A-Rod makes $32 this year and Longoria makes what $400,000?If Longoria was in his 13th year what would he be making?

The payroll shows the Yankees have an older team than the Rays-not more talented

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Miano View Post
    No necesarily. The Yankees talent is veteran talent. All guys who are free agent eligible. The Rays have young talent. Guys who haven't become free agent eligible and in a lot of cases not even arbitration eligible. The team still controls how much they get paid in most instances.A-Rod makes $32 this year and Longoria makes what $400,000?If Longoria was in his 13th year what would he be making?

The payroll shows the Yankees have an older team than the Rays-not more talented
    Exactly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yankees are a younger team than they have in the past.

Sabathia
    Teixeira
    Cano
    Chamberlain
    Wang
    Hughes
    Gardner
    Swisher
    Melky
    Cervelli
    Pena
    Bruney
    Coke
    Robertson
    Aceves

All these guys are in their 20's

and chances are they will be even young text season because four of their eight 30+ year old players are free agents. (Matsui, Damon, Pettitte, and Molina)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-03-2009 at 06:34 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

Sabathia
    Teixeira
    Cano
    Chamberlain
    Wang
    Hughes
    Gardner
    Swisher
    Melky
    Cervelli
    Pena
    Bruney
    Coke
    Robertson
    Aceves

and chances are they will be even young text season because four of their seven 30+ year old players are free agents. (Matsui, Damon, Pettitte, and Molina)
    And a good chance none of those guys come back.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    And a good chance none of those guys come back.
    Matsui, no way he comes back, I'm sure they want a DH who can play the outfield a little, which is why I want to re-sign Johnny Damon or trade for Adam Dunn, if he doesn't get traded before the trade deadline. I like Johnny Damon at the top of the lineup, if he's the full time DH he will stay healthy and and be able to still play the OF if neeeded, in say interleague or the World Series I like Adam Dunn because of what he can do in Yankee Stadium, but I think I prefer Damon because he can do and is doing a lot of damage at Yankee Stadium, and he can be plugged at the top of the lineup. Damon is also a prime time player, he can get it done in the big spot. Re-signing Damon for DH obviously means you have to make a decision about LF, does that mean signing Holliday or Bay? or going with a combination of Swisher, Gardner, Cabrera, and Jackson. Pettitte, time to cut the cord, Hughes needs to be given a chance. Molina is gone because Cervelii has proven he can be a decent backup.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-03-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I want to lure Bay away from Boston to play LF as well as re-signing Damon to a 1 or 2 year deal to DH, though I'm not sure the Yankees want to bring on another long term contract, but if they can, I'd trade Melky for whatever we can get for him, and have Gardner and Jackson battle for CF in spring training. If Jackson wins the job, Gardner is obviously very valuable on the bench, if Gardner wins the job, than send Jackson to AAA until he's ready.

Lineup:

Jeter SS
    Damon DH
    Teixeira 1B
    Rodriguez 3B
    Robinson Cano 2B
    Jason Bay LF
    Jorge Posada C
    Nick Swisher RF
    Austin Jackson CF

Bench:

Cervelli C
    Gardner OF
    Pena IF/OF
    + Left handed bat off the bench

Rotation:

Sabathia
    Burnett
    Chamberlain
    Wang
    Hughes

Bullpen:

Rivera
    Bruney
    Melancon
    Marte
    Robertson
    Coke
    Aceves
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-03-2009 at 07:01 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Bay resigns with Boston, I think the Yankees make a run for Matt Holliday. Boston HAS to sign Bay back, without him they would be in 3rd place right now, at least.

That would be a sick lineup though.
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 07-03-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

Sabathia
    Teixeira
    Cano
    Chamberlain
    Wang
    Hughes
    Gardner
    Swisher
    Melky
    Cervelli
    Pena
    Bruney
    Coke
    Robertson
    Aceves

and chances are they will be even young text season because four of their eight 30+ year old players are free agents. (Matsui, Damon, Pettitte, and Molina)
    Yes there's some younger talent, but the reason the payroll is so high is because the core of the team-Jeter, A-Rod,Tex,Matsui, Damon,Posada,Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte,Mariano-are all in their free agent years so of course they make more money than guys in their second or third years.
    A team with a drastically lower payroll can be just as talented if their core hasn't yet become free agent eligible.
    Agree with you on Damon.Like to see them keep-but only as a DH and emergency OF. He's become an absolute butcher in LF

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Tucker, it looks like the Yankees are about to win here in the 9th with Mo on the mound pitching with 2 outs...

Time to man up and own up to it

Yep, I lost...won't mention the Yankees for a month.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way Tucker, I know their only 2 back, but it's the Mets in 3rd place, not the Yankees.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    haha mets are just a joke now.. say all you want about injuries, same thing happened to the yankees and you didn't give them a break.. 3rd place mets.. yanks 1 game back baby! and not to mention you actually have to be good in the AL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Tucker were allowed to, I am sure he would be reminding us that that the Mets have more All-Stars than the Yankees.

I'm going to miss my morning laugh.