Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid AL East lineups: A-B & C teams.

I'll take it.

I'll let more creative minds on the board come up with a sig/avatar combo if I win.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Upton is hitting .246, Jones is hitting .300 and we're pretty much halfway through the season. That's a bet you're almost guaranteed to lose, even if he's better from here on out, he's not making up 54 points in batting average. I'll spare you.
    He won't have to make up .54 points on the batting average because I can bet my bottom dollar that Jones won't be batting .300 at the end of the year (He's been dropping each and every month) And Upton has been doing nothing but getting better with each and every month since his surgery during the offseason.

Upton was batting .177 after April (Was still getting healthy)
    Upton batted .218 during the month of May (Got a little better)
    Upton just hit for .324 during the month of June (Back on track)

On the other hand...

Jones was batting .359 after the month of April
    Jones batted .333 during May
    Jones just hit for .229 during the month of June

Like I said, Upton won't have to gain .54 points because they will meet somewhere around the middle and when it's all said and done...I'm confident that Upton will end up with the better batting average @ around .285-.290

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    I'll take it.

I'll let more creative minds on the board come up with a sig/avatar combo if I win.
    It's a done deal.

I win the Sig/Avatar bet if B.J Upton ends up with a better batting average than Adam Jones at the end of the regular season.

You win the Sig/Avatar bet if Adam Jones ends up with a better batting average than B.J Upton at the end of the regualr season.

Simple as that.

The loser MUST rock whatever Avatar the winner comes up with for two full months

Dude...it's a month. Upton's averaged jumped over a 100 points in June while Jones dropped over a 100.

Also, Jones isn't a rookie.

I could see Upton ending up in the high 270's this year.

Banned
    Dude...it's a month. Upton's averaged jumped over a 100 points in June while Jones dropped over a 100.

Also, Jones isn't a rookie.

I could see Upton ending up in the high 270's this year.
    Only time will tell, but I'm confident in this sig bet.

Just watch Upton go 3-5 tonight while Jones goes 1-5 just to put a little pressure on ya during the 1st night that we made the bet

Seriously, have you ever heard of a hot streak and a cold streak? That's what you're banking on, is that one good month (ie: A hot streak) continues for the remainder of the season. The reality is that Upton strikes out far too much to maintain an average that high. He might get up to .270-.275 or so, but that won't be enough. You're gonna lose that bet man.

Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Only time will tell, but I'm confident in this sig bet.

Just watch Upton go 3-5 tonight while Jones goes 1-5 just to put a little pressure on ya during the 1st night that we made the bet

I'm not going to feel any pressure from one game that hasn't even happened yet.

What?

On what planet?

.265/.386/.487/.873

vs.

.304/.352/.405/.757

Despite Ellsbury's almost 40 point lead in batting average he's still behind in OBP and he's got no power to speak of.

Both are very good defensive OFers.

Power isn't every thing. He is a great fielder and can steal bases like crazy. Getting into scoring position is Ellsbury's forte. Ellsbury is batting .305 vs. .265. 34 SB's on the year at a steady pace. He'll learn to walk better like Drew. But on a team to manage. I'd take Ellsbury over and over.

All League
    I'm durnk but ya I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Tyjets212 View Post
    Power isn't every thing. He is a great fielder and can steal bases like crazy. Getting into scoring position is Ellsbury's forte. Ellsbury is batting .305 vs. .265. 34 SB's on the year at a steady pace. He'll learn to walk better like Drew. But on a team to manage. I'd take Ellsbury over and over.
    Drew's a top defensive RFer too and also has a higher OBP. By 30 points...despite having a batting average 40 points lower.

On a team to manage I'd take Drew, and my team would whoop your Ellsbury squad everytime.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDgreenN'white View Post
    I'm durnk but ya I agree
    ....What the hell?

Drew's a top defensive RFer too and also has a higher OBP. By 30 points...despite having a batting average 40 points lower.

On a team to manage I'd take Drew, and my team would whoop your Ellsbury squad everytime.
    Good Defensive RF <<< Good Defensive CF. It's much more valuable to be good in CF then to be good in RF.

And I think you're underestimating the impact he has on the bases, you might end up being right, but it's a lot closer then you're making it out to be. And that's assuming that Ellsbury plateaus as the player he currently is, he could get even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Good Defensive RF <<< Good Defensive CF. It's much more valuable to be good in CF then to be good in RF.

And I think you're underestimating the impact he has on the bases, you might end up being right, but it's a lot closer then you're making it out to be. And that's assuming that Ellsbury plateaus as the player he currently is, he could get even better.
    I know being a good defensive CFer is more valuable, but Drew destroys him in every hitting category except batting average.

Ellsbury is one of the most overrated players in the league. I've even heard Sox fans say it. He's basically a more efficient version of Juan Pierre. Useful player, but meh.

Plus, Drew in his prime could have handled CF but the Cardinals had Edmonds, the Braves had Jones, and the Sox liked him manning RF. This is a guy who was called the next Mantle was he was in college.
    Last edited by Chica me Tipo; 07-04-2009 at 12:43 PM.

I know being a good defensive CFer is more valuable, but Drew destroys him in every hitting category except batting average.

Ellsbury is one of the most overrated players in the league. I've even heard Sox fans say it. He's basically a more efficient version of Juan Pierre. Useful player, but meh.

Plus, Drew in his prime could have handled CF but the Cardinals had Edmonds, the Braves had Jones, and the Sox liked him manning RF. This is a guy who was called the next Mantle was he was in college.
    Drew does not have the range for Centerfield, at least not to be a plus outfielder there. He's good where he is because the range concerns are nowheres near as much in a corner, but he'd be average at best in Centerfield. And if you have any idea how many people have been compared to greats only to fall well short of that, well, I'll leave it at that.

Plus, one thing you're not considering is just how injury prone Drew has been, only 3 times in his career has he played more then 140 games, on the other hand, 5 times he's played under 110 games. That counts against him in my eyes, you simply can't count on the guy.