Thread: Mariano Rivera

Banned

Mariano Rivera

Wasn't he supposed to be done or close to done? The surgery and the age catching up?

I was arguing with some douche on ESPN radio a month ago who was a huge Jobber to the pen guy who was saying Rivera was close to done and the Yankees with their horrible bullpen needed Chamberlain in the pen. "What happened with Rivera and Crawford the other night?"

What a dumb f*ck he was.

Veteran
    No one cares

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    He's the most humble I have ever seen in any , and no mistake about it, HE IS THE GOAT at Closer

Ted once said his goal as a kid was to be the greatest hitter who ever lived, so that when he walked down people would say "There Goes Ted Williams, Greatest hitter who ever lived"

That's actually where they took that line in "The Natural", from Ted Williams

In fact Roy Hobbs is sort of a composite of a few great players ... Feller, Mantle, Williams, etc ... including some great prospect who really did get shot (name escapes me?)

Anyway, IMO Mariano has attained that status as a RP/Closer

Best there ever was and best there ever will be in this game

Twenty years from now, if he's still here, when he walks down the street people will say ....

"There goes Mariano Rivera, best Closer who ever lived"
    Cubs shortstop Billy Jurges, his girlfriend shot him.

It's amazing how comfortable we've become with Mariano. I don't think some Yankee fans even realize the magnitude of this guy's greatness. When the ninth inning comes around and this guy comes in you rarely ever worry. The same can not be said for many other big league teams.

One of my favorite things in baseball have been at Yankees stadium, 2 outs in the 9th with 2 strikes and hearing how loud the stadium gets and see Mo strike out the guy and get the save. Awesome.

They are only going to realize the magnitude of Mariano's greatness when he's gone, especially the generation that grew up knowing nothing but Mariano either performaing like a Quasi MVP as a set-up man or the virtually automatic closer he has been since 96, and in that respect we are talking about an entire generation

Figure it this way, you really don't start to fully grasp what you're watching until you're around 10 Years old, and that's being generous, so essentially anyone 25 Years old or under has no real (deep) recollection of life without Mo Rivera

That whole generation is in for a rude awakening when this man finally calls it quits

Let me put it this way, I lived through Sparky Lyle and Goose Gossage and while they were both great closers in their own right, Goose being a hall of famer, they never gave you that same level of comfort you get with Mo Rivera ... and they never achieved his level of sheer dominance, where someone like Tom Kelly says "THAT GUY BELONGS IN ANOTHER LEAGUE, A HIGHER LEAGUE, BECAUSE WE CAN'T TOUCH HIM" ... or when Chipper Jones could only laugh in the dugout when Mo was breaking bats to close out his Braves in the 99 WS, as if to say this guy is friggin ridiculous!

You will never see anything like this guy again

Get that thought out of your head and hope for another Goose, because you will never see another Mariano
    That's me. I was a kid watching the mid 90s Yankees teams so I have definitely been spoiled by Mo. It's starting to hit me now with him get to 500 saves just how great this guy is and to appreciate him while he's still pitching. Same goes for Jeter, as he's getting older now. All I've ever known as a Yankee fan has consisted of Jeter and Rivera. It will be weird seeing a team one day without them.

Eckersley and Hoffman are close. But Rivera will be the number 1 closer for a long time.

Or at least until Papelbon hits 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyjets212 View Post
    Eckersley and Hoffman are close. But Rivera will be the number 1 for a long time.

Or at least until Papelbon 40.
    I've never seen Eckersley pitch, but Hoffman can't carry Rivera's jock strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I am old enough to remember Eck. He was dominating, but not for as long as Mo has and Eck does not have the post season resume that Mo does (then again, who does.)

Hoffman is a compiler, I have never been a big fan.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Wasn't he supposed to be done or close to done? The surgery and the age catching up?

I was arguing with some douche on ESPN radio a month ago who was a huge Jobber to the pen guy who was saying Rivera was close to done and the Yankees with their horrible bullpen needed Chamberlain in the pen. "What happened with Rivera and Crawford the other night?"

What a dumb f*ck he was.
    mariano is by far the best closer in baseball history..

i always get mildly PO when the talking heads try to put hoffman on rivera's level..

that said, mo is still nasty..

still the man..

He's the most humble GOAT I have ever seen in any sport, and make no mistake about it, HE IS THE GOAT at Closer

Ted Williams once said his goal as a kid was to be the greatest hitter who ever lived, so that when he walked down the street people would say "There Goes Ted Williams, Greatest hitter who ever lived"

That's actually where they took that line in "The Natural", from Ted Williams

In fact Roy Hobbs is sort of a composite of a few great players ... Feller, Mantle, Williams, etc ... including some great prospect who really did get shot (name escapes me?)

Anyway, IMO Mariano has attained that status as a RP/Closer

Best there ever was and best there ever will be in this game

Twenty years from now, if he's still here, when he walks down the street people will say ....

"There goes Mariano Rivera, best Closer who ever lived"

PS. Some Yankee fans have no idea how much they will miss this guy when its over

He is irreplacable

You will never find another one quite like him, virtually automatic for that long, and completely oblivious to pressure

i think u can actually argue Mo was the single most important player during our major 10 year run..... hes one of my favorite yankees ever.... i appreciate every time i see him go out their... he is absolutely the best closer ever and we will miss him big time when hes gone...

I can't imagine baseball life without Mariano Rivera

All League
    Closers dont last (dominate)10 years. It never happens. Mariano is a freak. Thats why comparing Papelbon to him is ridiculous. Come back to me in 2015

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Eck is definitely up there but Rivera is still the best. I'd put Eckersley #2.

Hoffman is a compiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyjets212 View Post
    Eckersley and Hoffman are close. But Rivera will be the number 1 closer for a long time.

Or at least until Papelbon hits 40.
    Neither one is close, both are in or will get into the Hall but Mariano is on a completely different level.