Thread: Wang going on the DL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Wang going on the DL

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Chien-Ming Wang had an MRI at Columbia Presbyterian and was back at the park by the end of the game.

He is headed for the DL with what is being described as a strain with bursitis. But everybody seems to think that he will be back within a month.

The Yankees traditionally fudge the details of injuries. But according to Wang, the pain he felt was far less severe than the shoulder inflammation that put him on the DL for nearly two months in 2005. The doctor he saw this afternoon told him that rest and rehab would take care of his issues in a few weeks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad Kennedy is still out with that aneurysm, would of liked to see him get a spot start. Since Hughes and Aceves can't be stretched out our only options right now are Kei Igawa or Sergio Mitre.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There saying that Sergio Mitre would be the SP brought up to take his start, that Hughes and Aceves aren't stretched out so they can't make the start. Unless the teams decides to go by committee and split it with Hughes and Aceves. Aceves could handle 55-60 pitches right now and Hughes around 45-50.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    There saying that Sergio Mitre would be the SP brought up to take his start, that Hughes and Aceves aren't stretched out so they can't make the start. Unless the teams decides to go by committee and split it with Hughes and Aceves. Aceves could handle 55-60 pitches right now and Hughes around 45-50.
    Ehh, much rather send up a new pitcher, using both for 50-60 pitches would put them both on the shelf for a few days.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Well I'm glad it doesn't appear to be anything serious and we should have him back in August, but in the meantime we're in a little bit of a bind ... and one thing I know for sure is that I never want to se Kei Igawa again, of that much I am certain, so I don't know who this Sergio guy is but whoever he is I would rather see him get the first shot

BTW, can anyone tell me anything about this guy?

Is he he veteran or a kid, and how is he doing at AAA?

Thanks

PS. What about Tomko, there are no great here and I know he isn't one either, but he's been an okay starter and maybe he can fill that 5th spot till Wang returns?
    Tomko can give us what, 3 innings, maybe 4? It's not worth it. Sergio Mitre was suspended before the season for PED's, we recently just signed him, I know ZIPPO about him, besides playing for the Marlins in '07, he recovered from TJ surgery in '08, his AAA numbers are decent. Major League numbers aren't good.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-04-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd personally call up ol Sidney Ponson, I'm sure he can spot us a few starts between beer binges.

EDIT: Ah, he's with the Royals, and he's pitched God awfully!
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-04-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    So should Hughes have stayed in AAA as a starter for this reason? Not that it matters now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & View Post
    A lot of people said we should do that for exactly this reason, in case someone goes down, and now those people will say I told you so, but I would also suggest we would NOT be one game out today if not for the job Hughes has done

IMO we probably lose three or four more without Hughes in the pen, and while he would be ready to step in as a in place of Wang had we sent him down, we're probably around five games out today rather than one

He's been THAT GOOD and THAT VALUABLE in the pen, so it cuts both ways

JMO
    I was one of those guys, but I'm not going to say "I told you so" because I agree, Hughes has helped us big time in the bullpen, and could help us win number 27. Since he's a year younger than Joba I don't mind him staying in the bullpen the rest of the year, he's already proven he can get out AAA hitters, he's learning a lot right now getting major league hitters out in high pressure situations, it's going to help him once he returns to starting next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    So should Hughes have stayed in AAA as a starter for this reason? Not that it matters now.
    Yes. He needed the innings.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Too bad Kennedy is still out with that aneurysm, would of liked to see him get a spot start. Since Hughes and Aceves can't be stretched out our only options right now are Kei Igawa or Sergio Mitre.
    Hughes is going into the rotation.

Aceves and Bruney are the setup men to Rivera.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Hughes is going into the rotation.

Aceves and Bruney are the setup men to Rivera.
    There is 0% Hughes will be in the rotation and starting 5 days from now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    There is 0% Hughes will be in the rotation and starting 5 days from now.
    ?

Not saying you're wrong but how does that make sense? Hughes has proven himself to be a good starter this year and Aceves and Bruney can share the setup role.

I understand he's 23 years old but the Yanks would only be asking him to be a 5th starter until Wang comes back.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ?

Not saying you're wrong but how does that make sense? Hughes has proven himself to be a good this year and Aceves and Bruney can share the setup role.

I understand he's 23 years old but the Yanks would only be asking him to be a 5th until Wang comes back.
    He would need to be stretched out to return to the rotation.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-05-2009 at 02:20 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    hughes won't start any time soon... nice try

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the Yankees will go out and sign a pitcher.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ?

Not saying you're wrong but how does that make sense? Hughes has proven himself to be a good starter this year and Aceves and Bruney can share the setup role.

I understand he's 23 years old but the Yanks would only be asking him to be a 5th starter until Wang comes back.
    He cant he hasnt pitch more then 35 pitches in over a month The Yankees would have to shelf him and get his pitch count back up. Plus you risk getting him hurt if you try to rush him back to 100 pitches. Until the Yankees plan on making him permanant in the starting rotation its better to leave him where he is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really makes you appreciate Ramiro Mendoza back in the day.

Long reliever, short reliever, spot starter. What a great and under apppreciated pitcher he was.