Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 teams that ranked top 10 in rushing attempts all made the playoffs last year...

Banned

7 teams that ranked top 10 in rushing attempts all made the playoffs last year...

The 7 teams that made the playoffs last year while ranking top 10 in rushing attempts were the (In this order) Ravens, Falcons, Vikings, Titans, Panthers, Giants and Steelers.

[B]Only 3 teams that ranked top 10 in passing attempts made the playoffs last year.[/B] Cards, Eagles and Colts.

The only 2 teams that made the playoffs last year but failed to crack the top 10 in both passing and rushing attempts were the Dolphins and Chargers.

The Chargers (Ranked 25th in passing attempts, ranked 20th in rushing attempts)

The Dolphins (Ranked 21st in passing attempts, ranked 12th in rushing attempts) Lets not forget, the wild cat was a HUGE reason on why the Dolphins won the AFC East.

The Colts threw the ball 585 times and only ran the ball 370 times.
    Arizona threw the ball 630 times and only ran the ball 340 times.
    The Eagles threw the ball 606 times and only ran the ball 427 times.

Those were the only 3 teams that actually made the playoffs that ranked top 10 in passing attempts on the year...3 teams.

But yet, once again...Those 7 teams that ranked top 10 in rushing attempts all made the playoffs.

The Steelers were the only team that made the playoffs that didn't rank top 10 in rushing yards out of those 7 teams.

[B]On the flip side...[/B]

The Saints ranked #1 in passing attempts & failed to make the playoffs (8-8)

The Broncos ranked #3 in passing attempts & failed to make the playoffs (8-8)

The Bucs ranked #6 in passing attempts & failed to make the playoffs (9-7)

The Texans ranked #7 in passing attempts & fauled to make the playoffs (8-8)

The Cowboys ranked #8 in passing attempts & failed to make the playoffs (9-7)

The Packers and Chiefs both ranked #9 in attempts and both failed to make the playoffs)

[B]On a side note:[/B]

The only 3 teams that ranked top 10 in rushing attempts that failed to make the playoffs were...

The Patriots ranked #4 in rushing attempts and failed to make the playoffs (11-5)

The Redskins ranked #8 in rushing attempts and failed to make the playoffs (8-8)

The Raiders ranked 10th in rushing attempts and failed to make the playoffs (5-11)

I just couldn't agree with one of the Patriots fans from this site that actually said that the NFL is now a "Passing League" just so he could end "All hope" from Jet fans around here.

Just because Brady's back and the Patriots have Randy Moss doesn't mean that this league is now a "Pass happy league".

Banned
    On a side note:

The Jets actually had the 9th most rushing yards in the league last year and guess what? We were ranked 19th in total rushing attempts. Impressive.

You know what that means right? This O-Line is one of the best in the game today when it comes to run blocking because the Jets were the only team to crack the top 10 in rushing yards that failed to crack the top 10 in rushing attempts and the fact that we finished 19th in rushing attempts makes it "that much more impressive".

Put it this way, the Jets were ranked 5th in average yards per carry behind the Giants, Panthers, Broncos and Chiefs with an average yards per carry of 4.7. The Panthers, Broncos and Chiefs all had the same 4.8 yards per carry.

The Jets actually passed the ball more than we ran the ball last year and I never understood why...It must have been the "Favre factor". If we would have ran the ball alot more during the last 5 weeks of the year...We would have made the playoffs, hands down because our Defense would have been fresh due to a ball control style of Offense.

I'm glad that Favre is gone.

Now we can have that smash mouth, grind it out, move the chains, keep the Rex Ryan Defense fresh style of attack with a potential Franchise QB in Mark Sanchez running the show as a game manager.

I expect this Jets Offense to rank top 5 in rushing yards with Jones, Leon and now Greene here in 2009 and guess what...Just like all the other teams that ranked top 5 in rushing attempts and rushing yards...This Jets team will be in the playoffs and thats because we also have a Defense thats full of talent.

Also, why is it that 6 of those 7 teams that ranked top 10 in rushing attempts...Also ranked top 10 in Defense?

The Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Vikings, Titans and Patriots all ranked top 10 last year on the Defensive side of the ball.

The Eagles were the only top 10 Defense out of teams that ranked top 10 in passing attempts to actually make the playoffs...

When I consider this Jets team a playoff type of team...I know and understand what I'm talking about because I understand the game of football.

When I consider this Jets Defense a top 10 Defense here in 2009...I know what I'm talking about because I can bet my bottom dollar this Jets Offense will keep the Defense FRESH here in 2009.

Call me a homer, I consider myself a realist who understands the game of football.

I know what this Jets team can do here in 09...

Finish top 10 in rushing attempts, finish top 5 in rushing yards and end up with a top 10 Defense with players such as Revis, Rhodes, Harris, Scott, Jenkins and Pace all leading the way for this Defense with solid players such as Sheppard, Ellis, Leonhard and Douglas all stepping up and making plays.

We even have some young talent and potential with Vernon Gholston and Dwight Lowery, who should both make some solid strides here in 09.

The NFL always goes in cycles, if people start using smaller and faster DBs and LBs to deal with the passing game than all of a sudden some team with a run first offense is going to pound its way to the Super Bowl and start a new trend. And if teams fill up their rosters with strong, slow DBs and LBs to stop the run then a passing team will win the SB and start a new trend. The real advantage in the NFL is to being out of fashion because then the other teams will be setting up their rosters to stop the other teams in the league instead of you.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3171230]On a side note:

Call me a homer,[/QUOTE]

DWC2, you are not only a homer, you are the biggest homer on the board. Not
    that it is a bad thing though. I admire your enthusiasm! :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;3171360]DWC2, you are not only a homer, you are the biggest homer on the board. Not
    that it is a bad thing though. I admire your enthusiasm! :yes:[/QUOTE]

Any post greater than 45 words is beyond my weekend reading comprehension. So I will agree without even reading his post.

[QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;3171360]DWC2, you are not only a homer, you are the biggest homer on the board. Not
    that it is a bad thing though. I admire your enthusiasm! :yes:[/QUOTE]

you should hear him talk about the rays/david price.. hahaha

It's not just Brady with the Patriots, it's Bellichick.

Brady is a HOF QB, and maybe would still be without BB, but you can't deny that the Patriots will do whatever it takes to win; pass, run, swim, whatever.

Let's see how well Cassell does in Kansas City this year. He was a nobody, played like an all-pro under BB, and now is on a different team. I'm not saying he's Brady, but don't say that Brady being back, passing system, etc is offset by your stats. The Patriots are unique, and I hate them for it.

Don't forget that BB is a scumbag, so we've got at least that going for us.

Banned
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3171422]
    Brady is a HOF QB, and maybe would still be without BB, but you can't deny that the Patriots will do whatever it takes to win; pass, run, swim, [B][I][U]CHEAT [/U][/I][/B]whatever.

[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3171425]Fixed.[/QUOTE]

I left that out, but it's part of their "uniqueness".

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3171230]When I consider this Jets team a playoff type of team...I know and understand what I'm talking about because I understand the game of football.[/QUOTE]

And we are just so lucky to be witnesses to your greatness!

Running and passing numbers have more to do with the defense than anything else. The teams who rank at the top of the rushing numbers had a good enough defense to maintain a lead and be able to pass the ball.

Ravens, Falcons, Vikings, Titans, Panthers, Giants and Steelers. They all ranked in the top half (3rd, 11th, 13th, 2nd, 12th, 5th, and 1st respectively) in the league in points allowed.

On the Flip side if you will: all the teams who had the most passing attempts and failed to make where in the bottom half of the league in this category (except the Bucs but i mean, come on)

The NFL is about balance. If you are a running team that lacks a passing attack you will lose in the playoffs, just ask the Titans and Ravens. You need to have both. This league is about winning Super Bowls, not 10 games.

I'm not sure if this has been said...

The reason that the top teams always have a lot of rushing attempts is simple. Those teams are leading late in a game...

I would bet most of those teams have a ton of 4th quarter runs, because they were in front often.

It's like the stat that always gets thrown out, "when X running back rushes 20 times a game, then Y team is 19-1"... No ****, when the same RB gets 20+ carries in a game, more often than not, that team is winning already.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3171553]I'm not sure if this has been said...

The reason that the top teams always have a lot of rushing attempts is simple. Those teams are leading late in a game...

I would bet most of those teams have a ton of 4th quarter runs, because they were in front often.

It's like the stat that always gets thrown out, "when X running back rushes 20 times a game, then Y team is 19-1"... No ****, when the same RB gets 20+ carries in a game, more often than not, that team is winning already.[/QUOTE]

The Titans were known all year for their beast of a rushing attack with Johnson and White.

The same goes for the Ravens, Falcons, Viking, Giants and Panthers.

The only two teams that passed ealy and often were the Patriots and Steelers and even the Giants beat down teams during the 1st 3 Q's with 3 RB's before the 4th Q.

Those teams were never known as "4th Q running teams" they were all known as grind it out, smash mouth style of attacks.

so...

if 7 out of 10 ALL made the playoffs...

this means that 70% of the time, it works ALL the time??

[IMG]http://www.basenotes.net/images/editorial/sex-panther.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=MainManMickens24;3171533]Running and passing numbers have more to do with the defense than anything else. The teams who rank at the top of the rushing numbers had a good enough defense to maintain a lead and be able to pass the ball.

Ravens, Falcons, Vikings, Titans, Panthers, Giants and Steelers. They all ranked in the top half (3rd, 11th, 13th, 2nd, 12th, 5th, and 1st respectively) in the league in points allowed.

On the Flip side if you will: all the teams who had the most passing attempts and failed to make where in the bottom half of the league in this category (except the Bucs but i mean, come on)

The NFL is about balance. If you are a running team that lacks a passing attack you will lose in the playoffs, just ask the Titans and Ravens. You need to have both. This league is about winning Super Bowls, not 10 games.[/QUOTE]

Solid post all around. This Jets team is getting better, and is light years ahead of the '06 and '07 squads in terms of raw talent, but we are not Super Bowl contenders even on paper yet. We know that our offense will be able to run the ball well enough to make us a .500 or better team next year but Sanchez is a rookie and we still haven't figured out who's going to be the #2 receiver. On top of that we have other glaring weaknesses that may hold us back from a playoff run:

-Marques Douglas was a very good DE with the 49ers, but could hardly hold onto the backup spot on the Ravens defense last season. Now he is 32 years old and our starter. Teams ran the ball to Coleman's side more often in the last eight games because he was not quick to react and could not occupy double blockers, and they will continue to probe the right side of our line against an aging 6'2 defensive end.

-Jim Leonard looked good in the playoffs playing next to All-Pro standouts like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, but now he is going to play on a defense which hasn't been in the same league as the Ravens in five seasons. He may be a weak spot, but either way he's an upgrade over Elam.

-Pace is out for the first four games, meaning that our pass rush will be dependent upon Bryan Thomas, Vernon Gholston, and Marques Murrell.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3171573]so...

if 7 out of 10 ALL made the playoffs...

this means that 70% of the time, it works ALL the time??

[IMG]http://www.basenotes.net/images/editorial/sex-panther.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

When did I say that? But since you wanna be a smart ass when trying to "Correct" me with garbage...How about this...

In 2007, the Titans led the league in rushing attempts, made the playoffs.
    In 2007, the Jaguars were #2 in rushing attemplts, made the playoffs.
    In 2007, the Steelers were #3 in rushing attempts, made the playoffs.
    In 2007, the Redskins were #5 in rushing attempts, made the playoffs.
    In 2007, The Chargers were #7 in rushing attempts, made the playoffs.
    In 2007, The Giants were #8 in rushing attempts, won the Super Bowl.
    In 2007, The Patriots were #9 in rushing attempts, Lost in the Super Bowl.

Once again...70% of the teams that ranked top 10 in rushing attempts all made the playoffs.

In 2007, only 3 of the top 10 teams in passing attempts made it to the playoffs. The Packers, Patriots and Sehawks

Just like in 2008...Only 30% of teams made the playoffs that ranked top 10 in passing attempts in 2007.

Also, in 2007, just like last year...6 of those 7 teams that led the league in rushing attempts also ranked top 10 in Defense.

Titans, Steelers, Redskins, Ravens, Giants and Patriots all ranked top 10 in rushing attempts, all made the playoffs, all ranked top 10 in Defense.

Also...Just like last year (The Eagles)...The only team that finished with a top 10 Defense in 2007 that ranked top 10 in passing attempts were the Patriots.

Banned
    To the poster who said... [B]"JI > DWC2, this **** gets old fast"[/B], you know...The type of poster who hides his negative comments behind "Tags"

What gets old? That I'm a pumped up Jets fan here in July? The fact that I'm showing nothing but FACTS on why I feel this team can be a playoff team?

The fact that I'm showing that 7 out of 10 teams (70%) that ranked top 10 in rushing attempts have also made the playoffs in 2007 and 2008?

The fact that I'm showing that 6 out of the 7 teams that have ranked top 10 in rushing attempts have also ranked top 10 in Defense in 2007 and 2008?

The fact that the Jets were ranked 5th in yards per carry last year? Ranked top 10 in rushing yards after ending up @ 19 in rushing attempts?

The fact that I have every right to feel and believe this is a playoff type of team with our Talented rookie QB along with our strong O-Line, dangerious backfield, great run blocking full back with talent and potential on the Defensive side of the ball with a 3-4 coach in Rex Ryan thats been around the game longer than Mangini has ever been?

I know, hide behind those little tags because you know what? The truth hurts doesn't it?

:yes:

All Pro
    Teams that win games usually run out the clock at the end, thus padding their rushing attempt totals. Teams that are losing end up passing more often late in games in an effort to score.

Playoff teams win more games than non playoff teams, so of course their rushing attempt totals will be skewed. This isn't some groundbreaking statistic, and it doesn't really prove anything.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3171230]On a side note:

[/QUOTE]

That was quite a side note post, which probably had more characters than the original post of this thread.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3171230]
    When I consider this Jets team a playoff type of team...I know and understand what I'm talking about because I understand the game of football.

[/QUOTE]

There are probably more than 12 teams that can play well and make the playoffs in the NFL every year, but only 12 make it. As of now, the Jets aren't a playoff team (9-7, 2 games out), and the projections for this year aren't as you interpret them because you can't predict how other teams will play. Saying you understand the game of football is a moot point, since many posters on here understand the game of football, and since the NFL is a league of parody and inconsistency for most teams (ours....) you'll never be able to predict what we're actually going to do.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3171620]Teams that win games usually run out the clock at the end, thus padding their rushing attempt totals. Teams that are losing end up passing more often late in games in an effort to score.

[B]Playoff teams win more games than non playoff teams[/B], so of course their rushing attempt totals will be skewed. This isn't some groundbreaking statistic, and it doesn't really prove anything.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone realize that the bolded part of the quote above is really the only statistic that counts? When the Patriots won superbowls, how many of those years did they rank among the league leaders in rushing? The Ravens? Tampa Bay? The Rams? I don't know, maybe they did, but you don't immediately think that they would. They played smart, and kept winning. The end.