Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: 500 HR plateau, Hall of Fame lock?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

500 HR plateau, Hall of Fame lock?

Adam Dunn hit his 300th home run yesterday, this guy isn't even 30 years old yet, if he stays healthy, he's going to hit 500 home runs, he's pretty much a lock to reach that plateau, he may even hit 600. Is Adam Dunn a Hall of Fame player? Not in my book, he's an okay hitter with a ton of power.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-05-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Say Dunn plays until he's 40 years old. If he averages 25 home runs per season that's 575 home runs, if he averages 30 that's 630 home runs. (Not counting the home runs he hits the rest of 2009)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-05-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this guy played in Yankee Stadium he'd pretty much be a lock for 600 home runs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    If this guy played in Yankee Stadium he'd pretty much be a lock for 600 home runs.
    600 a season maybe

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Dunn hit his 300th home run yesterday, this guy isn't even 30 years old yet, if he stays healthy, he's going to hit 500 home runs, he's pretty much a lock to reach that plateau, he may even hit 600. Is Adam Dunn a Hall of Fame player? Not in my book, he's an okay hitter with a ton of power.
    Even though he's from the H-town area, I still say NO to the HOF

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    Even though he's from the H- area, I still say NO to the
    I agree, but in the past 500 HR was a lock for the Hall of Fame, but now that guys like Jim Thome, and eventually Adam Dunn are hitting that milestone, I guess they have to re visit that stance.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you consider Mark McGwire a HOFer? Forget about the steroids, cause if McGwire is or should be than Dunn is well on his way. They're basically the same player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say yes. HR's put people in the stands.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Do you consider Mark McGwire a HOFer? Forget about the , cause if McGwire is or should be than Dunn is well on his way. They're basically the same player.
    Yes, if McGwire was steroids free than he is a HOFer

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems unfair to exclude Adam Dunn if he hits 500 hr from the HOF b/c he was never considered "elite." Especially if he's never proven to be a roider.

Growing up it was automatic - you hit 500 hrs or 3000 hits you're in the hall of fame. I know it's a different era with steroids but unless the guy is outed as a roider he should go to the hall of fame if he hits 500+ jacks.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 07-05-2009 at 09:49 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not after this whole steroid aftermath. The voters will be sure to look beyond HR's.

Dunn is country strong and it doesn't help is is going to spend his prime years with a piss poor team, unless he get's traded.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    HR are nice, but they shouldn't be everything. The most hits Adam Dunn has ever had in a season is 151. He only has a career 1,028 hits, it just so happens 300 of them are home runs.

The least number of hits Derek Jeter had in a season is 156, so his low point is still higher than Dunn's high water mark. By the way that's the year Jeter missed almost 2 months when he dislocated his shoulder.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It shouldn't be. The Hall of Fame, IMO, wasn't intended to recognize EVERY player who reached a statistical mark. It was intended to honor those players who represent the game as it was intended to be played. Just because someone hits 500 home runs during his career, doesn't make that person a HOFer! Pete Rose is the All-Time hit king, and he's NOT in the Hall of Fame because he wronged the integrity of the game. It's instances like this that should decide if a player is worthy of the Hall of Fame.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    Not after this whole steroid aftermath. The voters will be sure to look beyond HR's.

Dunn is country strong and it doesn't help is is going to spend his prime years with a piss poor team, unless he get's traded.
    He only signed a 2 year contract, so even he doesn't get traded, he's the next 3 months and next season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, Dunn is my second choice to be the Yankees DH next year, I don't think he's a Hall of Fame player, but I wouldn't mind have that power bat in Yankees Stadium.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say no to the HOF.

Also, I would take him as our DH next year in a heartbeat. I also like Sean's idea of Damon coming back as our DH, but I like Dunn slightly better. He's always had a very strong OBP and in this ballpark, 50 HR's would be a realistic possibility for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    500 HRs used to be a lock but not in this era and 300 si a long way from 500. Dunn is on track but whe you get in your 30s your body begins to break down a bit so he's far from a lock and if he hit 500 he would not make the Hall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    600 a season maybe
    as long as he is not a met player and could actually get a hit, and possibly produce an RBI

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gholstons Revenge View Post
    as long as he is not a met player and could actually get a hit, and possibly produce an RBI
    k. If he was a Met, he would into about 75 double plays.