Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Otis Smith is one of the top GM's in the NBA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Otis Smith is one of the top GM's in the NBA.

thoughts?

I know the guy looks and sounds like a mumbling idiot but...

- Trades for Vince Carter to replace Turk (who was getting overrated in the FA market anyways)

- Signs Brandon Bass (24 year old PF who can play the inside and has a very good face up game)

- Gets a 9 million dollar trade exception in the Turk deal, basically just about when it looked like they weren't getting anything

- Lets Dallas think and says publicly there is no way Orlando matches the Gortat offer sheet if they sign Bass...once Dallas lets Bass go...matches the Gortat offer

Basically Orlando today is a better team then they were last season as far as i am concerned.

Prediction...

Gortat and his 7mil dollar salary + the 8-9 mil dollar exception bring another allstar to Orlando during the season or Gortat gets trades straight up for a guy like Shane Battier (Rockets were on Gortat like white on rice prior to the mavericks stepping in).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't matter, Lakers will own them next year too. If they even make the final again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He may have made some shrewd moves this off-season but I'd say the 5 best NBA Gm's in no particular order:

Mitch Kupchak
    Joe Dumars (though he's recently made a couple bad moves trading Billups and then giving overrated Ben Gordon a big deal)
    Donnie Walsh
    Danny Ainge
    Gregg Popovich (no longer has the official GM title but he built the Spurs dynasty)

Worst GM's: Michael Jordan, Steve Kerr and Danny Ferry.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    He may have made some shrewd moves this off-season but I'd say the 5 best NBA Gm's in no particular order:

Mitch Kupchak
    Joe Dumars (though he's recently made a couple bad moves trading Billups and then giving overrated Ben Gordon a big deal)
    Donnie Walsh
    Danny Ainge
    Gregg Popovich (no longer has the official GM title but he built the Spurs dynasty)

Worst GM's: Michael Jordan, Steve Kerr and Danny Ferry.
    Don't get me wrong i agree with most of that list, but Ainge for example basically was considered very average and as i recall almost got let go. His "good GM" title is basically built on 1 off-season. Walsh...well we will see what he does in NY...so far he has drafted Gallinari and Hill both considered somewhat of a risk. And as you said Dumars has had some very questionable picks in the last few years...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyJenkins View Post
    Don't matter, Lakers will own them next year too. If they even make the final again.
    try contributing to the conversation rather then just being a hater.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    thoughts?

I know the guy looks and sounds like a mumbling idiot but...

- Trades for Vince Carter to replace Turk (who was getting overrated in the FA market anyways)

- Signs Brandon Bass (24 year old PF who can play the inside and has a very good face up game)

- Gets a 9 million dollar trade exception in the Turk deal, basically just about when it looked like they weren't getting anything

- Lets Dallas think and says publicly there is no way Orlando matches the Gortat offer sheet if they sign Bass...once Dallas lets Bass go...matches the Gortat offer

Basically Orlando today is a better team then they were last season as far as i am concerned.

Prediction...

Gortat and his 7mil dollar salary + the 8-9 mil dollar exception bring another allstar to Orlando during the season or Gortat gets trades straight up for a guy like Shane Battier (Rockets were on Gortat like white on rice prior to the mavericks stepping in).
    I think the jury's still out on whether Carter is a net benefit over Hedo, Lee and Alston. I suspect he will be and with Nelson presumably at 100% the Magic should be improved.

Not sure how much credit he deserves for Gortat. I think the bulk of the credit (if not all of it) should go to ownership for being willing to pay the luxury tax.

Despite those reservations, I absolutely love the Bass signing. He is a very nice player and will help the Magic out a lot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get me wrong i agree with most of that list, but Ainge for example basically was considered very average and as i recall almost got let go. His "good GM" title is basically built on 1 off-season. Walsh...well we will see what he does in NY...so far he has drafted Gallinari and Hill both considered somewhat of a risk. And as you said Dumars has had some very questionable picks in the last few years...
    As a Celtics fan, I disagree a bit on Ainge. Sure, he made some horrible personnel moves prior to the championship season (bringing in Ricky Davis and trading a lottery pick for Bassy Telfair come immediately to mind). But I actually think he's proven to be a very ABOVE average judge of talent even before the championship year. Al Jefferson and Rajon Rondo were bona fide post-lottery heists. Plus he has shown a well-above average ability to pick solid contributors in the late first round (Kendrick Perkins, Delonte West) and in the second (Glen Davis and Leon Powe).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    As a Celtics fan, I disagree a bit on Ainge. Sure, he made some horrible personnel moves prior to the championship season (bringing in Ricky Davis and trading a lottery pick for Bassy Telfair come immediately to mind). But I actually think he's proven to be a very ABOVE average judge of talent even before the championship year. Al Jefferson and Rajon Rondo were bona fide post-lottery heists. Plus he has shown a well-above average ability to pick solid contributors in the late first round (Kendrick Perkins, Delonte West) and in the second (Glen Davis and Leon Powe).
    I think average to above average talent evaluator covers it.

Rnd Name College/HS/Country Note
    1 J.R. Giddens University of New Mexico
    2 Semih Erden Fenerbahce Ulker (TUR)

1 Jeff Green Georgetown University
    2 Gabe Pruitt University of Southern California

1 Randy Foye Villanova University

1 Gerald Green Gulf Shores Academy
    2 Ryan Gomes Providence
    2 Orien Greene Louisiana Lafayette

1 Al Jefferson Prentiss HS (MS)
    1 Delonte West St. Joe's
    1 Tony Allen Oklahoma State
    2 Justin Reed Mississippi

1 Troy Bell Boston College
    1 Dahntay Jones Duke
    2 Brandon Hunter Ohio

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I think the jury's still out on whether Carter is a net benefit over Hedo, Lee and Alston. I suspect he will be and with Nelson presumably at 100% the Magic should be improved.

Not sure how much credit he deserves for Gortat. I think the bulk of the credit (if not all of it) should go to ownership for being willing to pay the luxury tax.

Despite those reservations, I absolutely love the Bass signing. He is a very nice player and will help the Magic out a lot.
    i am pumped about bass, but i also wanted wallace real bad...i think he was a perfect fit for us. props to the celtics organization for making a HARD push for wallace.

are you guys retaining davis? i cant believe he is still out there...i like him a lot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think average to above average talent evaluator covers it.

1 J.R. Giddens University of New Mexico
    2 Semih Erden Fenerbahce Ulker (TUR)

1 Jeff Green Georgetown University
    2 Gabe Pruitt University of Southern California

1 Randy Foye Villanova University

1 Gerald Green Gulf Shores Academy
    2 Ryan Gomes Providence
    2 Orien Greene Louisiana Lafayette

1 Al Jefferson Prentiss HS (MS)
    1 Delonte West St. Joe's
    1 Tony Allen Oklahoma State
    2 Justin Reed Mississippi

1 Troy Bell Boston College
    1 Dahntay Jones Duke
    2 Brandon Hunter Ohio

Don't forget, though, that in the NBA, teams routinely make deals before they pick and end up drafting players for other teams as part of those trades. Troy Bell and Dahntay Jones, for example were picks Hubie Brown directed Ainge to make for the Grizzilies. In return, the C's directed Memphis to draft Perkins () and Marcus Banks ().

Looking over this list, I believe that Ainge had nothing to do with the selections of Green, Foye, Bell and Jones. They were all part of pre-arranged trades. Also, the list leaves out players that Ainge directed other teams to make -- I believe that list includes Bill Walker, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, Banks, Perkins and most importantly Rondo. The Rondo and Jefferson picks alone put Ainge in the upper half of the league's GM's, IMO, and Powe and Davis (and hopefully Walker too) were excellent second round picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i am pumped about bass, but i also wanted wallace real bad...i think he was a perfect fit for us. props to the celtics organization for making a HARD push for wallace.

are you guys retaining davis? i cant believe he is still out there...i like him a lot.
    I agree. Bass is great, but Wallace's inside-outside game would probably have been an even better fit. Glad the C's were able to land him -- gives them at least one more chance to make a deep playoff run before the Big Three begins to break up (and break down).

I like Davis a lot too and I've been holding my breath all offseason hoping the C's retain him. He reminds me a lot of a young Kevin Duckworth (hope I'm not dating myself too much there).