Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official '09-'10 New York Islanders Thread***

All League

***Official '09-'10 New York Islanders Thread***

Islanders' Tavares signs three-year contract

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,3266587.story

John Tavares Wednesday answered the pundit in Toronto who suggested that the pride of Ontario should reject the Islanders if they drafted him No. 1 overall. He put his " John Hancock" on the bottom line of a three-year entry-level contract worth $900,000 per season in salary and guaranteed signing bonus plus other attainable bonuses that bring the total annual value to $3.75 million.

"It's good to officially be a part of the organization," Tavares said. "It's really not going to change the way I live my daily life or approach the game."

Maybe it won't change the person or player Tavares is, but everything has changed for the Islanders, who now have a breath of hope for the future. Now they have a bona fide gate attraction, which even the NHL realized by scheduling Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh as the visiting team on opening night against the Islanders Oct. 3 at Nassau Coliseum.

"It's a great opportunity to play in the National Hockey League and be a pro, but I want to stick with what got me here and the work habits I've had and everything I've put into the game of hockey," Tavares said of his contract.

Rather than planning any spending sprees, Tavares is focused on preparing for training camp in Saskatoon, which is the next step after the rookie minicamp that ended Wednesday.

"This gives you a taste or an idea of what it's going to be like with practice and the lifestyle and how things go at the rink," Tavares said of minicamp. "Being more comfortable with people makes it a lot easier coming to camp. I still have to work on a lot of things, getting physically stronger and getting my pace up to NHL standards."

The Islanders are coming off a last-place season in which the club failed to produce a 20-goal scorer for the first time in franchise history. But coach Scott Gordon saw evidence of the impact Tavares might make from the way he competes in the offensive zone.

"Sometimes, it looks like he has three sticks, and the defender has one stick with his ability to do the things he does with the puck," Gordon said. "His nose around the net is obviously a unique talent."

General manager Garth Snow liked how Tavares is willing to try unusual moves with the puck to create scoring chances. The other thing that stood out was Tavares' obsession with improving his game.

"That's unquestionable," Snow said. "He's far more advanced than any 18-year-old I've played with . . . he's almost at a point where it's like he's been a professional in the sense of the scrutiny he's been under."

He'll be under the NHL magnifying glass soon enough, but if any player is ready, Tavares is.

Also looks like Isles open the season vs. Pittsburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Islanders' Tavares signs three-year contract

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,3266587.story

John Tavares Wednesday answered the pundit in Toronto who suggested that the pride of Ontario should reject the Islanders if they drafted him No. 1 overall. He put his " John Hancock" on the bottom line of a three-year entry-level contract worth $900,000 per season in salary and guaranteed signing bonus plus other attainable bonuses that bring the total annual value to $3.75 million.

"It's good to officially be a part of the organization," Tavares said. "It's really not going to change the way I live my daily life or approach the game."

Maybe it won't change the person or player Tavares is, but everything has changed for the Islanders, who now have a breath of hope for the future. Now they have a bona fide gate attraction, which even the NHL realized by scheduling Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh as the visiting team on opening night against the Islanders Oct. 3 at Nassau Coliseum.

"It's a great opportunity to play in the National Hockey League and be a pro, but I want to stick with what got me here and the work habits I've had and everything I've put into the game of hockey," Tavares said of his contract.

Rather than planning any spending sprees, Tavares is focused on preparing for training camp in Saskatoon, which is the next step after the rookie minicamp that ended Wednesday.

"This gives you a taste or an idea of what it's going to be like with practice and the lifestyle and how things go at the rink," Tavares said of minicamp. "Being more comfortable with people makes it a lot easier coming to camp. I still have to work on a lot of things, getting physically stronger and getting my pace up to NHL standards."

The Islanders are coming off a last-place season in which the club failed to produce a 20-goal scorer for the first time in franchise history. But coach Scott Gordon saw evidence of the impact Tavares might make from the way he competes in the offensive zone.

"Sometimes, it looks like he has three sticks, and the defender has one stick with his ability to do the things he does with the puck," Gordon said. "His nose around the net is obviously a unique talent."

General manager Garth Snow liked how Tavares is willing to try unusual moves with the puck to create scoring chances. The other thing that stood out was Tavares' obsession with improving his game.

"That's unquestionable," Snow said. "He's far more advanced than any 18-year-old I've played with . . . he's almost at a point where it's like he's been a professional in the sense of the scrutiny he's been under."

He'll be under the NHL magnifying glass soon enough, but if any player is ready, Tavares is.

Also looks like Isles open the season vs. Pittsburg.
    It should be a very interesting season. Everyone outside our fan base is hoping this kid fails from the media in Canada to our most obvious rivals. Snow hasnt done much to help the kid out with the on ice product by providing him protection or a decent passer. Tanguay would have been perfect for an overpayment for a one-year contract (a la the Mike Comrie experiment), but he just signed in Florida.

Another factor is DiPietro. I dont think with all his surgeries he can ever come back to the flirting with superstardom level he was just beginning to show. I dont think we will see him play before the new year. He cant even play golf right now, so are we supposed to believe he can skate next month and fact shots?

All I am hoping for this year is to show improvement from the youngsters. If Okposo scores 30 goals, if Bailey builds upon his second half of last season and Tavares scores 25 (and we dont finish in last place) I dont think anyone can be disappointed. I think by 10-11 is when we should be thinking about playoffs.

I am not an Islander fan but I have to say I like what they are doing. Building a nice young base with a few talented vets thrown in the mix. I love their defense and wished we could have a talent like Streit playing for the Rangers. I do enjoy watching Islanders games though as their youth show a passion for the game that was missing from the Rangers for a significant stretch of the season last year. But I gotta say, DiPietro is not coming back. The Islanders should have kept Yan Denis or Dubi, they both looked good from limited action I have seen.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla View Post
    It should be a very interesting season. Everyone outside our fan base is hoping this kid fails from the media in Canada to our most obvious rivals. Snow hasnt done much to help the kid out with the on ice product by providing him protection or a decent passer. Tanguay would have been perfect for an overpayment for a one-year contract (a la the Mike Comrie experiment), but he just signed in Florida.
    What is it with you and the Canadian media thing?? First they have a conspiracy to make Tavares fall to 7th overall so Toronto can get him (like this ever happens...) then our scouting is incorrect on purpose just to spite 1 NHL team. Then Streit is a Norris candidate if he plays in Canada.. Have you not noticed that nothing hockey related really happens here anymore? Toronto has one of the best offensive Defencemen in the NHL in Kaberle, where's his nomination? Streit was never nominated on Montreal. Why was Chara never a nominee in Ottawa? Phaneuf? Or arguably the best Offensive Dman, Markov? The NHL's only bias is appealing to the fans (or lack thereof), they have nothing to lose by brushing us off, it's far from fringe here.

Nobody wants Tavares to fail, nobody. It would be bad for the Islanders, bad for the NHL, and bad for the currently lacking revenue of both. Nobody cares about any one team (much less one person) enough to take the time out of their day to vehemently hate and wish nothing but regression against.

Is there still a team on LI?????

I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel7 View Post
    What is it with you and the Canadian media thing?? First they have a conspiracy to make Tavares fall to 7th overall so Toronto can get him (like this ever happens...) then our scouting is incorrect on purpose just to spite 1 NHL team. Then Streit is a Norris candidate if he plays in Canada.. Have you not noticed that nothing hockey related really happens here anymore? Toronto has one of the best offensive Defencemen in the NHL in Kaberle, where's his nomination? Streit was never nominated on Montreal. Why was Chara never a nominee in Ottawa? Phaneuf? Or arguably the best Offensive Dman, Markov? The NHL's only bias is appealing to the fans (or lack thereof), they have nothing to lose by brushing us off, it's far from fringe here.

Nobody wants Tavares to fail, nobody. It would be bad for the Islanders, bad for the NHL, and bad for the currently lacking revenue of both. Nobody cares about any one team (much less one person) enough to take the time out of their day to vehemently hate and wish nothing but regression against.
    I am not a conspiracy theorist, but when the Islanders won the draft lottery, all of sudden Tavares wasnt the consensus number 1. If the Islanders bit and did end up taking Hedman or Duchene, Tampa would have traded the pick. Up until the pick, even insiders were saying Duchene was the pick. The Islanders leaked absolutely nothing. Who do you think was making up this stuff?

Historically, there has always been resentment from the Canadian media towards the Islanders starting from the cup years from 1980-1983. I am merely stating facts. Anytime a cheap dig at the organization is possible the Canadian media takes it. In fact, many openly covet us losing a team so Canada can get a 7th franchise. Sure, these are generalizations, and Ill concede that, but this offseason Steve Simmons from the Toronto Sun suggested Tavares pull a Lindros and refuse to report to the Islanders http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...21731-sun.html. All the time, reports would come out from sources with knowledge of the situation that Tavares did not want to play for the Islanders. It gets real old after a while. I love Canada. Love the beer, I think its a beautiful/underappreciated country, and I love the obsession with hockey obviously. The Senators are my second favorite team because I love their style and I love their fans. I just dont like how in cities like Montreal when a quebequa free agent signs elewhere, they get booed or every player who was born in Toronto will obviously sign with the Leafs. I dont like Flames fans who think they are better than the Oilers fans and I certainly do not like the media in Vancouver, who ripped the islanders organziation before their game last year and called the game a guaranteed win for the nucks (loved the Islanders win in that game).

Thus, what I am saying is I root for the Senators and the Oilers because they most resemble the Islanders in that they and their fans are victims of a superiority complex exued by neighboring teams and their media.
    Last edited by mallamalla; 07-20-2009 at 04:14 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla View Post
    I am not a conspiracy theorist, but when the Islanders won the draft lottery, all of sudden Tavares wasnt the consensus number 1. If the Islanders bit and did end up taking Hedman or Duchene, Tampa would have traded the pick. Up until the pick, even insiders were saying Duchene was the pick. The Islanders leaked absolutely nothing. Who do you think was making up this stuff?
    I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything, just curious... cause it seems like you were over-valuing the importance that Canadian media plays... There's a reason no superstars even want to play here. Anyways, you can look back to posts from September or so where I was saying Tavares has Daigle written over him. I was in no way alone in that thinking... It obviously becomes more blown out of proportion when hockey is over and the draft is all that's left. I get that our guys up here are more than a little bit crazy with all this crap... Tavares has been in question for a long time (even from ISS). He was the clear cut #1 guy in everyones mind, but it can still hit or miss. From a realistic standpoint though, the Isles scouts are paid to scout their best for the Isles, no matter who else says what.

Historically, there has always been resentment from the Canadian media towards the Islanders starting from the cup years from 1980-1983. I am merely stating facts. Anytime a cheap dig at the organization is possible the Canadian media takes it. In fact, many openly covet us losing a team so Canada can get a 7th franchise.
    Kansas and Las Vegas are the NHL's targets right now, and everyone knows it. Although it has been said that Winnipeg and Hamilton (not so much Hamilton... lol) will get their fair shot if they apply properly. Bettman has said that he would love to get a team back in Winnipeg if the time and offer is right. There is a brand new empty arena in Kansas that the NHL's business partner - AEG - built. That should say it all. Most of the actual fans up here recognize that our shot is pretty slim, and most don't care to see it anyways.

Sure, these are generalizations, and Ill concede that, but this offseason Steve Simmons from the Toronto Sun suggested Tavares pull a Lindros and refuse to report to the Islanders http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...21731-sun.html. All the time, reports would come out from sources with knowledge of the situation that Tavares did not want to play for the Islanders.
    Simmons is a ****ing fool in the first place, not even Leaf fans like him haha. I do get how that would at the very least piss you off though. I wont disagree with you for a second that the majority of columnists/journalists covering hockey up here are beyond over-the-top, but you really just have to play it off. Guys like those never get taken seriously anyways. I looked no further than Tavares himself this off-season. He's said that he's heard more than a few crazy stories, but he's just shrugging it off and doing what he has to. Snow has actually done a pretty good job with him so far though, he's said that this is Okposo's team, this is Bailey's team etc. He's keeping the pressure off of Tavares and asking him to just go home and get ready for the camp etc. Alot of hockey boards were relieved all-around when Tavares signed so people would stop saying crazy ****. It happens, dude. It really shouldn't be stressing you out... Half our players up here have all the pressure in the world and get run out of town by these clowns. Being the Sens for the last two seasons, I've heard more than enough garbage :/

It gets real old after a while. I love Canada. Love the beer, I think its a beautiful/underappreciated country, and I love the obsession with hockey obviously. The Senators are my second favorite team because I love their style and I love their fans. I just dont like how in cities like Montreal when a quebequa free agent signs elewhere, they get booed or every player who was born in Toronto will obviously sign with the Leafs. I dont like Flames fans who think they are better than the Oilers fans and I certainly do not like the media in Vancouver, who ripped the islanders organziation before their game last year and called the game a guaranteed win for the nucks (loved the Islanders win in that game).

Thus, what I am saying is I root for the Senators and the Oilers because they most resemble the Islanders in that they and their fans are victims of a superiority complex exued by neighboring teams and their media.
    Alright that's fair enough, it does get pretty drastic up here. I mean really though it all comes down to how seriously you take it... Sens and Oil definitely catch the **** from everyone else - only this is a multiple time per day basis so maybe my skin is just thickened. Mostly everyone knows that the sports writers up here are ridiculous at the very least, but they have very little leverage here even.

Anyways, no hard feelings or anything, guy. I was just curious. It just kinda irked me cause I didn't know exactly what the problem is.

BTW, Isles are starting to look very nice with the prospect pool. Still don't have too many studs in the system, but I think with the cap going down and your relief from a few contracts next year... Things are looking pretty bright.

I hate the Islanders but in 2-3 years this could be a really solid team.

All League
    I'm still not sold on Garth Snow as a GM, but I do like the direction this team is trying to head in. Time will tell.

Dicky DiPietro is looking like he'll be average for the rest of his contract. What, another 7 years?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I'm still not sold on Garth Snow as a GM, but I do like the direction this team is trying to head in. Time will tell.

Dicky DiPietro is looking like he'll be average for the rest of his contract. What, another 7 years?
    DiPietro, Roloson and Biron? What gives? DiPietro on the block?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Avery View Post
    I hate the Islanders but in 2-3 years this could be a really solid team.
    Playing in Ohlahoma......where the REAL hockey fans are.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    DiPietro, Roloson and Biron? What gives? DiPietro on the block?
    I'm thinkin DP is out for the year already. Besides those guys you listed, they also drafted 2 goalies. Unless Snow has a plan to use a 4 goalie rotation, so each guy is fresh every night.... "It just might be crazy enough to work..." Snow says to himself...

Snow prob hired the mets conditioning coach to keep getting DP injured, so he can be a player/GM....

There has to be a MAJOR problem with DP if they signed all these guys along with drafting a goalie...maybe they found that hole in his glove side....

Hall Of Fame
    Not a good sign.

Islanders have dismissed longtime radio analyst Chris King and play-by-player Steve Mears. To cut costs, the Islanders will simulcast the Howie Rose/Billy Jaffe TV calls.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/07242009...059.htm?page=2

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Ugh, ever try to listen to TV without a picture? Just not the same. You can't broadcast the TV audio and call it radio. What a bad move this is.

All League

Mike Sillinger retires

Okposo Needs to learn never skate with his head down....What a hit...as an islander fan im mad he was hit that hard in a pre-season game BUT it was a perfectly legal hit...just hope hes OK to go come the start of the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iql-lyihBkM

All League
    Yeah, that sucks. I read an article that said he was sitting out due to concussion and I was like "ut oh.". What a way to start a season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson80 View Post
    Okposo Needs to learn never skate with his head down....What a hit...as an islander fan im mad he was hit that hard in a pre-season game BUT it was a perfectly legal hit...just hope hes OK to go come the start of the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iql-lyihBkM
    IDK. It's arguable that he might have left his feet. I'd also question charging as he took a few strides before hitting him. But it really doesn't matter now. It's certainly not suspendable. That was a devastating hit and the only thing that matters for you guys is the health of Okposo. I hope he's OK.

Edit: I just read he's skating again and is optimistic about being ready for the opener. So good news.

IDK. It's arguable that he might have left his feet. I'd also question charging as he took a few strides before hitting him. But it really doesn't matter now. It's certainly not suspendable. That was a devastating hit and the only thing that matters for you guys is the health of Okposo. I hope he's OK.

Edit: I just read he's skating again and is optimistic about being ready for the opener. So good news.
    your right i didnt notice his stirdes as I was watching Okposo skating.... Very good news hes going to be ready, i think it should be a fun season to watching, they will be competative, they will be a hard working team, IF DP can stay healthy they will be better then most people think, im not epecting playoffs but i am also not expeting them to be horrible..i hope they are a team that gives other teams fits by all their hard work...