Thread: Best league in Europe?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Best league in Europe?

If it wasn't before, it's definitely Spain now, by far. Barcelona and Madrid alone have a ridiculous amount of superstars.

The Premiership is strong as usual, and Italy has taken a pretty serious dive recently. I think Serie A has some lean years ahead.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    One could argue that Engalnd is still in front. I think last year was the 2nd year in a row they had 3 of the 4 quarter finalists in the CL. I still vote Spain.

1 Spain
    2 England
    3 Italy
    4 Germany
    5 France/Turkey/Portugal....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    One could argue that Engalnd is still in front. I think last year was the 2nd year in a row they had 3 of the 4 quarter finalists in the CL. I still vote Spain.

1 Spain
    2 England
    3 Italy
    4 Germany
    5 France/Turkey/Portugal....
    Think its fairly close thing between Spain and England; what clinches it for Spain is the fact they're reigning Euro champions - the league has to be doing something right to be producing players of the calibre of Iniesta. Technically a superior league to the Premier, even though the physical conditioning of the players in England is far better. Think Spain is a better league top to bottom than England's - they consistently do better in the 'second' European competition, the Uefa (Europa) Cup than England's clubs. Won it 3 times out of the last 6.

Italy was THE league through the mid/late 80's and into the 90's - defensively fantastic. Not any more. Would put Italy and Germany on a par now, TBH. What a fall from grace.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Champions League

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Think its fairly close thing between Spain and England; what clinches it for Spain is the fact they're reigning Euro champions - the league has to be doing something right to be producing players of the calibre of Iniesta. Technically a superior league to the Premier, even though the physical conditioning of the players in England is far better. Think Spain is a better league top to bottom than England's - they consistently do better in the 'second' European competition, the Uefa (Europa) Cup than England's clubs. Won it 3 times out of the last 6.

Italy was THE league through the mid/late 80's and into the 90's - defensively fantastic. Not any more. Would put Italy and Germany on a par now, TBH. What a fall from grace.
    I almost did that.

Prediction: Italy will bomb badly in next year's WC.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Prediction: Italy will bomb badly in next year's WC.
    Not as badly as Les Blows.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Not as badly as Les Blows.
    LAWL. That was actually pretty good.

Seriously though, they're keeping the geezers and going down the same road we went went the 98 generation got old together. Cannavaro has to go, now.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    LAWL. That was actually pretty good.
    I know, I'll be getting pretty good mileage out of that one.

Seriously though, they're keeping the geezers and going down the same road we went went the 98 generation got old together. Cannavaro has to go, now.
    You're absolutely right. They don't need to stick with these old, worn out guys. Make the transition to the youth now, now is the time to do it.

That's why Totti was the best, he knew when to retire from the national team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know, I'll be getting pretty good mileage out of that one.

You're absolutely right. They don't need to stick with these old, worn out guys. Make the transition to the youth now, now is the time to do it.

That's why Totti was the best, he knew when to retire from the national team.
    Isn't Totti talking about returning?

look no further than Italy's and France's games against the Dutch youngsters: completely owned in terms of speed. Great but old defenders like Thuram and Cannavaro got schooled. If Italy plays Spain or the Dutch, it will not be pretty.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't Totti talking about returning?

look no further than Italy's and France's games against the Dutch youngsters: completely owned in terms of speed. Great but old defenders like Thuram and Cannavaro got schooled. If Italy plays Spain or the Dutch, it will not be pretty.
    Is he? I hadn't heard that. I hope not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is he? I hadn't heard that. I hope not.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0712/tottif.html

It's a year old so take it with a grain of salt.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the top end La Liga is ridicilous with Barça and Real but then it kind of drops off a cliff whereas the Premiership has very strong 5-6 teams.

If Barça or Real are not playing I'd rather watch a premiership match.