Thread: Jets Game Question

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Game Question

Hi all,

Need some advice on coming to NY to see a game this year. Is there any place to stay close to the stadium thats good or is it better to stay in the city? My wife and I are coming in on a Friday leaving on Monday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO always better to stay in the city.... see some broadway shows, have some nice meals, let the missus break the bank at Bloomies, Saks and Lord and Taylor and on Sunday take NJT from Penn Station to Secaucus and the brand new rail line directly to the stadium

you don't have to take out an equity loan for the hotel, either -- there is a Courtyard by Marriott just below the Theater district in a really good location and only a six block walk to and from the railroad to the stadium

you don't even need to rent a car for the whole weekend

the alternative is to stay in the swamps of NJ and watch the cat tails grow

just my opinion, though

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CaliJetsFan;3196241]Hi all,

Need some advice on coming to NY to see a game this year. Is there any place to stay close to the stadium thats good or is it better to stay in the city? My wife and I are coming in on a Friday leaving on Monday.[/QUOTE]

A) Stay In Manhattan

B) Leave The Rally Monkey Home

:P

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Need some advice on coming to NY to see a game this year. Is there any place to stay close to the stadium thats good or is it better to stay in the city? My wife and I are coming in on a Friday leaving on Monday.[/QUOTE]

Just to reiterate what the others are saying....stay in the city. There is nothing going on by the stadium the rest of the weekend and if you are coming in for the entire weekend with your wife, you might as well combine a Jet game with a NYC weekend.

On gameday, head over to the Port Authority terminal on 8th Ave and 41st and simply take the bus to the game. Its a remarkably efficient 15 minute ride. Getting back, its a remarkably inefficient wait/ride, but getting out of any stadium is no picnic. The train might be an option as well (I can't remember if its running this year or next).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a brand new W Hotel on the waterfront in Hoboken.

Train from Hoboken right to the stadium.

Very easy access to NYC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are some nice hotels right near the stadium (Sheraton Meadowlands is walking distance) but you will be bored to tears the rest of the time during your stay. I would stay in Manhattan and enjoy the city and take the new train from Penn station directly to the stadium (or the bus from Port Authority) on Sunday. Its about a 15 minute train/ or bus ride. If you want to make the most of your little vacation, that is the only way to go.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;3196336]There are some nice hotels right near the stadium [B](Sheraton Meadowlands is walking distance) [/B]but you will be bored to tears the rest of the time during your stay. I would stay in Manhattan and enjoy the city and take the new train from Penn station directly to the stadium (or the bus from Port Authority) on Sunday. Its about a 15 minute train/ or bus ride. If you want to make the most of your little vacation, that is the only way to go.[/QUOTE]

Is there even a way to walk from the Sheraton to the Stadium? I had clients come in several years ago and while the Sheraton is a pitching wedge away from the parking lot, they couldn't find an easy path for walking to the Stadium. Getting back to the hotel involved three drunk Brits running across Rt 3.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3196338]Is there even a way to walk from the Sheraton to the Stadium? I had clients come in several years ago and while the Sheraton is a pitching wedge away from the parking lot, they couldn't find an easy path for walking to the Stadium. Getting back to the hotel involved three drunk Brits running across Rt 3.[/QUOTE]

:D I wish I could have seen that. And you are correct. There is no direct walkway from that hotel to the stadium. I once went to the Sunday brunch at the Sheraton on a cold and rainy game day and instead of fighting the traffic to drive over we were going to walk. When we found out we had to walk next to the cars over the bridge atop Route 3 towards the Continental arena we decided to drive instead. Our visitor from Cali really should stay in Manhattan for all the reasons listed above. He'll have a great time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;3196331]There is a brand new W Hotel on the waterfront in Hoboken.

Train from Hoboken right to the stadium.

Very easy access to NYC.[/QUOTE]

+1

I tell anyone who asks - stay in Jersey City or Hoboken! Easy access to Manhattan, best view of the skyline, [B]and[/B] much easier to get to the stadium.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends. If you are spending 3 days in NYC to see the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, Chinatown, Little Italy, Central Park, Museum of Natural History, Broadway show, and 5th Avenue shopping, definitely stay in Manhattan. I can recommend some great hotels that are conveniently located and somewhat reasonable.

On the other hand, if you're just coming into town for 48 hours to focus on the Jets and don't have the need for any tourist siteseeing activities, stay in NJ. Secaucus is just 5 minutes from the stadium, has great hotels with big rooms and cheap prices, lots of shopping, plenty of restaurants, movie theaters, sports bars, etc. Hoboken is just a 10 minute drive with some great culture, hotspots, upscale dining, etc.

So, I'd put you at Central Park West at 80th Street if you want a small Manhattan room for $300 a night in NYC or I'd put you in the Embassy Suites in Secaucus if you want a suite for $175 a night in NJ.

Oh, and your airport makes a big difference here too. If from where you fly you can only get to JFK and need to fly out at 6am Monday, different situation. If you can get to Newark instead, different situation. Share the other factors and we can be of bigger help.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do end up staying in NY, just one piece of advice....don't stay at the Hotel Pennsylvania.

I'm not sure what that place does advertising-wise to get so much business, but for whatever reason, I have heard of numerous random stories of unsuspecting out of towners coming in, thinking they've picked a decent hotel and have basically had to move out of it as it is such a dump.

The economy has brought down the prices of hotels in NY, so you can probably find a nice one for a decent price.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks everyone...i think we've decided to stay in manhattan as we definitely like some night life. we will be coming into jfk...im thinking now of making it 5 days...what the hell...there is so much to see and the wife has never been. riding the train in sounds like the best bet as id rather not drive to the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CaliJetsFan;3197324]thanks everyone...i think we've decided to stay in manhattan as we definitely like some night life. we will be coming into jfk...im thinking now of making it 5 days...what the hell...there is so much to see and the wife has never been. riding the train in sounds like the best bet as id rather not drive to the game.[/QUOTE]

is that her in the avatar?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stay in Manhattan at the Eastgate Hotel...39th and 3rd.

Suites for $220 per nite with kitchenettes .
    Easy to get to "Pote" Authority Bus Terminal for express buses to Jets games.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;3197482]is that her in the avatar?[/QUOTE]

yup...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CaliJetsFan;3197517]yup...[/QUOTE]

very nice :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Courtyard by Marriott -- 40th off Broadway -- reasonable, breakfast room, nice rooms, 6 blocks to Penn Station and the train to the game, short walk to virtually every Broadway Theater and a couple of blocks for the missus to break the bank at Lord and Taylor.

much more convenient than staying up by Central Park West IMO