Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Waive Owens, Claim Brock from Carolina

Veteran

Jets Waive Owens, Claim Brock from Carolina

[quote]CORTLAND, N.Y. (AP) The New York Jets have waived tight end Richard Owens and claimed tight end Kevin Brock off waivers from the Carolina Panthers.

Owens missed several training camp practices with a leg injury, spending the last few days riding the stationary bike. Signed last month, Owens has 17 career catches for 141 yards and a touchdown in four NFL seasons with Minnesota and St. Louis.

Brock, an undrafted rookie from Rutgers, spent four years as a walk-on with the Scarlet Knights before being awarded a scholarship in his redshirt senior season. He had 49 catches for 541 yards and four touchdowns for Rutgers.[/quote]

having trouble finding TE depth. I guess we will address in the draft next year.

All Pro
    So how many of those Rutgers players that had that special season a few yrs ago have we now signed to our current roster.

Are we going to hire their former and current Rutgers HC as a consultant.:eek::yes:

Man this 2nd TE thing is being an a-hole.

Undrafted Free Agent
    And this is why it was down right FOOLISH to let Chris Baker's contract situation get to were it did and eventually let him walk cross town to our rivals.

Baker was a solid, do nothing great but EVERYTHING good TE and he complimented Keller extremly well. This is one move I caught heat for when I was furios about Baker leaving, family and friends said "who cares" but this was a big blow and someone we have yet been able to replace (though it has been a very short amount of time)

I hated letting him go and we will regret it if we do not make a move for a legit tight end or strike gold with this Jack Simmons. J'Nathan Bullock is a nice thought, but he is a poor and I mean very poor Dustin Keller same skills same style, Baker will be missed in this offense.

TE situation becoming tedious

[QUOTE=MiseryLovesCompany99;3197179]And this is why it was down right FOOLISH to let Chris Baker's contract situation get to were it did and eventually let him walk cross town to our rivals.

Baker was a solid, do nothing great but EVERYTHING good TE and he complimented Keller extremly well. This is one move I caught heat for when I was furios about Baker leaving, family and friends said "who cares" but this was a big blow and someone we have yet been able to replace (though it has been a very short amount of time)

I hated letting him go and we will regret it if we do not make a move for a legit tight end or strike gold with this Jack Simmons. J'Nathan Bullock is a nice thought, but he is a poor and I mean very poor Dustin Keller same skills same style, Baker will be missed in this offense.[/QUOTE]

Jets waive TE Owens, claim TE Brock from Panthers
    TEXT SIZE The Associated Press
    The New York Jets have waived tight end Richard Owens and claimed tight end Kevin Brock off waivers from the Carolina Panthers.

Owens missed several training camp practices with a leg injury, spending the last few days riding the stationary bike. Signed last month, Owens has 17 career catches for 141 yards and a touchdown in four NFL seasons with Minnesota and St. Louis.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I liek the thought of a UDFA TE making it too, but you quoted my post and then replied with this like it is our answer. Let's see, I am not going to discount the guy, partially because I am a Scarlet Knight fan, and because I have not yet seen him in action on an NFL feild, but really you think this is a reason to rejoice? Picking up Kevin Brock is not what I was looking for...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=MiseryLovesCompany99;3197179][B]And this is why it was down right FOOLISH to let Chris Baker's contract situation get to were it did and eventually let him walk cross town to our rivals. [/B]

I hated letting him go and we will regret it if we do not make a move for a legit tight end or strike gold with this Jack Simmons. J'Nathan Bullock is a nice thought, but he is a poor and I mean very poor Dustin Keller same skills same style, Baker will be missed in this offense.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It didn't need to come to that silly option that Tanny created. He could have given him a bit more (just like he could have done with Kendall) and we would have been better off.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Thank You man! It really didnt have to and shouldnt have came to that.

And not for nothing but the option WAS NOT THAT BAD and we are and were in a cap position to pick it up I dont see what the problem was. For such a good (not great yet) GM that Tanny has shown to be he seems to take things like this a little personal and it may scew his thoughts when the situation is presented later on on the subject with these players.

All League
    [QUOTE=MiseryLovesCompany99;3197179]
    Baker was a solid, do nothing great but EVERYTHING good TE and he complimented Keller extremly well..[/QUOTE]

And based on what I've seen from Baker in the 6 Pats practices I've seen, you are an astute observer. Baker seems to do everything well, and while no one expects him to be an impact player (good knows we have enough of those already- Brady Moss and Welker), he looks like he will be a great roll player. A guy who can block, catch, and play the HBack position.

Right now it looks like the Pats will keep 4 TEs, most likely Smith, Watson, Thomas, and Baker, since the don't have a true FB on the roster. A guy the Jets might look at is Tyson Devryss. He's the 5th TE right now and has nothing to make cutting him easy. I think he's a decent looking prospect who is just in a bad situation with the Pats

If all else fails, maybe we can sign Sean Ryan when he gets cut at the end of pre-season.

[QUOTE=MiseryLovesCompany99;3197179]And this is why it was down right FOOLISH to let Chris Baker's contract situation get to were it did and eventually let him walk cross town to our rivals.

I don't think most of us appreciated Baker.He was a solid player,You are right he did nothing great but didn't suck at anything either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Cimini said today that Bubba Franks is rehabbing his injury and the Jets might re-sign him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    If Bubba can ever get healthy again he may be what we are looking for as far as a ONE YEAR blocking TE but he is no long term answer, and based on last year he just can't get healthy...

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3197253]And based on what I've seen from Baker in the 6 Pats practices I've seen, you are an astute observer. Baker seems to do everything well, and while no one expects him to be an impact player (good knows we have enough of those already- Brady Moss and Welker), he looks like he will be a great roll player. [/QUOTE]

Typical Pat fan moron comment. It's "role" player idiot, not "roll" player. Duh.

Dont forget about Kareem Brown. Unfortunately I didnt see anything so far, but everything I read about his transfer to TE, sounds like its working out for him.

Jets Insider VIP
    It will be quite funny when Kareem Brown who Video Bill pissed away after drafting him in the fourth round turns out to be a better player at TE than Chris "Should have been cut for the last five seasons" Baker, who he overpaid big bucks as a FA

I think Jet fans overrate Baker because of his phenomenal hands. The camera does a close up of the QB sticking his hands into Mangold's crotch and then follows him as he drops back and then throws to Baker who makes a great catch, because his hands really are special. What people miss is that he's slow as crap and falls to the ground after even the slightest attempt at a tackle. His big strength, great hands, shows up well on tv. But he's not special in the other areas. And he complained too much. What were those statistics, he was the 17th highest paid TE and had the 18th most catches or something like that. Let him go.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ryan Boru;3197535]I think Jet fans overrate Baker because of his phenomenal hands. The camera does a close up of the QB sticking his hands into Mangold's crotch and then follows him as he drops back and then throws to Baker who makes a great catch, because his hands really are special. What people miss is that he's slow as crap and falls to the ground after even the slightest attempt at a tackle. His big strength, great hands, shows up well on tv. But he's not special in the other areas. And he complained too much. What were those statistics, he was the 17th highest paid TE and had the 18th most catches or something like that. Let him go.[/QUOTE]

Thankfully Keller breaks the long line of Jet Clod TE's who are easily brought down by tripping over yard stripes on the field that began with Kyle Brady, continued with Anthony "Skillethands" Becht and ended with Chris "Slower than Sludge" Baker

Baker had to go because he would be due a ridiculous amout of money. That said, Keller can't block. No TE blocking, no running attack. Period.
    Maybe Browne can block, but he's a DE. Catch? Right!
    Bullock (the hoops guy) and Simmons must not be setting any records at TC.
    Owens sitting on a bike. Way to make the team.
    At least Brock from Rutgers caught a few ball last year. 10+YPC. But can the boy block? OK size, but blocking is everything.
    bubba is done.

The Jets management blew that one big time! I still shaking my head for that crapshoot.