Thread: Harris to Have More Freedom

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Harris to Have More Freedom

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/08/happy_david_harris_looking_for.html[/url]

[quote]CORTLAND, N.Y. -- He seems to wear a perpetual game face that gives off an air of aloofness. But Sunday, Jets inside linebacker David Harris displayed a part of him he rarely shows in public.
    As he trudged off the field following a rain-soaked morning practice, the 6-foot-2, 245-pound tackling machine revealed his soft side. He exploded into a mega-watt smile when the subject turned to June 19 when he married his college sweetheart, Jiali Wu, on the Caribbean island of St. Lucia.
    The couple dated for five years before finally tying the knot in a small ceremony in front of family and two best men, boyhood friends from his native Grand Rapids, Mich.

''We had our honeymoon down there, too,'' said a beaming Harris. ''That's paradise already. You don't need to go anywhere else. We had a good time.

''Jiali (pronounced Jolly) brings me a lot of joy and happiness in my life. I'm glad I did it. I'm so happy.''
    If Harris is happy, the Jets are elated. After an injury-filled 2008 season, Harris is back and ready to team with ex-Ravens linebacker Bart Scott in the middle of what promises to be an intimidating, blitz-happy defense that coach Rex Ryan is ready to risk his reputation on.

''That's pretty good,'' said Ryan of the pair. ''I think every team in the league wishes they had a combo of those two guys.''

The hope is that Scott and Harris can wreak the same type of mayhem that Scott and his all-universe former teammate, Ray Lewis, did for the past four seasons in Baltimore. Anchored by the pair, the Ravens never finished lower than sixth in the NFL in total defense during that stretch.

This season, Harris will be given more freedom. In the 3-4 scheme, he was solely a run stuffer. Now, he'll be able to blitz, drop back into pass cover and play the run. Ryan calls him a ''complete'' middle linebacker.

''All the linebackers are excited,'' said Harris. ''Opposing offenses will never know what's going to come. We're going to be flying around. We think it's going to be a special year.''

In Baltimore, Scott was the set-up man for Lewis, doing all the dirty work while Lewis got all the glory, and the tackles. This season, Scott will again play the role of the facilitator, crashing into lead blockers so Harris can make the tackle. But there will be a new twist.

Whereas Scott and Lewis weren't interchangeable, Scott and Harris are. Thus, Harris will sometimes run interference for Scott and the pair will share the accolades.

''I'm hoping we can complement each other and be a dynamic duo in the middle,'' said Scott, who has notched four consecutive 100-plus-tackle seasons. ''We want people to know it's going to be tough sledding when they deal with either one of us.''

Asked if the tandem might remind people of he and Lewis, Scott said, ''We're far away from that. We just have to continue to work. That's putting a Hall-of-Famer in the scenario.''

Harris, 25, says he's looking forward to pairing with the trash-talking Scott.

''It's going to be fun because Bart is an energetic guy,'' said Harris. ''He plays with a lot of passion and he knows the defense. He's like a coach on the field.''

Harris, who led the Jets in tackles with 117 as a rookie -- the first rookie since 1979 to do so, suffered through an injury-riddled sophomore slump last season. He missed most of training camp with a foot injury, suffered a groin injury against the Chiefs in Week 7 that required surgery (he missed five games) and sustained a broken fibula in the season finale against the Dolphins.

''Last season was a down year for me,'' said Harris, who finished with 87 tackles in 11 games. ''Hopefully, it was just one of those years and I got all of the injuries out of the way and I can keep getting better.''[/quote]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the defense has more freedom.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't get articles like this because "more freedom" means what exactly?

This is a guy who had 5 sacks and 80+ tackles as a rookie and then got injured for his sophomore year...what freedoms didn't he have?

Vague and general...just how we like it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3197121]I really don't get articles like this because "more freedom" means what exactly?

This is a guy who had 5 sacks and 80+ tackles as a rookie and then got injured for his sophomore year...what freedoms didn't he have?

Vague and general...just how we like it.[/QUOTE]

Did you even bother reading the article?

Last year he was primarily a run-stuffer. This year he will be moved around in a way that the offense won't know his role as easily. What's so hard to understand?

I won't pretend to know all the intracacies of Ryan's defense vs. Mangini's. But when Harris himself says . . .

"All the linebackers are excited,'' said Harris. ''Opposing offenses will never know what's going to come. We're going to be flying around. We think it's going to be a special year.''

Is that just posturing? Maybe. But to imply there's no substance to the thought sure SOUNDS like trolling (which I know you'd NEVER consider doing . . .;))

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year he was primarily injured.

I'd expect our players to be excited...we have alot of positive headlines what with a new regime and new era once again rolling in...but I consider most of those lines fairly fluffy.

What can I say...I prefer action...and I'm sure the team does too.

Oh, and I read the article this morning in one of those old school "newspaper" things you hear people talking about once in a while.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harris will bounce back to his rookie form and show us all the LB we saw that year when he was all over the place and every hit seemed to be a solid "wow who was that." Scott will truly do more in terms of letting people know were they gotta be and what to expect from the defense in training camp, but come gamedays he will be even that much more valuable in terms of knowing were and when he can bend his responsibilities in terms of the overall defense.

Harris will benefit with the addition of Scott the way D'Brick has benefitted with the addition of Faneca.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3197121]I really don't get articles like this because "more freedom" means what exactly?

Did you even read the article, in a newspaper or otherwise? It's pretty clear what they meant when they said "more freedom." Try your reading comprehension again:

[B][I]"In the 3-4 scheme, he was solely a run stuffer. Now, he'll be able to blitz, drop back into pass cover and play the run."[/I][/B]

Somehow I don't think you give a crap about the article or what it says, implied or otherwise. It's pretty clear you've become a troll.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shevys;3197223]Did you even read the article, in a newspaper or otherwise? It's pretty clear what they meant when they said "more freedom." Try your reading comprehension again:

[B][I]"In the 3-4 scheme, he was solely a run stuffer. Now, he'll be able to blitz, drop back into pass cover and play the run."[/I][/B]

Somehow I don't think you give a crap about the article or what it says, implied or otherwise. It's pretty clear you've become a troll.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/facepalm.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mangini and Sutton may have been lousy playcallers but the two-gap 3-4 isn't somehow a broken scheme or system. Bellichick's teams are consistent contenders and that's the defense they have used since he took over as HC. The difference is, Bellichick, in his SB years, called for constant shifts and movement by his linebackers to confuse offenses, and even without star pass rushers his defenses never rank in the bottom ten in any major category. Mangini lost sight of that and continued to call cover defenses whether we were ahead or behind in points.

Rex's attack defense, imo, suits the personnel here much better than the two-gap though. Flexibility and aggression are what we lacked last year on defense with Jenkins playing injured because of our piss poor DL depth, a 34 year old Ty Law suiting up as our starter for the last six games, and Rhodes being played back constantly to help out guys like Lowery, Poteat, Law, and Elam. Now we have a true cover SS, a dominant ILB with an attitude to match, and a former Pro-Bowl corner in Lito playing opposite Revis. The defense as a unit appears to be cohesive ("gelled") from everything we're hearing and only has really a couple of weak links (Douglas, Gholston) who may wind up performing well anyway.
    Last edited by XingDaorong; 08-03-2009 at 08:21 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chica me Tipo
    is wishing JI was his friend.
    Hall Of Fame

[SIZE="4"][B]Join Date: Jan 2009

4,435 posts/216 days= 20 posts per day

....maybe you should try the quality over quantity approach

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;3197240]Chica me Tipo
    is wishing JI was his friend.
    Hall Of Fame

[SIZE="4"][B]Join Date: Jan 2009

4,435 posts/216 days= 20 posts per day

....maybe you should try the quality over quantity approach[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can suck a bag of d's.

Thanks for the relevant post.

Alright, I'll pretend Harris' role last year wasn't diminished, but was always that way. It had nothing to do with him being injured and missing 7 games. He was perfectly healthy but he was just held down by the man...as was the whole team.

JI smiles?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3197243]Maybe you can suck a bag of d's.

Thanks for the relevant post.

Keep pretending Harris' role last year wasn't diminished, but was always that way. It had nothing to do with him being injured and missing 7 games.[/QUOTE]

No thanks on your homosexual offer. And iif you compare your posts with mine I think mine was much more relevant. Plus my sig kicks your sigs ass. Loser.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shevys;3197223]Did you even read the article, in a newspaper or otherwise? It's pretty clear what they meant when they said "more freedom." Try your reading comprehension again:

Somehow I don't think you give a crap about the article or what it says, implied or otherwise. It's pretty clear you've become a troll.[/QUOTE]

Chica, STFU you pathetic little knat!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3197257]Chica, STFU you pathetic little [B]knat[/B]![/QUOTE]

It's ACTUALLY spelled G-N-A-T. Gnat[IMG]http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/willow/gnat-info0.gif[/IMG]

If you're going to be as A$$Hole and name call, at least get it right:cool:

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ladies Ladies Ladies everyone relax... Lets talk football and leave it at that huh...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;3197332]It's ACTUALLY spelled G-N-A-T. Gnat[IMG]http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/willow/gnat-info0.gif[/IMG]

If you're going to be as A$$Hole and name call, at least get it right:cool:[/QUOTE]

Don't stick up for Chica, he deserves every bit of harassment on this board..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It means David Harris is tired of white guys hogging up all the Asian chicks and now he has the "freedom" to get in on that great deal too.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;3197244]...my sig kicks your sigs ass. [/QUOTE]

+1

Quite possibly my favorite sig of all time!